FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC, please help

Author Topic: OSC, please help
TZM
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for TZM           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea for a story which I have been coming up with ideas for for awhile now, but every time I set down to write it... I find that I seem to lack the descriptive talent to convey the story in my head. I would like to know what sort of tips you may have for an early writer as myself, and what sorts of things I should attempt to do in order to beter my writing potential. Thank you so much for even reading this if you do.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip #1 -- read OSC's two books on writing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip #2 -- read Stephen King's book "On Writing".
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip #3 -- you may be sitting down to write too early. I can't do this effectively until I've imagined the scene I'm writing fairly well.

Tip #4 -- write it anyway, even if you feel like a no-talent hack when you do it. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe others can read it for you (Hatrack writer's workshop?) and suggest ways to make it better. This is the "BIC" principle ("butt in chair" -- I would have said "fingers on keyboard"). Don't worry if it sounds awful. You'll still be closer to a good story than if you don't write it at all!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice practice practice.

It's kind of like a kid who sits down to paint the masterpiece he sees in his head. Is it going to look anything like what he wants it to, the first attempt? Nope. Or the second. Or so on. But the more the kid practices painting, the better he gets, and eventually he can produce wonderful paintings.

Writing is just like anything difficult. It takes time and work and discipline. The reason we put ourselves through the wringer is because ultimately we enjoy it, and have stories to tell. But don't let anyone tell you it isn't work.

Oh, and by the way, you will NEVER be able to make what is on the page match what you see in your head. Writers spend their lives trying to get close.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Read everything under the Uncle Orson's Writing Class. Start lurking in the Writer's Workshop. He already has helped me immensely just by having a place to share writing.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
Read. Read more. Read analytically. Then write.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fellow writer although I'm not planning to write my book series until I'm done my upgrading for college.
Card (no offense to you Card) doesn't write very many descriptions in his books for various reasons. I personally believe that this is because he also writes scripts for plays and so istead of painting the picture for the reader he seems to allow the reader to paint much of the picture.
But then Card makes up for this by his characters' personalities being realistically super fleshed out. I have yet to find a character of Cards that is anti-social and doesn't like to talk. (I think this comes in hand with his script writing. He's so used to making talkative characters that he doesn't like not to make 'em).
Although Card may fail to describe appearances and detailed descriptions he never fails to describe something that would need description for the reader to understand. And it's not a bad thing to leave the reader to visualise the story themselves. It's like writing in first person and third-some readers perfer it and some don't. Most will just read it and enjoy it either way.
There are many authors like Card who leave it up to the reader to visualise the novel and you may be one of them. And if that is the only problem that you are having (and not fleshing out your character's personas) then you are doing swell.
I tend to visualise everything before I write it and rewrite it three or more times before I'm satified to continue the next major event/scene.
Here's a lesson that may help you descover what you need to write descriptivly. When you feel something nostalgic-figure out why and describe everything that moment from the tempeture, weather and breeze to surroundings and further.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
My weakness is spelling...but there are spellchecks and dictionaries for that. Even editors...
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
trance, I've read (don't remember where) that some writers deliberatly don't describe the characters, locations, etc. in great detail on purpouse so that each reader can see them in his (or her) own way and thus have the story be more personal and closer to them.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Card's got his own style. I've read interviews by him where he admits that he doesn't describe the landscape much. Also, if you read his book "Character's and Viewpoint" there's a section that deals with how describing a character's attributes is not at all the same as describing the character.

But if you want writing help from Card, go to Uncle Orson's Writing Class. Apply to his Literary Boot Camp (if he still is doing this. I'm out of the loop.) Or ask him your questions at a Q & A session at a signing, or while he's on a panel at a con. It's unlikely he'll respond on the forum, because you know he gets questions like this all the time.

He does sometimes answer a writing question on email. He was kind enough to do this for me once. But bear in mind, he gets LOADS of email and responds only when he has the time. A great email may go unanswered because he's busy. Or you might even be in the middle of an email conversation with him when he suddenly disappears and stops talking to you. He's got rather a lot of demands on his time.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Emily, for describing my undependability as a correspondent so kindly. All true, sadly enough.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
OlavMah, you're Emily Card?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
No, she's not. There are other people named Emily, and Scott knows at least one of them.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 'tis true.

[ September 30, 2005, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.