FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ummmmm Israeli's and English...... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ummmmm Israeli's and English......
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.artscroll.com

The Gemarrah will never be the same not in the original Vilna publication, but that's the best you'll get. They're damn expensive, though.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
kk thanks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
http://www.artscroll.com

The Gemarrah will never be the same not in the original Vilna publication, but that's the best you'll get. They're damn expensive, though.

Just be wary of Artscroll books. They're okay for beginners, but they oversimplify a lot, and they tend to ignore alternate opinions in favor of one monolithic view that may not always reflect any kind of Orthodox Jewish consensus.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
See, the only thing of ArtScroll's that I possess is their cheapest Hebrew-only prayer-book, which cost me 5 times as much as another one from a different publication (that's also far better, and the book - though smaller - is hardcover).

I wouldn't know about their commentary. I specifically got something without it (or translation, for that matter).

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
See, the only thing of ArtScroll's that I possess is their cheapest Hebrew-only prayer-book, which cost me 5 times as much as another one from a different publication (that's also far better, and the book - though smaller - is hardcover).

I wouldn't know about their commentary. I specifically got something without it (or translation, for that matter).

I like Rinat Yisrael better.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Or Koren...
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Or Koren...

Their font makes my eyes hurt after a while. But it's nice to have a whole chumash with a siddur in back. Less to lug around.

I wonder how many people who read your post thought Koren was related to Quran? <grin>

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*raises hand*
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Laughs*, yeah - forgot about that!

Though it makes your eyes hurt, it's still the highest-quality font around.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
*Laughs*, yeah - forgot about that!

Though it makes your eyes hurt, it's still the highest-quality font around.

<shrug> I'm not sure what the objective criteria are for a font being high quality, but I far prefer the one used in the Rinat. I think it's called Frank Ruehl.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It's either Frank Ruehl or Times New Roman. The criterion from Koren's point on a good font is one that can cover all the Siddur/Machzor will ever need. And Guttman Keren (their font) is excellent because it fits letters, Niqqud and cantillation easily. It's FAR easier and better to read than Rinat Yisrael's typeface for Biblical passages.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
It's either Frank Ruehl or Times New Roman. The criterion from Koren's point on a good font is one that can cover all the Siddur/Machzor will ever need. And Guttman Keren (their font) is excellent because it fits letters, Niqqud and cantillation easily. It's FAR easier and better to read than Rinat Yisrael's typeface for Biblical passages.

It does do better with trope. That's true.
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, this thread has completely evolved beyond its original topic [Smile] (which in itself wasn't something I would have expected to find in this forum). Not that I'm complaining, it had some interesting moments, and brought back some vague memories from my final grammar exam on 10th grade [Big Grin] .
Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I have that exam in another few months. Any advice besides listening vigilantly, which I do?
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
As Scot in Israel, I've never been totally unable to communicate with an Israeli. Most Israelis (native Hebrew and native Arabic speakers) that I encounter do speak very good English. However, the people I encounter do tend to be university students, and you have to be able to speak a reasonably high level of English in order to get into university.

However, that said, I still encounter fluent English speakers in the least expected places.

It also helps that I speak rudimentary Hebrew, and that charades can be employed (not the case on ICQ).

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You can always talk to me in English, and I'm barely part of any university. I was a part - briefly - two years ago, but not really now.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I have that exam in another few months. Any advice besides listening vigilantly, which I do?

What test was that, again?
Lisa
Member # 8384

Still no answer to my quiz question:
quote:
What do the words "teach", "fight", "catch", "think", "wreak", "buy" and "seek" have in common?
C'mon, you language fans.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

they're all action verbs?
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reading this thread. Got halfway through it and wanted to kill myself. Grammar Nazis! Its ok guys. As long as the other guy gets the jist of what you mean you can usually figure out the rest. [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
they're all action verbs?

Hint: Put them in past tense.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

They are all infinitives.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Bah, I don't think I was ever taught english grammar, like WTF is an infinitive? We hear about in french class all the f*****g time yet we never understand it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
What do the words "teach", "fight", "catch", "think", "wreak", "buy" and "seek" have in common?

The past tense of teach is taught
The past tense of fight is fought
The past tense of catch is caught
The past tense of think is thought
The past tense of wreak is wrought
The past tense of buy is bought
The past tense of seek is sought

I'll say it again: if I hadn't grown up speaking English, I can't imagine I'd have had the patience to learn something so wonky.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Bah, I don't think I was ever taught english grammar, like WTF is an infinitive? We hear about in french class all the f*****g time yet we never understand it.

To go. To walk. To speak. To boldly go where no man has gone before.

When you hear people going on about split infinitives (one of the two big crimes against pedantic grammarians), what they mean is what I did above. They'd say it should be "to go boldly". Splitting an infinitive means putting anything between "to" and the verb it's attached to.

The New Oxford Dictionary of English says, quite sanely, that splitting infinitives is absolutely fine, so long as you're making yourself understood.

Another bugaboo (the other crime against pedants) is ending a sentence with a preposition. You're not supposed to say "Where are you going to". You're supposed to say, "To where are you going".

I read somewhere about the a**hole clause, which says that you can fix any sentence that ends in a preposition by adding a comma and the word "a**hole". So if you ask someone "Where are you going to?" and they bust you about ending the sentence with a preposition, you simply re-ask it as "Where are you going to, a**hole?"

Needless to say, the New Oxford Dictionary of English blows this silly rule off as well.

Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you talking about בחינת בגרות בלשון ?
Because that's what I was refering to.
And I have no advice. I forgot everything [Big Grin]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
To boldly go where no man has gone before.
AAAA! *Shakes head.* STUPID SERIES! SETUPID SERIES! AAA!

But I love the split infinitive.

quote:
Are you talking about בחינת בגרות בלשון ?
Yeah, 2 יח"ל, though I wanted 4.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.