FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Orson, Against n00bs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Orson, Against n00bs?
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
Somthing I noticed, whenever somone new post a 'Hi i'm new' topic, OSC seems to never replys a welcome.

I know its stupid for me, The Great Ginosion, notice somthing like this (let alone post a topic about it).

Maybe I just havn't seen the Welcomes, who knows. But I truely think OSC is against n00bs.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Neah, he's just against annoying noobs. [Razz]

Seriously, he probably doesn't have the time to welcome everybody. It's we, the rest of the posters, who usually welcome the newbies.

And I'd rather he replied to our questions than take the time to greet each of us separately. But that's just me. [Big Grin]

Oh, and welcome to Hatrack! Enjoy your stay here! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that OSC is against the new people; it's simply that he probably pays more attention to the more serious threads regarding politics, religion et cetera. While posting there (on the "serious" threads), I doubt he treats people unequally based on their posts or their time registered.

That's my thought.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Oh, and welcome to Hatrack! Enjoy your stay here! [Wave]

Actually i'm not new, i've been on the forums for a while now.

Well, I know he is a very busy(old) man. But he is on the forums now and then replying to threads. So there should be a point and time were he has a little free time to welcome one or two n00bs.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the deal: very few people welcome newbies, mainly because there's no actual need. It's just ego-stroking. That he's EVER posted in a "Hey, I'm new" thread -- and he has -- is astonishing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
he IS against the newbies. He started and pays for this place so that Tom and a couple of other oldest members have a place to hang out.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mind K.A.M.A. She's still just a beta release.

Oh, and I know you're not really new. It's just that this is the first time I talked to you. (and you *are* fairly new.)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. We're ALL against n00bs.

:devours Ginosion:

Mmm. . . not as good as fresh baby, but still. . . Delicious!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somthing I noticed, whenever somone new post a 'Hi i'm new' topic, OSC seems to never replys a welcome.

I'm sorry, I find this almost insulting. The man is an author, that's what pays his bills. Not posting on an internet forum. There's really nothing that implies Mr. Card will be reading and replying to every post. In fact, Mr. Card's recent posting is quite a change from the past. I can probably count on one hand the amount of posts of Mr. Card I read from when I joined to when he recently started contributing. And like Tom said, there really isn't a need for the owner of the site to welcome EVERY person to the board.

So, to almost demand Mr. Card welcome everybody is a very loony idea.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know why Card didn't come over here last week and help me fix my swamp cooler or read to my kids. [Grumble]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
He hates you.

Just like my cat

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it. [Cry]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, scottneb.

Honestly, I can not think of another author who is as generous to his readership as Mr. Card is. That this generousity has led to criticism from his fans alleging that he is not generous enough is ungrateful and rude. You are IN Mr. Card's HOUSE when you are on this website. He has graciously opened his doors to all who want to meet here. Why would you insult our host?

Get over yourself. You are entitled to nothing here. The opportunity to post is a privilege. Thank your host for granting it, and behave. [No No]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Okay, here's the deal: very few people welcome newbies, mainly because there's no actual need. It's just ego-stroking. That he's EVER posted in a "Hey, I'm new" thread -- and he has -- is astonishing.

This is true.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate "I'm new" threads, but not nearly so much as "I'm leaving" threads [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm standing behind Mier Tante's words. In a Jewish-Orthodox-Jerusalemite-Haredi way of standing behind the laws of Sabbath.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I knew it. [Cry]

Sheesh. Now who's the crybaby?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

"Cry, baby cry... Make your mother sigh..."
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Most messageboards I go to that are on an author's website rarely are actually visited by the author.

I think it's pretty amazing that OSC has replied to even one thing I've said. Sometimes it's hard to remember that he's a person, not just a great author.

I did originally post a "Hi, I'm new" thread. That was more because I was very aware of how 'intimate' this community seems and I was a little uncomfortable with just jumping into a debate or giving pretty empty sympathy to someone I don't know. It had nothing to do with my ego. It didn't, I say!

Well. Maybe just a little bit.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Cyborg.

It's a amazing that someone who gives so much of his time to others, lives his whole life to support his family, and still finds time to even answer questions and banters with his guest/members is accused of hating.

I think the accusation was to provoke OSC to talk to you in the attempt to feed your ego. *wink* [Big Grin] [Evil]

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

"Unlike Tom with his common belief that anything anyone else does has something to do with that person's selfish ego (damn, what a Freudian!) - I believe you."

I was about to post this, then I saw you wrote "Well. Maybe just a little bit".

Edited for punctuation corrections.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

I am sorry. [Cry]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 8166

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's because there's nothing interesting about someone who says, "Hi, I'm gnu."

Now, if you said, "Hi, I'm wildebeest" that would be much more interesting.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I am sorry.
What for?
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well, for proving TomDavidson atleast partially right.

I wasn't sorry, though. Not really anyway. [Smile]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Then you gave Tom more righteousness points.

Now, you apologised for your ego, right? Can't anyone be on my side facing Tom?

Chungwa
Member # 6421

Maybe I can be on your side. Maybe I wasn't stroking my ego. TomDavidson's post just coerced me into thinking I was!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

That evil Freudian...! [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, Jon, I don't think everyone here is self-centered. I don't, for example, think Chungwa is. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I call tell you that OSC is not against Newbies because it seems that he is always telling people at book signings they need to come and be a part of this online community! But hi is just an ego stroke on a board like this. Its ok to say hey I am new but I do not expect an out pouring of welcomes....ever one was new at some point!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Tom, you're so charmingly biased. [Razz]
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
Can't anyone be on my side facing Tom?
It's not in my contract. Tom owns my soul.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
if he hated newbs he'ld lock the forum to n00b protect it, and then put a password on it for idiot protection. And then 256 byte encryption to MAKE SURE that some luck newbie won't accidentally break in.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Says the n00b
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
WAIT.. WAIT^!!!##@#%@%

Was my post supporting TOM???>. That can't be! Help.. !!!!

Tom is good, Tom is right, don't question Tom.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Tom Davidson = I am Dvonstod

So like "Tom Marvolo Riddle = I am Lord Voldemort", from now on Tom will be the one whom we call the Dark Fraud, and no-one should ever say the D Word.

[ July 19, 2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, your obsession with Tom is edging toward unhealthy . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I was never healthy. Uh, Rivka - have you ever heard of Rabbi Nathan Laufer? He seems to know all the Jews in the US...
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

lol thats funny.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
All *mumble* million of them? I think I may have read a book by him, but I don't believe I've ever met the gentleman.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

He wrote a book about Passover ("A/The Passover Journey"). I was going to recommend it to you. $25 apiece. Very nice family, good friends of mine.
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card evidently doesn't reply to "I'm a newb and I feel descriminated against welcome threads." =รพ
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
I hate "I'm new" threads, but not nearly so much as "I'm leaving" threads [Smile]

Hi, I'm new and I'm leaving!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMBG
Member # 8390

- posted      Profile for TMBG   Email TMBG         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new. So is it over-eager of me to expect a dinner invitation to the Card's house while I'm visiting NC in October? Just wondering.

My soul is up for grabs. Any takers?

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

quote:
Originally posted by TMBG:
Hi, I'm new. So is it over-eager of me to expect a dinner invitation to the Card's house while I'm visiting NC in October? Just wondering.

My soul is up for grabs. Any takers?

Orem egh, I live in ogden myself. Orson lived in Orem I beleave. hmmm...
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

tisk tisk what exactly is the worth of a soul anyways?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpEeDMaSTeR:

Mr. Card evidently doesn't reply to "I'm a newb and I feel descriminated against welcome threads."

Or has he?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, new citizen of Hatrack. This is a personal message to you, individually. I am so glad you are posting messages now. I hope you will continue. And if you are starting an "I'm new here" thread, then feel free to paste this message into it, because I truly mean it for YOU, personally. Because I love you. I love the very idea of you. Bring your friends here and I will love them, too. But never as much as I love YOU.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

[ROFL]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Well, I personally have seen OSC post more to NEW people (as he just did) than to a lot of other threads.

Just count yourself very lucky that he has time to post at all. When I first joined in 2003, it was kind of understood that He was on the forum very very infrequently -- and I don't think I saw him post for many months after I got here.

You're just lucky he has had time to browse the forums and post some this spring and summer. (getting feedback on his latest books, I'm sure! [Wink] )

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.