FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lost Boys: Since I already know the twist,

Author Topic: Lost Boys: Since I already know the twist,
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
am I going to enjoy reading the book (c'mon all you psychics--tell me!)? I've unfortunately read too many unintentional spoilers on this site about the book so I at least know the gist of the twist. I also know that I enjoy reading OSC enough that I'm sure there will be some worthwhile aspects to reading it...but I also wonder if it will be hard to enjoy the book if I know what I'm not supposed to know. That and several here have said how painful of a read it is (emotionally). Thus, I have been dragging my feet. What do you all suggest?
Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I say go ahead and read it. I was sucked into the story in the first few pages, and I suspect I would have found it just as good a read had I known of the "twist" ahead of time. I suspected it anyway, before it was actually revealed, although I hadn't figured it all out. But yeah, it's definitely a gut-wrencher, so don't read it if you're looking for a pick-me-up.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I had read the short story before reading the novel, so I knew the "twist." Nonetheless, it's a fantastic novel, and I think it's accurate to say I've cried every time I've read it.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I think back on that novel, the ending is the part that made the smallest impression on me. It's a well crafted and well written ending that fits with the rest of the novel, but there's so much going on all through that book that by the time you reach the end you may well find that you've forgot that there was even a twist coming.

OSC isn't M. Night Anybody. His books may have twists, but they don't rely on them, and they don't leave you waiting for them. I've read that book many times, always knowing the twist, and it has never diminished the experience in the slightest for me.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the novel after I'd read the short story, so I knew the twist, and I'd agree with Papa Moose; the story isn't diminished by knowing the truth. In some ways, because you know what's happened, certain scenes are even more emotional than they would be if you didn't know what was going on.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know the twist, but I knew something was coming, and it just drove me more into the story. You may know whats going to happen, but you dont know about the family its going to happen to. Outside of ender/bean, Lost boys is my favorite novel.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the book. The twist isn't the important part of the story.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kit the Odd
Member # 4975

- posted      Profile for Kit the Odd   Email Kit the Odd         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the short story first, but I had forgotten the twist before reading the book. I guess the short story just didn't stick with me for some reason, I don't know.

I read the book. I was an awesome, emotional experience. I haven't re-read it since, although I've thought about it. I'm just not ready to bring those emotions up again.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody. As I think about it, the first thing I read by OSC was the fairly recent book with 3 or 4 Ender-related stories (one about his dad, one about Jane, the Ender's Game original short story)--the first two stories gave away things about Ender's Game and Speaker, but I read those next and, well, I'm on this site aren't I?!

I guess I'll have to get a copy of it.

[ November 08, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Scooter ]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I never write a book that is so dependent on a twist or surprise that the book isn't worth re-reading.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've re-read it several times and I think it's a great read every time I do. I weep at the end like I've lost a family member. That's because the book is so well written that I feel like a part of that family. I've often caught myself wondering how they're all doing now! [Smile]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I re-read whenever I need some emotional release. It's a wonderful book, and the way it's written, you don't see it coming even though you know what's going to happen. It's my favorite.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the short story first and still enjoyed the book.

But I am also part of the minority that like the short story better...

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OSC isn't M. Night Anybody
M. Night Shama(insert proper sp? here) is SO good at building suspense and winding you up, that his twists are ALWAYS complete letdowns.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciated Lost Boys on multiple levels. I read it at the suggestion of Mrs. Card, who offered it as an example of how to handle a less than wonderful teacher.

I loved the relationship between Step and his wife and felt like it was a sort of manual on how two fiercely strong-willed people could make a marriage thrive.

I also liked the interplay of Step's family with the church community.

After reading the book, I went back and read the short story. The essay at the end of the story made my heart ache.

For me, Lost Boys is just a gorgeous piece of work and each time I read it, I find my eye drawn to a different point, depending on where I'm at in my own life.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't reread _Lost Boys_, at least not now. Wait until my kids are all safely grown, then I can look back with it on a might-have-been. Right now it would just be too possible, however improbable.
Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I found my copy of Lost Boys when I was down at my parents' house for the New Year and just finished rereading it.

The effect was just as big the second time around - maybe more so. It might be OSC's best book overall. Certainly, it's the one that affects me the most.

So thank you, OSC, for such a wonderful work.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Idaho
Member # 9005

- posted      Profile for Duncan Idaho           Edit/Delete Post 
I reread this book every time I go down to my parent's house (they own the copy); I can read it in less than 48 hours and I have read it so many times it is NOT funny.

I don't know what I find most fascinating about it; the idea of such a tight knit family, the early 80's computer aspect of it (the 80's rule and I miss the computers from that era), or just the pure good writing. From the outside it doesn't seem like a very interesting story, but something about it just grabs me every time.

A great work.

-Duncan

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, knew the twist beforehand and still enjoyed the book.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the early 80's computer aspect of it (the 80's rule and I miss the computers from that era)
All the Commodore bashing was fun to this old Atari guy. [Smile] And the analysis of the IBM was spot on.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
It is cool that people pick up such different aspects as enjoyable about that book.

I recommended it to my parents because it reminded me so much of them. In the same time period the book depicts, my father quit his job right before one of his children was born, they moved when we were young,and many of the cultural references were similar. Like I remember listening to the saftey kids, and the same instructions on what to do if some one tries to kidnap you.

But my parents liked the book because of the whole story line about the children and the dangers they faced. Though my dad also mentioned enjoying the computer stuff.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so how many of us are going to admit that our "safety word" with our kids is now "Maggots"?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished reading Lost Boys for the first time (without knowing the twist in advance, and without knowing in advance that it was sad/gut-wrenching) and I just had to find someplace to say how marvelous it is. OSC, the depth and breadth of your talents will never cease to amaze me.

I also made the mistake of finishing it late at night, just before falling asleep. My wife fell asleep first, so I didn't even have anyone to talk to about it. It took me a while to get to sleep, and I was worried what my subconscious might do to me while I slept. But luckily there was nothing I remembered when I woke up.

I loved the book, though it would be hard for me to reread again unless I want to subject myself to another gut-wrenching. I won't even try to enumerate all the parts I liked, but there are a few things I'd like to mention.

I especially liked the development of the family and the family relationships... I feel like I know them. The relationships with the members of the ward also were very good, and I enjoyed reading them. It was easy to relate the various characteristics and situations to people I have known.

The 80's computer nostalgia was also a lot of fun. I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember that OSC once worked for Byte if I'm not mistaken. The play on that with Eight Bits Inc. was a lot of fun to me, and if OSC is listening, I'd be interested in hearing how much (if any) things in the book are based on things from his own life. I'd have to be dense to not guess that Zap is probably based in some degree on Charlie Ben. I don't want to pry, but I'm curious when Lost Boys was written in relation to the unfolding of the situation with Charlie Ben.

Again, Mr. Card, thank you so much for sharing your marvelous talents with all of us. I've read almost all your books, and the list is growing constantly shorter, despite your rate of new publications. I'm extremely grateful for your thought-provoking writing and the effect that it has on my life.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I found many of the answers I was looking for elsewhere here by searching for Lost Boys, including this one:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003013;p=0&r=nfx

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

the early 80's computer aspect of it

So how do you all picture Hacker Snack? I keep thinking of it as something like The Adventures of Lolo (or, as it's known in Japan, Eggerland). The first game in this series came out in 1985, so it's not much of a stretch.
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:

Okay, so how many of us are going to admit that our "safety word" with our kids is now "Maggots"?

All I could think of when I read that was that "Maggots. Heh-heh." line they kept showing in the Corpse Bride ads. (Obviously not intentional.)
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.