FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » treason oddities

Author Topic: treason oddities
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I could never figure out about this book (one of my favs) is why the names of his horses are after nazis. Is there any meaning to this?

Also, while this would be a hard movie to make (due to the frequent hermaphroditic nudity), it'd be a great RPG, either computer or paper. Any remote chance of seeing this?

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Film in development, screenplay by Peter Johnson. I got nothing on the horse names or an RPG.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
Film in development, screenplay by Peter Johnson. I got nothing on the horse names or an RPG.

Wow. I'm really curious how that movie will be. It seems like it would be a real challenge to translate it into a movie. At least, the story images I had in my head as I read it would be hard to make into a film.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember horses named after Nazis. Can you give us some quotations with page numbers?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I don't remember horses named after Nazis. Can you give us some quotations with page numbers?

I too had noticed the horses' names. The names are first mentioned on the two last pages of the first chapter, pp. 20-21 in my copy.

* very very slight spoiler warning *

They are Himmler and Hitler, and they're mentioned a few more times in the second chapter until he loses them.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that Card was being funny, and was indicating that in the world of Treason, those names have lost the connotations we usually assign to them.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The horses' names are Hitler and Himmler. That was my clear signal that the original "rebels" whose treason was the reason for these families' exile on this world were NOT NICE PEOPLE. They were people who admired Hitler and the Third Reich - and whatever they did must have been horrible enough to justify their permanent exile - along with all their ideas. And yet they were very smart people ... dangerously so.

The suggestion is that those people - Schwartz, Ku Kuei - who turned inward had, perhaps, learned soemthing from their involvement with evil. Others - like the illuders - had not. and the irony of the Muellers growing body parts for export, when they still adhered to some ideas of the racial supremacy of the Nazis ...

Most people don't catch that, of course, but ... my job in the story was not to discover the past of the planet, but for Lanik to figure out what was going on in the present ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Cool. I never caught that, and I was living in the house where you wrote it [Smile] I always got the impression that the rebels really were the oppressed good guys ... but then, when I read it, I was young an impressionable, and probably didn't have the capacity to catch on that there might not have been a "good guys" in that situation.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
About the 2nd read, I caught onto the Nazi references, and I saw a connection there to Lanik's arrogance. He clearly saw people of color as having an inferior place in the world. I just wasn't sure how intentional all of this was - but now I see that it was.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate saying this, but as I remember it, most of the coloured people were portrayed as inferior. Or, if not inferior, at least not all that nice.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

They were definitely not inferior. The Nkumai were selling advanced theoretical physics through the Ambassador for scads of iron, remember? And if they weren't nice, that was probably because our protagonist was trying to infiltrate and sabotage them ...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely need to read this book...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The Muellers thought of the Nkumai as inferior - but in fact they were superior - that's what was causing some real worry.

The Ku Kuei, also "of color," were one of the benign but overwhelmingly powerful groups, with control of time flow. The Schwartzes, also black, were in control of the solidity of matter. Um, not inferior, folks.

The point was not that they were all evil because their ancestors were evil - in fact, by now the people being punished for the original treason were many, many generations removed from the crimes. Every nation on Treason had become something quite different from the others. But Lanik happened to come from a nation that had kept some of the nastier features of the original rebels; and had to be callous toward their own people in harvesting and selling what they did.

So there were plenty of good guys among the people of Treason NOW ... Schwartzes, Ku Kuei most notably ... and Lanik's people were not the worst. But he had much to learn before he was ready to keep the Illuders from taking over the world and introducing them all to REAL nastiness.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how a question about horses' names can lead to all this subtext.

Interesting backstory, Mr. Card.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this book just jumped on my to read list. I don't think I've seen it in bookstores, though.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was out of print for a long time, but has now come back: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765309041/qid=1135466046/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7336603-1975222?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 . Or maybe not.

OSC, is this story based on Cain's murder of Abel and how his descendants were treated by white people for... pretty much ever until recently? But theres the fact that black people themselves were never inherently bad so maybe not. That's the first thing that popped into my mind reading your post anyway. Is there a connection?

[ December 24, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize. It's been a while since I last read it and must have confused it with something else. Now it's come back, but a tad late. Never mind!
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

quote:
OSC, is this story based on Cain's murder of Abel and how his descendants were treated by white people for... pretty much ever until recently? But theres the fact that black people themselves were never inherently bad so maybe not. That's the first thing that popped into my mind reading your post anyway. Is there a connection?
I can't answer this fully for OSC, since I'm not him, but as someone who grew up in his household, I can tell you one thing:

OSC does NOT believe that people of African ancestry are descended from Cain.

He actually warned me as a child that some people thought this, but that as far as he could tell, the scriptures said no such thing. He influenced me quite strongly not to accept "popular" interpretations of scripture, particularly if they struck me as wrong or insidious (as this one does).

Fortunately, as time goes on, such ideas are becoming less and less popular.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you Geoffrey Card? 'Cause I got the God's Army novel, among many many others, for Christmas [Big Grin] If will be pretty cool if you are. I'm assuming you're a male because I can't imagine why a female would call herself a rat in her username. Am I right?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
I can't answer this fully for OSC, since I'm not him, but as someone who grew up in his household, I can tell you one thing:
Funny, I've accidentallyspoken on behalf of him before, though not on purpose, I just worded my reply badly. [Blushing]
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered about the horses too, but never got around to posting about it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Oh, hey, yeah, I'm Geoff. You mean people are still buying the God's Army novel? Wow, I really hope you like it! And I wonder where my royalty check went ... [Smile]

Oh well, I work for a different company run by Mormons with an iambic two-syllable name beginning with a vowel, followed by "Entertainment" now [Smile] Goodbye, Excel Entertainment! Hello, Amaze!

Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that actually makes sense, thanks.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean people are still buying the God's Army novel?
I actually bought it just a couple of months ago. I haven't read it yet though...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.