FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Enders Game the Movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enders Game the Movie
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for deleting the message that once stood in this position. I forget sometimes that when I put something here, I'm not just talking to friends in a living room, I'm leaving something lying around to be picked up and published all over the web.

So I've deleted it. The information was accurate, but what I thought of as "conversation" was, in fact, "publicity," which is controlled by Warner Bros. and not me.

I hope you will forgive me for also deleting any posts following this one that refer to its contents.

- Orson Scott Card

[ December 23, 2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds very encouraging. I'm really glad that you are having success in making it a good movie.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Heck, we're still just working on making it a good SCRIPT.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a start...
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if we need to make a contradictory change, we will. It's more important that it be an excellent movie than that it be an accurate transcription of the book. Don't you agree?
Absolutely. Go, go, go! [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card,

Will Ender's Game the movie still be a combo of books Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow?
I believe that at Endercon you mentioned that this might happen so that the sequels could follow the Shadow series.

[ December 11, 2005, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, you probably don't have any control over this, but in the interest of your taste of preference, would you rather the movie be in the normal range of 2-2.5 hours long, or a longer, more indepth 3+ hours long?

Thanks

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Heck, we're still just working on making it a good SCRIPT.

We've already GIVEN you several.

Sheesh, some people.....

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if we need to make a contradictory change, we will. It's more important that it be an excellent movie than that it be an accurate transcription of the book. Don't you agree?
::nods::

Absolutely. The first Harry Potter film, for example, was slavishly close to the book, and yet it utterly lacked the book's soul. I'd much rather see you capture Ender's Game's soul than its body.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ockham's Razor
Member # 8928

- posted      Profile for Ockham's Razor   Email Ockham's Razor         Edit/Delete Post 
**disagree w/harry potter quote**

I sometimes feel insulted when great series (i.e. Harry Potter, Firefly/Serenity, LOTR) are changed to make "good movies". I hope your fanbase isn't affected by small choices. I understand the need to appeal to more than just your loyal fans, but I know we would all appreciate a great deal of work in this field. BTW - actor in training here who would do just about anything to get a part in your film (as Ender's Game is my favorite book, and Ender's Shadow my fav. series)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

quote:
Originally posted by Ockham's Razor:
**disagree w/harry potter quote**

I sometimes feel insulted when great series (i.e. Harry Potter, Firefly/Serenity, LOTR) are changed to make "good movies". I hope your fanbase isn't affected by small choices. I understand the need to appeal to more than just your loyal fans, but I know we would all appreciate a great deal of work in this field. BTW - actor in training here who would do just about anything to get a part in your film (as Ender's Game is my favorite book, and Ender's Shadow my fav. series)

Rest assured that the car chases, obligatory nude scene, and Jello wrestling match between Valentine and Petra are going to all be done in a manner in keeping with the book, by fans of the book, for fans of the book. You just have to understand that film is a different medium that requires different tools to express the major themes.

Gratuitous nudity and chases featuring exploding cars are the two most important tools to express those themes in modern cinema.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, it is still going to be many years away, but I guess we already knew that.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Actually, it just moved much closer than it was even three months ago.

When changes are made, it will be to enhance the story. I appreciate the jesting about car chases, etc. But do the words "over my dead body" mean anything here?

I want a movie people can sit through. Two hours if possible; no more than 2.5 hours. With two hours or less, you can get two showings a night at popular showtimes. That's the studio's goal; and it's mine, too. We're not doing Gandhi, here. It doesn't need to be ponderous. It needs NOT to be. It needs to be so good that people pack the theaters - as many showings as possible <grin>. That way I have a chance of getting other movies made, too. The last thing I need is for people to say, "Ender's Game - the movie that's even slower and longer than Heaven's Gate!"

WntrMute
Member # 7556

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
When changes are made, it will be to enhance the story. I appreciate the jesting about car chases, etc. But do the words "over my dead body" mean anything here?

Ummmm, Wes Craven will be directing after all?

*runs far away*

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
And Scott,

When you have to move your characters in and about the Battle School....remember who knows how it really works...

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WntrMute:
quote:
Rest assured that the car chases, obligatory nude scene, and Jello wrestling match between Valentine and Petra are going to all be done in a manner in keeping with the book

Will there be velociraptors?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This is most encouraging. I too agree a good movie is preferable to a good book translation.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

- posted      Profile for Eva Scrye   Email Eva Scrye         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mr. Card, it sounds very much to me that I'll be done film school just about when that script is done.

So what do you say? Can you put in a good word for me? ^_^

Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eva Scrye
Member # 8960

- posted      Profile for Eva Scrye   Email Eva Scrye         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a 'no' for my desperate plea to get onto the EG movie staff? I'll serve drinks! Really!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so psyched for this movie. I'm going to take off from school that day to prepare to see it in the evening. And then I'll go see it over and over again for days. I've basically found that anything Orson writes is totally captivating, so I know this is going to be good!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

My apologies to those whose posts were deleted. My fault. But ... i have to be careful what I post here. Since it gets picked up elsewhere, and made as "sensational" as possible in the process, I cannot be as candid as I'd like. And alas, I had to remove later references.

It's Warner's 110+ million dollars, not mine. If this movie gets made, they will have the final say on everything. That's as it should be. They are taking the risk. But the people we're working with are excellent and creative and helpful. Even if you end up wishing we had made different choices, no changes will be made for anything other than the best of motives, to make the movie as excellent as possible. For now ... trust us! <grin>.

And now, let's give the topic a rest for a little while. When Warner makes announcements, then I can comment further. But the last thing I need now is to have people complaining about this situation. So I'm locking this thread and asking people who care about the movie NOT to comment on another thread about the locking and editing of this one. It was NOT done under duress; it was done because I made the mistake and this is the only way I could semi-undo it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.