FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Which is your favorite story in Maps in a Mirror, and why?

Author Topic: Which is your favorite story in Maps in a Mirror, and why?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
It is difficult for me to pick just one, but golly, since I started this thread, I had better put my money where my mouth is...

It's close, but it has to be between "Mortal Gods" and "The Bully and the Beast".

For me "The Bully and the Beast" takes a look at how evil men can twist the morality of moral men to make them do what they want. How are moral people supposed to live in A-moral world? The idea that truth can save you is always appealing, neh?

"Mortal Gods" is one short short story. But the concept that death is not only our most human trait, but also one of our greatest strengths was something I had never considered before this story. The fact that our bodies will betray us, failing one organ at a time until we cease to be (if your lucky) can only be considered a good thing if you truly consider the alternative. Eternal life might not be all it's cracked up to be.

Okay, it's Mortal Gods, my favorite short story by OSC.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for picking out those two stories. While I rail against "theme" in fiction, "Mortal Gods" is one of my few stories that absolutely has a theme. Of course, that also means that I pay the price for it - it makes you think, but it's the idea, not the events (such as they are) that becomes imprinted in the memory.

Which is perfectly all right, if the idea feels important and true to you. It certainly does to me, or I wouldn't have written it.

As for Bully and the Beast, I'm very proud of that story. I've long wished that it could have a life of its own, outside anthologies and story collections. And that wish WILL be fulfilled. It's under contract with TOR for me to turn it into a YA novel.

However, that will entail removing a good bit of snideness and sexual innuendo. Which is fine - there are things I will add to the longer YA-novel version that will very much replace those aspects. But I'll still miss them. So the novelet version will continue to exist - for grownups <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite and most haunting is the one story abou the musician.. who plays beautiful music but they cut off his fingers. I'm at work, so I can't remember the name of it right now -- someone help me out -- I know many have mentioned it as one of their favorites....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata

That's an absolutely heartbreaking tale. OSC's 'Monkey's Paw'.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Yeah - I was just reading another thread where Unaccompanied Sonata was mentioned and I thought, "that's it!"

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata. It touched me. It was a beautiful tale that rings true.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Porcelain Salamander

Too many "why's" to list.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Dogwalker and Unaccompanied Sonta.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Porcelain Salamander is by far my favorite as well. I don't know why, though-I haven't ever had an experience of loss like that, or anywhere near that level of suffering. Everytime I read through Maps in a Mirror, I read that one first and at least one other time.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, this one's hard... especially since it's been about a year since I read through Maps in a Mirror, so I don't remember the titles to many of the stories. I really loved A Sepulchre of Songs (as well as Emily Card's stage adaptation and performance), and of course Damn Fine Novel lived up to its title....
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surveyor 2
Member # 347

- posted      Profile for Surveyor 2   Email Surveyor 2         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, Unaccompanied Sonata, The Porcelain Salamander, The Bully and the Beast. Each one in Fables and Fantasies is a jewel. I am happy to hear that B&B will get new attention. Other my personal favorites are The Monkeys... (it reads like New Space Opera decades before Banks or Alastair Reynolds) and Eye for Eye.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MKellar
Member # 8133

- posted      Profile for MKellar   Email MKellar         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I only read part of Maps in a Mirror, but my favorite was the one with the man going through multiple gruesome deaths. I don't remember the title, but I figure that description is a good way to identify it =0). I'm not sure what it says about me that I liked it so much though.
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sandmagic is one of my favourite short stories of all time.

I also love Dogwalker and Mortal Gods.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogwalker- "OSC does cyberpunk!?" Yes, and very well with a lot of heart.

Eye for an Eye- Hey, an accidental serial killer caught in a struggle between both sides of his nutjob family (and wait till you meet his mom, Tammy Faye.)

Bully and the Beast- already mentioned

The Princess and the Bear- rather simple, but very touching. She married a wolf and the bear saved her.

Freeway Games- I still haven't been able to bring myself to play some of these games. Perhaps because these characters get-off when their games have serious consequences.

Fat Farm- funny and pointedly critical. And Guess where A has been hiding?

The Originist- A perfect foundation short story telling where the 2nd foundation came from, not-withstanding Asimov's own additions to the canon. Actually, with some mental tweaking, it fits fairly nicely. And the explanation about the things that make us human are really cool.

Saving Grace- poor kid. Can heal everybody but himself.

A Thousand Deaths- Hmmm, shark tank? check! Hanging? Check! Boiled in Oil? Check! What's left for a dissenter who refuses to recant properly and has been killed too many times to tell?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomolos
Member # 7703

- posted      Profile for Nomolos   Email Nomolos         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bully and the Beast for sure. All my warrior characters in any online / fantasy game I play have been aptly named "Bork the Bully".

Here is one of them...

..ok, ok..so maybe Bork the Bully didn't carry around a glowing axe, but it's close enough!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy is the best for me.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Wrong thread...

Kingsmeat and Unaccompanied Sonata.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary Robinette Kowal
Member # 8388

- posted      Profile for Mary Robinette Kowal           Edit/Delete Post 
The Middle Woman has been a favorite of mine for years. I think it is a perfect jewel-box of a story.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Kingsmeat.

sentimental favorite--Dogwalker... I still have a soft spot for really well-done cyberpunk. Sue me.

other sentimental favorite--Eye for an Eye? is that what it's called, the main character is Mick Yow?
Unaccompanied Sonata is good, but it doesn't grab me like the other 3.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
to OSC--why didn't you ever flesh out the Eye for an Eye story, or whatever it's called, with Mick Yow? That would have made a fine novel.

[ July 21, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: steven ]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the whole book so its hard to decide but it i think my favorites had to be Fat Farm and 1000 Deaths
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
1st: "Unaccompanied Sonata" (which also happens to be my favorite short story ever, by anyone)

Reason: To me, it is about dedication, determination, courage, and, most of all, about how the power of beauty and grace overcomes fear, if not at first then at last. And also I love music. [Smile]

2nd: "The Porcelain Salamander"

Reason: To me, it is about love, not romantic love, but love that surpasses understanding.

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
"Memories of my Head" because it puts a humorous spin on suicide.
"Mortal Gods" because of the paragraph begining, "Everything you do smacks of death." That was probably the most powerful idea in the book, for me at least.
"Unaccompanied Sonata" for reasons unexplainable.
And "I think Mom and Dad are Going Crazy, Jerry" because hypocritical-brand-new-driver me thinks it's a great idea, but shouldn't be put in to play until I have children and they start driving.
Funnily enough, provided that "funnily" is a word, the stories I supplied for my GOB (Gathering of Bibliophiles) meeting were "A Thousand Deaths" and "Deep Breathing Exercises". Guess I was feeling a tad sadistic. ^-^;

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Nomolos - I'll try to give Bork a glowing axe in the novel I'm working on right now.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.