FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ultimate Iron Man by OSC

Author Topic: Ultimate Iron Man by OSC
JOHN89
Member # 8419

- posted      Profile for JOHN89           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone reading this?

http://www.newsarama.com/Ultimate_Marvel/ULTIM001_ALT_COV.jpg

I know some people will turn there nose up to comic books, but they’re no as geeky or as vapid as the stereotype would have you believe.

I’ve been a comic fan for a long time and always wanted to see Card venture into the medium. (I was always hoping for Silver Surfer, but I’ll take what I can get) I knew the story would be good as it is Card after all, but it’s surprising how well he adapted to comic script writing.

The pacing and meshing with the artist (Andy Kubert---one of the top in the industry) is spot on. Only two issues have come out so far, but they’ve been quite good, and rather eerie. He’s on the book for two 5 issue mini series.

Really enjoyable read, and one of the comics I looked forward to.

JOHN!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually picked up this series because OSC is behind parts of it(after some mocking from my friends and family for embracing my inner geek and buying comic books).

I have to say they are all REALLY good and I dont read comic books normally. I cant wait for the next one to come out!

[ July 29, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: RynoW1 ]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that these books are working for you. Since i'm a complete novice at comics writing, I'm nervous about it - changing forms is hard - but I'm glad that I'm not embarrassing myself.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daric
Member # 8402

- posted      Profile for Daric   Email Daric         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to do everything Uncle Orson.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN89
Member # 8419

- posted      Profile for JOHN89           Edit/Delete Post 
They’re really working. It’s one of the best books on the market. I hope you do some more comics work after this. (I’m telling you Silver Surfer would be perfect. A tortured soul traveling through space, trying to find his way after being the herald of death. It leaves itself wide-open for philosophical musings that you’re so good at) While the focus of the industry has changed a bit in the last 15 years, making the writers the industry’s stars, there’s always room for more consistent top notch writers.

Granted, I’ll buy anything with your name on it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GOT
Member # 8976

- posted      Profile for GOT   Email GOT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm NOT liking the new penciler in UIM #5, Mark Bagley. I do hope that Marvel is not doing a bait-n-switch to him [Grumble]

Beauty without substance is fleeting. Substance without beauty is boring. In other words, KEEP ANDY KUBERT WITH ORSON SCOTT CARD!!! Doubt Marvel reads here, but I sure appreciate the writing by OSC and the art by Andy Kubert.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. You know, I like Andy Kubert..but I really hadn't even noticed that Mark was doing the art on #5. lol!! I gotta look at it again!

I like Mark's art though. He's great on Ultimate Spiderman imo.

Btw, Andy won't be staying on Ultimate Iron Man.

Andy and his brother Adam have signed a deal with DC comics and are going to be doing art for them.

A new artist will be doing the next Ultimate Iron Man mini-series.

It won't be Mark Bagley though. I forget the name of the new artist at the moment.

DF2506
" And I believe Mark just finished #5 for Andy because Andy was unavailable to finish it since he went to DC."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The changes in artist are entirely my fault, because I've been so slow in writing the scripts that contracts have run out, etc. Blame me. Meanwhile, I'm glad to have the chance to work with several excellent artists who are making me look much better at this than I really am.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Story is very good. I don't live and breathe comic books like GOT (who happens to be my brother [Big Grin] ) but I like the UIM comics and certainly wouldn't consider them an embarrassment!
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GOT
Member # 8976

Thanks for the info Orson and DF2506! Knowing what's going helps. [Cool]

quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
I don't live and breathe comic books like GOT ...

What, you mean there's something else to live for and breathe??? [Taunt]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a life GOT.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GOT
Member # 8976

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Get a life GOT.

I've got one and it's great. How 'bout you?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good. I'm just making sure that your not a bleached skin, basement dweller. [Smile]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GOT
Member # 8976

quote:
I'm good. I'm just making sure that your not a bleached skin, basement dweller. [Smile]

Well, I am in my basement... heh. But only about 30-60 min/day. [Cool]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Then its all good, its all good. [Smile]

But if thats so, then where do you sleep? Do you sleep on a tanning bed?

[ January 04, 2006, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

GOT
Member # 8976

quote:
But if thats so, then where do you sleep? Do you sleep on a tanning bed?

Hah, no. I work 70+ hours/week and part of that is outside. I sleep upstairs on a mattress on the floor (recently moved into the new house, got a queen bed frame and need a mattress that fits it). Our basement is a nice basement though, so I wouldn't mind spending more time down here [Razz]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well good luck with your new house.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.