FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ummmmm Israeli's and English...... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ummmmm Israeli's and English......
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so I'm on ICQ and an Israeli added me, and soon I found out he only knows like 12 words in English.

I thought most Israeli's spoke english???

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you think that? Sure, they take it in school, but how much French/Spanish/whatever you took in HS do you remember? Probably not fluent, neh?

Besides, you think apostrophes belong in plurals. [Wall Bash]

Wanna learn Hebrew? Let's begin:
א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י

Those are the first 10 letters of the aleph beit. When you can identify all of those, come back and we'll continue.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
aleph beit gimmel dalet hey waw tsion het tet yod
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Actually, English is one of the three national languages of Israel. Note that I said one of three. I spent 5 1/2 weeks in Israel in July/August of 1999 and while many people in Israel spoke English many also spoke Hebrew and many spoke Arabic. Some people spoke 2 languages and some spoke all three. The street signs were in all three languages. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to learn a language so poor it can't afford a few measly vowels. [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Hebrew is a very logical language. Every single word in Hebrew (at least ancient Hebrew, I never learned modern) has a three letter root word. Anything other than the three word root is a prefix or a suffix and only slightly alters the meaning of the word, making it past or present, passive or agressive etc.
andi330
Member # 8572

I took a year of ancient Hebrew during college. I also took a semester of ancient Greek. [Cool]
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Storm Saxon, at least Hebrew PRONOUNCES the vowels. Polish and other Slavic languages HAVE the vowels in the written language, they just don't use them in the actual WORDS.

A lot of people I met in Israel speak perfect English. But then, whom would they have meet with the American convention visitor? There were also many who struggled with their English. But ... they managed to communicate well enough - better than I could do in Hebrew, any day!

But your Israeli correspondent may be, in fact, far more fluent than appears in print. When you're listening to somebody trying to talk to you in your own language, you actually help them along - making guesses, putting the syntax together properly so you can understand the meaning, suggesting what words they might mean, occasionally correcting words.

In writing, however, no such helps are available. I know - I speak Portuguese and Spanish badly enough, but much better than I write them. Because as I write, I'm getting no look of comprehension from the person I'm "speaking" to ... just the blank stare of the paper. I don't have my instincts about what "sounds" right, especially now, more than thirty years after I lived in Brazil, so I probably correct sentences that were right and make them wrong because of the anxiety of that blank page and my keen awareness of not being a native speaker.

Andi330 - is there really an "aggressive" voice in Hebrew? Please tell me you meant "progressive tense" or I'll really have to study Hebrew just to find out if they really do have a separate mood - Passive, Indicative, Subjunctive, Imperative, and ... Aggressive!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was forced to learn french and never quite did, barely scraped together a pass mainly because I was uninterested in learning a language I'm forced to learn. However I DO want to learn Chinese and Russian, the Israeli person seems to love capslock [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

There sort of is, although it's not the same as what a "mood" or "tense" is in other languages. Hebrew has seven binyanim (literally, constructions). This is unusual enough that the word used to describe them in English is a fancy linguistics word that I can never remember. [Blushing] Google defines it as I did: construction. And perhaps "acting" is a better description than "aggressive"; but the two binyanim contain verbs that refer to someone/thing acting on/to others. (As opposed to the binyanim which are passive or reflexive.)

As far as vowels go, Hebrew has them. And every children's text shows them. As do the newspapers intended for people with limited Hebrew skills. But for most Hebrew speakers, actually showing the nikud (vowels, literally "dots") is superfluous. Much as putting accent marks for syllabification would be in English.

andi, you get a gold star. [Big Grin] Although you made some interesting transliteration choices. A correction though. It's not quite "every single word in Hebrew" that has a three letter shoresh (root). The vast majority do; but there are rare 2- or 4- letter exceptions. Also, the same shoresh can mean VERY different things when conjugated in different binyanim. However, I would agree that Hebrew is one of the more logical and internally consistent languages. As one of my Hebrew teachers put it: "In Hebrew there are occasional yotzei min ha'clal (exceptions to the rule). In English, it's all yotzei min ha'clal!" [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because English is not actually a language. It's several languages, all mooshed together like a bag of candies left in a hot car.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Exactly. And I am so stealing that description!
andi330
Member # 8572

Sorry about the transliteration. My Hebrew teacher didn't allow us to use transliteration, either on our own or what was in the books. He felt that students became to dependent on the transliteration and then didn't actually learn to read the Hebrew. As you can see, I followed his instructions. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh*
andi330
Member # 8572

By the way, OSC, of course you were correct about the grammer. At one in the morning, when you are forcing yourself to stay awake to make the transition from a day shift where you had to be up and 5:30 to a night shift where you don't get home until midnight, sometimes thoughts don't come together properly. [Wink]

Not to mention the fact that, when asked to teach us grammer, my ninth grade English teacher responded,
quote:
We don't teach grammer because it's boring.
[Wall Bash] Another fine example of the American public school system. And before anyone asks, yes I am an American, and I grew up in the Fairfax County Public School system.
rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

Please. Please. grammar

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe the real reason is that some people inferred from some of Noam Chomsky's beliefs that teaching grammar doesn't help you understand the language any better, so English programs across the country were hijacked by literary criticism people.

I didn't even know what a mood was until I was a sophomore in college, and then it was only because a Canadian friend of mine told me that she appreciated the fact that I used the subjunctive so well. I really hope that someday there's a backlash against the whole no-grammar philosophy of English and we go back to teaching kids how their language actually works.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I take offense to that description of English. (Edited to clarify: The bag of candy thing.) English is as good a language as any other. You think it's not a language because it borrows from other languages? Fine. Show me one language that has no borrowings, and then we'll talk.

And by the way, English has plenty of rules. It's just that most people don't bother to learn them. I'm not sure what made educators in English-speaking nations abandon the teaching of them, but just because they're no longer taught doesn't mean they aren't there. And there are books out there that explain them, so even though English teachers no longer have any idea what they're talking about, it's still possible to learn them.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Excuse me. I know the rules of English grammar and usage pretty well. And was even taught them in HS (although I was probably the only one in my class who enjoyed learning grammar every Monday).

Many of English's rules are "more honored in the breach than the observance." And we're not just talking about a few borrowings; English was originally a blend of at least three different languages with very different rules and structures, and it shows it.

andi330
Member # 8572

I didn't mean to turn this into a sniping contest!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*aims down the Mosin Nagant scope*

*BANG!*

bull's eye. [Cool]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Andi330 - is there really an "aggressive" voice in Hebrew? Please tell me you meant "progressive tense" or I'll really have to study Hebrew just to find out if they really do have a separate mood - Passive, Indicative, Subjunctive, Imperative, and ... Aggressive!

I think "aggressive" should have been "active", or possibly "causative".

quote:
Originally posted by Andi330 :
aleph beit gimmel dalet hey waw tsion het tet yod

Andi, "tsion" should be "zayin". It's the letter "tsadi" that sounds kind of like "ts". Although that's not even the real sound. It's really an emphatic "s", which is a sound we don't have in English.

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And perhaps "acting" is a better description than "aggressive"; but the two binyanim contain verbs that refer to someone/thing acting on/to others. (As opposed to the binyanim which are passive or reflexive.)

Pardon my pedantry, but the way I understand the binyanim (and I'd call a binyan a form, though construct works as well), they work like this:

Using l-m-d as a triliteral root and giving only third person masculine singular past tense, and keeping in mind that some of these words don't really exist, since not every root is used in every one of the binyanim:
  • Qal or Pa'al form (basic):
    Lamad - He learned.
  • Beinoni pa'ul form (stative - tenseless, used as an adjective only, often not counted as a binyan, and equally often mistakenly called "passive"):
    Lamud - Learned (as a lesson is learned; not as a person may be considered learned).
  • Hif'il form (causative of Qal form):
    Hilmid - He caused someone to learn.
  • Huf'al form (passive of Hif'il form):
    Hulmad - He was caused to learn.
  • Nif'al form (reflexive of Hif'il form, often erroniously taught as passive of Qal form):
    Nilmad - He caused himself to learn.
  • Pi'el form (causative of Beinoni pa'ul form):
    Limmed - He taught (i.e., caused X to be learned).
  • Pu'al form (passive of Pi'el form):
    Lummad - It was taught (the lesson, not a person).
  • Shaf'el form (causative of Pi'el form - rarely used):
    Shilmed - He caused someone to teach (though in Modern Hebrew, if such a word existed, it would probably be understood as meaning to "re-teach").
  • Hitpa'el form (reflexive of Pi'el form):
    Hitlammed - It caused itself to be learned.
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
A correction though. It's not quite "every single word in Hebrew" that has a three letter shoresh (root). The vast majority do; but there are rare 2- or 4- letter exceptions.

To the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), all 4 letter roots are imports from other languages like l'talfen, neologisms like l'machshev, or words in the overlooked shaf'el binyan like l'shachzer, where the root is still really 3 letters.

And 2 letter roots really have a weak consonent like vav or yud as the middle letter. No?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Andi, "tsion" should be "zayin". It's the letter "tsadi" that sounds kind of like "ts". Although that's not even the real sound. It's really an emphatic "s", which is a sound we don't have in English.

As I posted earlier, I didn't learn transliteration when I took Ancient Hebrew in college. For anything. Even the alphabet. [Eek!] That's right, not even the alphabet. My Hebrew teacher believes that learning transliteration prevents students from learning to read the actual Hebraic language. As a result I didn't learn any of it. So again, I apologize for my poor transliteration of the alphabet. My Hebrew textbook is currently in a trunk along with my copy of the Brown Driver Briggs. [Big Grin]
andi330
Member # 8572

Do I get points for once having translated the entire book of Ruth? It was my spring semester assignment, along with an analysis of one component of the book of Ruth, using personal translations (which of course, need to be accurate). I wrote my paper on the concept of Levirite Marriage, specifically if that were actually what took place between Ruth and Boaz or if he was simply her second husband etc. [Cool]
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"aleph beit gimmel dalet hey waw tsion het tet yod "

Waw? I've never heard it pronounced that way, I think the proper pronunciation is vav.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I do believe that I have explained all the problems in my transliteration twice already on this thread. Give me a break.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Excuse me. I know the rules of English grammar and usage pretty well.
I didn't say you didn't. I'm just tired of being told my language is more illogical or nonsensical or stupid than other languages. And no, not all of those words were used in this thread. But I encounter them all the time, both from native and non-native speakers, and it's really become a sore point with me.

Native speakers of other languages get taught real grammar, so they know consciously what the rules of their languages are. English speakers in this era are, for some reason, not taught the rules. But you know every bit as well as I do that those rules are there, and that they are no more illogical than other languages.

quote:
English was originally a blend of at least three different languages with very different rules and structures, and it shows it.
If the languages you are talking about are Angle, Saxon, and Jute, then I'll buy that. But any European language is like that if you go back far enough. Even Latin wasn't pure.

But if you mean Anglo-Saxon, Latin, and French, then I have to differ with you. Not disagree outright, but differ. Modern English is a direct descendant of Anglo-Saxon, and is therefore a West Germanic language. Its grammar is native, and not--despite the best efforts of "experts" of past generations--Latin-based. If it looks more like a Romance language than any of the other Germanic languages, that's only because speakers of Romance languages conquered its homeland and imposed a thundering lot of vocabulary on to it.

So English is a Germanic language with a lot of Latin/French superimposed. There's no point denying that, but what I vehemently deny is the charge that this makes English "not actually a language".

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

[Monkeys]
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't tell us goys about the imperial tense. [Monkeys]

-o-

quote:
Native speakers of other languages get taught real grammar, so they know consciously what the rules of their languages are. English speakers in this era are, for some reason, not taught the rules. But you know every bit as well as I do that those rules are there, and that they are no more illogical than other languages.
I was with you up to a point, but, in fact, English grammar and syntax are generally less consistent and therefore less logical than those of other languages.

And I don't see any need to be defensive on this point. The upside is that English is, I think, the richest European language. It's a wonderful language for the storyteller or the poet or the writer.

-o-

You know, there are some English teachers who know and teach grammar.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I'm sure there are. And good for them, and good for their students, who will get the benefit of a genuine education in grammar. But most teachers don't, which is why most native speakers don't have enough grounding in the subject to really understand it.

(Foreign speakers, by and large, do learn the rules of English grammar. They have to in order to study it, plus their education in their own language gives them the grounding to understand the grammatical concepts. But real grammatical instruction for native English speakers is, in this day and age, extremely rare. I learned more about English grammar in my high school German class than I ever learned from any English class. Just sayin'.)

[ September 01, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok so I'm on ICQ and an Israeli added me, and soon I found out he only knows like 12 words in English.

I thought most Israeli's spoke english???

1. Most Israelis speak English. We learn it for about 8-9 years at school and if you continue to University, you have to pass an English test with a high grade or be forced to take some more English courses. Of course, there are always bad pupils that haven't learned much in school. There are also immigrants who didn't go to Israeli school.

2. Maybe the Israeli you mentioned was 12 [Smile] . In that case, 12 words is not bad (though not very impressive), since we only start to learn English at the age of 10-11.

3. Unlike some non-English speaking countries, we use sub-titles instead of dubbing in foreign films and tv shows. And since most foreign films and tv shows that get here are English speaking, we get to hear a lot of English on tv, which helps our English.

4. PS, did you know that ICQ was created by 4 Israelies ? I happened to know one of them. And I remember that when they wanted to record the voice notifications, they didn't want to record someone with an Israeli accent (which often doesn't sound very well), so they recorded a cousin of a friend of mine, who happened to live in the US.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
I do believe that I have explained all the problems in my transliteration twice already on this thread. Give me a break.

Actually, this time you're technically correct. Jaime doesn't realize it, but the correct pronunciation of that letter in Hebrew was absolutely waw. Among some groups of Jews, it still is. But when Ben Yehuda revived the language as a modern tongue, he used the German pronunciation of waw, which is vav. Like the German "wagen" is pronounced like the English "vagen".

Point: Andi330

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Do I get points for once having translated the entire book of Ruth? It was my spring semester assignment, along with an analysis of one component of the book of Ruth, using personal translations (which of course, need to be accurate). I wrote my paper on the concept of Levirite Marriage, specifically if that were actually what took place between Ruth and Boaz or if he was simply her second husband etc. [Cool]

Very cool! And yes, you do.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

As I posted earlier, I didn't learn transliteration when I took Ancient Hebrew in college. For anything. Even the alphabet. [Eek!] That's right, not even the alphabet. My Hebrew teacher believes that learning transliteration prevents students from learning to read the actual Hebraic language. As a result I didn't learn any of it. So again, I apologize for my poor transliteration of the alphabet. My Hebrew textbook is currently in a trunk along with my copy of the Brown Driver Briggs. [Big Grin]
I didn't mean to annoy you with the thing about zayin. I wasn't chiding you, or anything. Just making a correction to something I saw as a mistake. I hope you aren't angry about it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Goo Boy:
They don't tell us goys about the imperial tense. [Monkeys]

The plural of goy is goyim. Just thought I'd mention it. And I don't know what an imperial tense is. There's a pseudo-tense in Hebrew called tsivui, which means "command", or "imperative". Is that what you meant?

Like teileich means "you will go", but leich (without the beginning part) means "go!"

GaalD
Member # 6222

quote:
Actually, this time you're technically correct. Jaime doesn't realize it, but the correct pronunciation of that letter in Hebrew was absolutely waw. Among some groups of Jews, it still is. But when Ben Yehuda revived the language as a modern tongue, he used the German pronunciation of waw, which is vav. Like the German "wagen" is pronounced like the English "vagen".
Those Ashkenazim and their weird pronunciations of everything [Grumble] ... [Wink] And what's this calling him Ben Yehuda? His name is definitely Yehudah HaNasi *picking pointless argument for being proven wrong* [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually sorta knew that and typed it that way at first. I changed it because I wasn't certain I was using it correctly, and so I figured simply going with the universally understood "goys" was safer. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's get the Binyanim a little more simplified:

You've got seven. Check any dictionary, ask any academy person (and I have) - there are seven. Three active, three passive, one which is both. Beinony Pa'il and Beinony Pa'ul are both forms of Binyan Pa'al.

(I'm listing them in the parallels, "active - passive".)

Pa'al - Nifal;
Hif'il - Huf'al;
Pi'el - Pu'al;
Hitpael (which is both).

Note that the Binyanim have specified meanings, but none of them are properly consistent - meaning that different roots will have different semantics in the same form. "Hitnashek" means "[he] kissed", "hitratza" means "[he was] pardoned".

Shaf'el is a Binyan for four-letter roots, so if you want to add that, remember Hitshaf'el as it's passive form. Chck Aramaic for verification (Rabbi Steinsaltz wrote it in his Gemarrah-guide).

quote:
To the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), all 4 letter roots are imports from other languages like l'talfen, neologisms like l'machshev, or words in the overlooked shaf'el binyan like l'shachzer, where the root is still really 3 letters.
No. What about "hashmal" (and "barzel", but it's verbless) and all those xyxy (like pirper, gimgem, timtem)?

quote:
And 2 letter roots really have a weak consonent like vav or yud as the middle letter. No?
All the roots originated in two letters. And what about the word "shav"? It has no "weak" vav or yod that I remember!

quote:
I'm just tired of being told my language is more illogical or nonsensical or stupid than other languages.
But it is! I've learned Hebrew, Arabic and Latin grammar, all of which I believe I know rather well for the time I spent on them. None ven compares in complexity to English.

quote:
There's a pseudo-tense in Hebrew called tsivui
Pseudo-tense?! Tzivui is not pseudo! Just because Israelis forget it exists does not mean it's pseudo! It's a perfectly fine tense, being just as complete as the future tense is - having being formed contemporaily! If anything, cancel the "present" out as a tense!

quote:
And what's this calling him Ben Yehuda? His name is definitely Yehudah HaNasi *picking pointless argument for being proven wrong*
*Whacks Jaime.* (I finally get to whack someone.)

And I thought of teaching Hebrew in a good university one day...

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Wow. Grammar. [Wall Bash]
GaalD
Member # 6222

*Whacks Jonathon back* *Runs away like a chicken*
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*trips infront of Jaime getting into a big enough tangle that lasts just long enough for Jonathon to catch up
GaalD
Member # 6222

Arghhhh. You're right. My Tanach teacher was teaching us about both men in the same lesson and somehow I thought it was Hanasi who revived Hebrew. [Embarrassed]
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:

You've got seven. Check any dictionary, ask any academy person (and I have) - there are seven. Three active, three passive, one which is both. Beinony Pa'il and Beinony Pa'ul are both forms of Binyan Pa'al.

If you like. It's not very accurate, though. It's the commonly used explanation in Modern Hebrew, but it creates apparent anomalies where there are none. Like nichnas. Not a very passive verb there, but it works just fine as a causative reflexive.

quote:
Note that the Binyanim have specified meanings, but none of them are properly consistent - meaning that different roots will have different semantics in the same form. "Hitnashek" means "[he] kissed", "hitratza" means "[he was] pardoned".

They're a bit more consistent than they appear with the simplified schema you posted. Also, words that were coined in Modern Hebrew don't necessarily follow the original rules.

quote:
quote:
No. What about "hashmal" (and "barzel", but it's verbless) and all those xyxy (like pirper, gimgem, timtem)?
All of the xyxy roots are considered grammatically to be derived from xy. Except for those that were loan words to begin with. There are also a lot of xyy words that are really forms of xy.

Hashmal has no known antecedent in Hebrew. It appears once in the book of Ezekiel, and no one really knows what its original meaning was or what language it's from. Barzel... I don't know, actually. That's an interesting example. I'll have to look into it.

quote:
quote:
All the roots originated in two letters. And what about the word "shav"? It has no "weak" vav or yod that I remember!
Shav as in lashuv, or shav as in tefillat shav? With a vet or a vav?

quote:
quote:
I'm just tired of being told my language is more illogical or nonsensical or stupid than other languages.
But it is! I've learned Hebrew, Arabic and Latin grammar, all of which I believe I know rather well for the time I spent on them. None ven compares in complexity to English.
<nod> I agree completely. What do the words "teach", "fight", "catch", "think", "wreak", "buy" and "seek" have in common?

I'm glad I grew up speaking English, because I don't know that I would have had the patience for it otherwise.

quote:
quote:
There's a pseudo-tense in Hebrew called tsivui
Pseudo-tense?! Tzivui is not pseudo!
It's pseudo in the sense that it isn't really a tense. It's... I don't know what the proper word is. A mood, maybe?

quote:
Just because Israelis forget it exists does not mean it's pseudo! It's a perfectly fine tense, being just as complete as the future tense is - having being formed contemporaily! If anything, cancel the "present" out as a tense!

A case can be made for that.

quote:
quote:
And what's this calling him Ben Yehuda? His name is definitely Yehudah HaNasi *picking pointless argument for being proven wrong*
*Whacks Jaime.* (I finally get to whack someone.)
Heh.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

If you like. It's not very accurate, though. It's the commonly used explanation in Modern Hebrew, but it creates apparent anomalies where there are none. Like nichnas. Not a very passive verb there, but it works just fine as a causative reflexive.
Well, technically they're not exactly "verbs", but only part of the Beinony form which is called that because it's neither a verb nor a noun (like "shomer"). As for nichnas, it's like talking about the difference between [/i]nishmar[/i] and shamur, where both are - in fact - passive forms of "shomer" but are a loittl different. We haven't gone through the details of the complete properties of each binyan (like the reflexive bit in the case of nichnas, though it's quite different from hitkanes).

quote:
They're a bit more consistent than they appear with the simplified schema you posted. Also, words that were coined in Modern Hebrew don't necessarily follow the original rules.
Sure, they are remarkably consistent, in fact (with the exception as to what verb appears in what binyanim). I was giving a clear-cut example of a difference, but it as not using modern words... They are both Biblical.

As for the word hashmal, I can try and trace it's meaning today in Da'at Mikra (I simply don't have that volume at home, but at school the whole set is present).

quote:
Shav as in lashuv, or shav as in tefillat shav? With a vet or a vav?
With a vet rafa, שָׁב.

quote:
It's pseudo in the sense that it isn't really a tense. It's... I don't know what the proper word is. A mood, maybe?
It's a tense no less existent than the future tense. And we all know that that one is a proper one. People underestimate its value, sure, but it is as grammatically and structurally a tense as any others ("hove" taken out of account).

Jonathan

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, I've read (I think it was in James Michener's The Source) that you can get any three Jews together and get five opinions. Would this thread then be evidence that that statement is correct? [Wink]

(Before you villify me for being religionist/culturalist/racist, the same can be said for any three Canadians . . . Or Mennonites . . . Or . . .)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes. Except for five opinions, I think you only need two Jews.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It's two Jews and three opinions. So three and five should be right.

It's true, though; read any profound Halacha book (or the Gemarrah, for that matter).

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And right there, we have two and three. Thank you, rivka and JH for confirming that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkles*

*bows*

Hey, JH, think we should should take this on the road? [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

where would you get those books in english? I don't know why but I have this sort've fascination with Jewish culture that I can't explain in words.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.