FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Downsides of a Movie series

Author Topic: Downsides of a Movie series
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Though im sure that the enders game movie will be great, I am dreading the whole series, for the same reason I was dreading the LOTR movies. Ok bad example how about the matrix movies?
I think that if you make all the books into movie then it will fall into the same funk as matrix, The first movie will be amazing, great awsome special effects, just great. But the second and third movies bombed at the box offices and they came out to be mediocure films with too many special effects. And Im dreading that the enders game will become mediocure(this thing needs spell check [Grumble] )movies that no one likes...your thoughts?

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the sequels to The Matrix was they lacked a story that held ones interest.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I hope they don't make any other movies beyond Enders Game. The others are not movie material. I do not count the Ender's Shadow series in this assessment, as the few I have read could be filmed. However, I don't find them as memorable or as important as the actual Ender series.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beanelricyr
Member # 8793

- posted      Profile for beanelricyr   Email beanelricyr         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, after Ender's game theirs no need to continue movies. The Speaker series is too boring to do well as a film(i mean in film terms.) and while the shadow series would kick ass, this would undermine Ender's charchter and make it seem as if the entire point of all the films was to tell BEAN'S story.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see the shadow series filmed. When I read Ender's game, I thought it was a good book, but most of the shadow series I thought, "This is a good movie...Oh, wait, it's a book."
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know I really want to see the piggies on the big screen
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dont know I really want to see the piggies on the big screen
Especially the insides of the piggies.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Though a Lusitania TV show might be fun [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Like a game show? "Who dies First!?!" thats the title and the can have three human contestants and if they dont answer the questions right they get eaten my the descoloda.
That would be an awsome game show [ROFL]

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a great Lusitania horror would be ATTACK OF THE EVIL TALKING TREES!!!. That would be amazing.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Nice! Or ATTACK OF THE SHORT LITTLE PIG-LIKE BEINGS AND THEIR EVIL TELEPATHIC TREES OF DEATH!!!!!!!!part:2
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
DS, mate, I think if they're real piggies, the human contestants will get killed if they answer the questions right (and are too compassionate for their own good, of course).
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
You consider The Matrix Reloaded, which made over 281 million domestic and over 738 million worldwide to have bombed? You realize that it actually made a fair bit more money than the original, right? Even The Matrix Revolution's 139 million domestic and 425 million worldwide isn't exactly bad. In fact, it's only slightly less than the original. All things considered, the Matrix trilogy was a major success which studios would love to emulate!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider Matrix Reloaded to have sucked. I don't care how much it made.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Fair enough. I'm just saying that it didn't bomb.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If your goal is to make money, then it was a success.

If your goal is to create a story that affects people in some way, then it bombed.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I was refuting the claim that it "bombed at the box office". Besides, I personally enjoy all 3 of the Matrix films.
tms
Member # 9017

- posted      Profile for tms   Email tms         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced all the Enderverse novels are adaptable in the sense that something must happen to all novels before they become screenplays. The characters, themes, swashbuckle and romance are there throughout and the larger questions that define these works as such seminal stuff are allowed to rise from circumstance and action, all good movie fodder. It must however be adapted cleverly for film, and then I spose the necessary suits with the cash must not be allowed to sway any of the artistic reins of what, if it did become a movie franchise, would be a very powerful juggernaut.

What I consider essential to any proposed sequels to Ender's Game the movie, is that they unfold as the novels did, with a growing loss of innocence and gaining of knowledge about the universe in the next few thousand years, perhaps even shreds of wisdom, though such things must normally be sugar-coated for modern audiences not to recoil, (indeed sugar-coat away, I wanna see some Formic explosions), and that they bother casting in Australia.

In possible movie sequels, could not the Shadow series be told alongside additional narratives such as the delicious shorts in First Meetings? Before we even get to the piggies?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the polls, if Beans very very popular then the Shadow Series I think may come first but I'ld much prefer for either series to become a Space Channel Mini Series or full length 5 season thing. With some fleshing could each book be stretched over 24 (on average) episodes?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tms
Member # 9017

It'd be a cool thing boss. Bean's Rotterdam experience, and this seems partially obvious as I type, would have to be be traumatic for the audience as well for us to stall our hearts while he makes the grand leap through Battle School to the moment he grasps his low-down with love, Petra and the grand web.

Petra; surely a Taurean.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

I guess they could put Speaker and Xenocide in the same movie, but would that make the movie to jam packed with action, that you miss the real story? I guess it's probably not a good idea because the movie would go to fast and you'd lose the story-line in all the action.
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

quote:
if it did become a movie franchise, would be a very powerful juggernaut.
I agree it would definatly be very a very powerful series but would anyone who hasn't read the books(ok that was bad grammar [Cry] ) get the story?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

As much as I would personally enjoy any film adaptation of the books (being such a big fan and all) I have serious doubts that any of them except for EG/ES could be done very well. The Speaker books don't have a lot happening in them from a film point of view. They're mostly dialogue and ideas. That's not a criticism. They're great books, but for films, I think that only people who are aleady fans would really be able to get into them. As for the Shadow books, they have more action, but somehow I don't see them as working well either. I can't quite explain why at the moment. Maybe I just lack imagination. Yeah, that's probably it.
tms
Member # 9017

I doubt you lack imagination neo, or you wouldn't be here.

I have the same fears that you and Mr Survivor have over possible adaptations, and I use the word fear because the stories hold sacred territory for us.

Maybe:

If the books a) were adapted by a brilliant screenwiter who happened to be a fan; who could distill the novels into cinematic action (and let's not forget neo, that the most domestic of human thoughts and interactions can be made into dramatic film action by a kick-arse team), and b) captured the addictive 'reveal of information' structure or 'loss of innocence/gaining of wisdom' as I have called it in a previous post, that the novels contain, we might have a mind-expanding cinema experience on our hands that doesn't need to rely on a former audience.

(Our response to the smile-inducing fan art of late reminds me of how correct OSC'S predictions about gaming and children have been, and yet how much room he allows for our own impositions. ie. 'that's not how I saw Ender but man I can sure see him lookin like that'.

My guts, and I like trusting them, say that the story could pick up it's own momentum, even starting at zero, if handled correctly. I haven't felt that way since the rumours of a third Fletch movie.

I realise our odds on all this happening are silly and not just because of standard Hollywood mechanisations but because as many of us know brilliant films and brilliant books are different beasts.

Look how square I'm talkin now that I've realised some of you cats couldn't understand me. Apart from schoolboy Dutch I never learned me no new language before, I'm enjoying it.

Blackfaer
Member # 7624

- posted      Profile for Blackfaer   Email Blackfaer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Shadow series could be easily adapted as sequels to EG by having Ender and/or Val in a narration-esque role looking back on the past that they missed by flying around in a manner similar to Ender writing the Hive Queen and The Hegemon. I don't know that the continuation of books in Ender's series could really shape into films that would do the books justice in the least. On the other hand, OSC has numerous other books that hopefully will someday be made into great movies...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.