FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Things that encourage hack writing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things that encourage hack writing
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
the name for a grouping of crows is "a murder of crows."

I mean, c'mon. It's just too tempting to use that in a story.

We should change it and make authors work a little harder for their metaphors.

How about "a plenary session of crows?"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
What about "a quorum of crows"?
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
a Congress of Crows
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
"A Most Esteemed Association of Flighted Crows"
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
or a bunch of damned birds who make themselves a nuisance.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
A fleet of crows.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A school of crows.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Too late. There must be any number of 'murder of crows' stories out there. Not to mention 'unkindness of ravens', 'parliament of rooks' - incidentally one of my favourite Gaiman stories - and 'pitying of turtledoves'. In fact, considering the amount of dreck Turtledove is putting out these days, a pitying of turtledoves is most apropos.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
How is Gaiman? i've read some of his comic stuff, but i couldn't bring myself to read a real book of his. And turtledove really gets old quick.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There was actually a short story called "A Knot of Toads" in one of the fantasy slick mags a month or so ago.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite groupings is an implausibility of gnus. Far as I know, it isn't the title of anything yet, but I'd pick it up as a book, just for the title.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm half-tempted to write something called "An Assortment of Chocolates." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Would that be with or without thumb holes in the bottoms?
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
A gehenna of meetings
A squirm of puppies
A yecch of worms

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

A pox of auditors.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>Things that encourage hack writing

Paying me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of stuff.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
EXCUSE ME!? DRECK? Harry made some AWSOME books, "In the Midst of Mine Enemies" is going to become an all time favorite for me, that and Days of Infamy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

Hey, that works!

"A dreck of Turtledove novels".

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Noemon [ROFL]

A snifter of poets.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
A concatenation of Hatrackers.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Turtledove is a wonderfully inventive writer, who found a niche that he has made his own. I like his work, and only don't read him now because he's so darn prolific I just can't keep up. Also because while I loved his Byzantine stories, I have a hard time caring much about alternate civil war history ...

Meanwhile, there was a spate of deliberate inventions of collective nouns a few centuries ago, like "a murder of crows" etc.; they never never arose as a natural function of language. They were devised like a parlor game. So it's not as if you can be "wrong." And no rule that says you can't invent others.

I, for one, think a Nasty of Crows is just as appropriate. I think I heard from someone else "A cacophony of crows," which is superb. How about a Bathtub of Ducks? And how about the obvious "A Hat of Rackers"? Or is that a Rack of Hatters ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

A fog of debaters.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You know, I think I would've enjoyed parlor games. It's a pity we don't go in for that kind of amusement any more.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

woah who would ever of thought I would have to look up "prolific"....
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Turtledove is a wonderfully inventive writer, who found a niche that he has made his own. I like his work, and only don't read him now because he's so darn prolific I just can't keep up. Also because while I loved his Byzantine stories, I have a hard time caring much about alternate civil war history ...

Meanwhile, there was a spate of deliberate inventions of collective nouns a few centuries ago, like "a murder of crows" etc.; they never never arose as a natural function of language. They were devised like a parlor game. So it's not as if you can be "wrong." And no rule that says you can't invent others.

I, for one, think a Nasty of Crows is just as appropriate. I think I heard from someone else "A cacophony of crows," which is superb. How about a Bathtub of Ducks? And how about the obvious "A Hat of Rackers"? Or is that a Rack of Hatters ...

I did notitce your blurbs on his early hardbacks.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
EXCUSE ME!? DRECK? Harry made some AWSOME books, "In the Midst of Mine Enemies" is going to become an all time favorite for me, that and Days of Infamy.

While a fun read, In The Presence of Mine Enemies had a few too many card games described way too intensely.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Are you kidding? That was the best part!

Seriously now, the card games I actually enjoyed since I'm a Magic: The Gathering and YuGiOh! fan and I like card games once in a while.

But what, it had like 5 games of Bridge in total?

Stephan
Member # 7549

I just thought they were a little drawn out. I guess it was partly because I have never played bridge before. But no complaints otherwise.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So whales don't really come in pods? I'm so disillusioned.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

I thought whales came in sandwiches.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Actually, I thought whales came in the ocean.
tern
Member # 7429

Yes, but then sandwiches.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
No No No.

Whales do come in pods, but not what you think. They come in large green sacs, similar to pea pods. These sacs are then placed in sandwiches. which are eaten by ocean dwelling sand witches.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well, I loved the Worldwar series. The first time I read it. The second time, I noticed how much he repeats himself, and how much he talks down to his readers. And how every time he makes some clever little historical allusion, he insists on drawing attention to it, like a three-year-old proudly holding up his latest masterpiece. It distracts from the story when characters are constantly having thoughts that serve no other purpose but to draw attention to something that happened in our timeline, not his, but this action is going on in the same place, and isn't that wonderfully clever!

Then there is the issue with all his characters being cardboard two-dimensional figures, the obligatory sex scene in each book, and and the way he always has to point out how characters never consider the other side of any given issue - mainly when someone is thinking something that a modern lioberal wouldn't approve of, of course.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well...now you've opened a whole new discussion on formulaic writing.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I can't really dispute what KoM says about Turtledove's writing, but I will say that Turtledove's flaws as a writer don't stop his books from being an enormous amount of fun for me. I haven't read all of his latest stuff; as OSC says, he's just too prolific for that to really be feasible, but I've read most of his older stuff, and have enjoyed it flaws and all. Turtledove's strength isn't in his writing so much as it is his ideas. He's like Niven in that, I think, although the types of ideas the two authors have occupy different enough spheres that it's never occurred to me to compare them before.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

While I noticed the repetitions and were extrenely annoyed in the least by them it also didn't spoil the books for me, I simple glanced through when ever he repeated himself.

However he seems to have fixed some of his flaws in his newer books: Settlings Accounts Trilogy, In the Presense of Mine Enemies, and Days of Infamy.

The first one is a series that had relatively few (if any) repetitions (though he killed off some good characters *cries*) and its going to be a series starting from "How Few Remain" that will supposedly get around to OUR time.

The second one I enjoyed very greatly it kept me fearing just as the characters were fearing for the day that they might be discovered as Jews and when one of the children's teacher one morning walks in and yells "JEWS!" I jumped like 5 feet.

Days of Infamy is interestingly enough a novel that has the smallest ambition as a alternative novel yet, rather then making some catastrophic change its something small, a simple decision, the decision to invade Hawaii with army troops and launch the third wave of attack. This is a novel that no matter how much I want a sequel for I'm content with it as a stand alone.

The Worldwar series I loved so much simple because he had aliens invade in 1942 forcing the war to screach to a halt.

What I believe makes Turtledove's books fun to read is not his writing but primarily the idea's behind the writing that makes it great to read.

So dreck does not describe his work IMHO.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

However, as for the POV of his characters I think that's one of his greatest abilities, it allows the audience to some certain extent understand the motivations of the characters, thus I don't really think their 2 Dimensional but accurate portrayals of human beings, the very grittiness within his novels spells realism not some fantasy world, the very hero's in the novels aren't particularily heroic and have their flaws its how they cope with circumstances and their particular contribution to the overal story thats makes his characters one of the pillars that holds his books up high.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Actually, I thought whales came in the ocean.

The same way salmon come in the river?

Another reason not to drink seawater.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan...thank you. I was wondering if anyone would get it.

[Big Grin]

Of course, now you and I have both violated the user agreement and must turn ourselves in.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, I think I would've enjoyed parlor games. It's a pity we don't go in for that kind of amusement any more.
Some of us do. My almost-step-mother has a book of Victorian parlor games, and I've been known to suggest them now and again-- word games and romp games both. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Dan...thank you. I was wondering if anyone would get it.

[Big Grin]

Of course, now you and I have both violated the user agreement and must turn ourselves in.

You can take the fall for both of us.

Get what? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
an ipod of technophiles
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

l337

a stack of bibliophiles.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
A Parliament of Owls- as found in The Silver Chair, by C.S. Lewis.
I'm not sure if that's an actual term, but reading that made me think of this, so naturally, I had to post it. ^o^

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Your emoticon looks like a snitch, aiua.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
~o~
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
A zizag of snitches.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
A smackdown of puns.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.