FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Two Serious Problems with Hatrack (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Two Serious Problems with Hatrack
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
And why are you touchy on the subject of fascism? Elaborate.

Because it is a force for evil, and I would not like to see it once again dominate any major body politic.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tms
Member # 9017

- posted      Profile for tms   Email tms         Edit/Delete Post 
No one's the boss of me baby!

*reddening in realisation*

Ceptin the blonde who sells me my cigarettes.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Kick the habit tms and then no one will control you! Other than the government, your family, your pets, your boss, etc. but those don't count. [Wink]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of religion I have always felt that if you are truly religious than you should be able to withstand any attack. If you can not defend your own religion and core beliefs than how much can you honostly believe in them. And by defend I mean rationally debate, not scream obsenity's and burn the other guys church down.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because attacking someone is nothing more than good clean fun. [/sarcasm]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Orange, I usually avoid this type of "conversation" but I felt like I needed to respond. I believe what I believe and am not interested in the debate simply because I'm not good at it. I do not have that skill or talent (or whatever it is), but I don't think that you HAVE to be able to defend your beliefs to be "truly religious". There are many times that I've wanted to respond and actually tried but couldn't find the words to express it the way that I felt would be best understood but it doesn't mean that I didn't believe in them. (wow that's quite a run on sentence!)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this forum is one of the better ones on the internet but anywhere you go on the internet (and more often than not, in life) will have people who want to thrash back at what you have to say.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea of newbies who bring in contrary opinions do indeed get set upon like vultures by "older" members from time to time. Any presumption this doesn't happen is akin to real denial.

That being said, one of the big hazards of the internet is that the words themselves are maybe only 50% of the conversation. We humans rely on non-verbal communication like tone, posture, and a whole host of other signals to give meaning.

People get amused if others are offended by their so-called "irony" but it's tough to see the subtext when the words themselves, absent of additional information, are the only things to go on. In this case, I think most people tend to become VERY literal in a forum where most writers here are often presenting quite the opposite.

Plus, I think many posters who wouldn't dare speak a certain way to people in real life suddenly feel empowered to be jerks on the internet. Why does anonymity breed contempt in some people, rather than a need to be extra courteous? Weird.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the idea of newbies who bring in contrary opinions do indeed get set upon like vultures by "older" members from time to time
Opinions contrary to what? It's not like all the "older" members agree on everything. Or even most things.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the idea of newbies who bring in contrary opinions do indeed get set upon like vultures by "older" members from time to time. Any presumption this doesn't happen is akin to real denial.
Nope. It doesn't happen. What does happen is a bit different. When a regular we've learned to love acts stupid, we've had enough experience with him to say "Oh, so-and-so is having a bad day." When a newbie acts stupid, that may be our only experience with the guy -- meaning we're less inclined to give 'im slack. It might look the same to the newbie, but it's actually a very different process.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what would make all of this easier? Thicker-skinned newbies. Seriously.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Opinions contrary to what? It's not like all the "older" members agree on everything. Or even most things.
Exactly. It's not about "contrary opinions." It's about obnoxious behavior which, as Tom and others have said, is more easily overlooked when the person being obnoxious has interacted enough for the onlookers to know such obnoxiousness is a small percentage of the behavior.

There's also the not-infrequent phenomenon of newbies confusing vigorous dissent with being set upon by vultures.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember having truly been attacked as a new person. I think I just kind of jumped in. Got spoken to about lying about who I am. And then I just jumped back in. Never any real taunting. Whoever said it is all in how you act, I agree completely.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
You got spoken to about lying about who you are with a name like that?

"SteveRogers: Hi, my name's Chris Hardy. I've been lurking here for a while but now-"

"TomDavidson: Liar! Tell us who you really are!"

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

No. I claimed to be a mental patient. After I claimed to be a single father. It was stupid of me.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.

I missed that somehow . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And see? He's grown up and behaves himself better now.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Nope. It doesn't happen. What does happen is a bit different. When a regular we've learned to love acts stupid, we've had enough experience with him to say "Oh, so-and-so is having a bad day." When a newbie acts stupid, that may be our only experience with the guy -- meaning we're less inclined to give 'im slack. It might look the same to the newbie, but it's actually a very different process.
So if I were to go on some crazy rant about aborigines putting nails in my corn flakes every morning, then as long as I only brought it up a couple times of the year, everyone would be cool with that?

Uh, hello? Where did everyone go?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, why don't you take this grapeseed oil and go see if Frisco wants some?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

They make oil out of grape seeds? I did not know that!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, you are going to get so sick of me if you search "grapeseed oil" on these forums...

(But yes, they do. It's been used for many, many years in middle eastern and Mediterranean cooking. It's even healthier for you than olive oil-- more of the good stuff-- and has no taste, even less than canola oil, and also has a higher flash point than most "good for you" oils-- almost as high as peanut oil. Excellent for cooking and... other things.)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Can it be purchased at Wal-Mart or Aldi's?
Bokonon
Member # 480

kq, I'm afraid I missed the reference...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, search "grapeseed oil" posts by me on the other side and start near the bottom.

It shouldn't take long to be shocked and appalled. [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Or pocked and ashawlled...

(I'm cold. I've been cold since yesterday. Fahim and I caught a bug. Brr!)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, you're sick. I was wondering, "When does she get cold? In Sri Lanka?"

Sorry you're sick. [Kiss] I have been, too. Might wanna wash that [Kiss] off your face. That one, too. [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I've been eating jello and everything. >_<
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, I'm dense. I still don't get it, but that's okay [Smile]

-Bok

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius,
I've said it before. You aren't recevied well on this forum because of your behavior, not because of your opinions. You come across pretty strongly as someone who is not posting in good faith and people react to you that way.

If you truely believe that Ornery is more respectful, I don't think you're ever going to fit in particularly well here. Perhaps it is a problem with Hatrack, but I think many people here don't frequent Ornery specifically because we don't see the general culture there are being particularly respectful or mature. For example, there seems to be a general acceptance of people not posting in good faith, which, as I've said, is not reacted to well here.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

Let me correct my earlier statement; I think Tom's right--to a point. Regulars often do not give newbies the "benefit of the doubt" but often presume the worst. It's impulsive.

I'm curious why e-mail tends to create more knee-jerk responses than other forms of communication. I see it in myself. Sometimes the first few sentences of a post cause me to want to write, and I have to tell myself: "Read the whole thing, and try to place yourself in their shoes." That helps a lot. Often we can misunderstand a post on the first read.

Granted I've never seen someone getting pounced simply because they're new. That's not what I meant. Most newbies are greeted warmly. But I have seen posters with low post counts pipe in and there are three or more veterans who, instead of trying to understand a new point of view, barrage them...often with insults. I've seen it on silly topics, too, which is weird.

I've had a couple of scraps myself, but these were usually on topics of such a controversial nature there was bound to be hard words. I've enjoyed the lively debate and the chance to open my mind and hear argument from different points of view. That's not being "pounced on by vultures." That's diving into a den of hyenas on purpose and taking one's medicine. And hey, that's the point of this forum, right?

But I do think there can be less impulsiveness. Both newbies and veterans should, IMHO, have thicker skins and more understanding of each other for a more accurate--and slightly more tactful--social discourse. I think it can be done. Even here.

My $0.02.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
My questioin is who cares?

Newbies are newbies are newbies.

No matter how strong a communicator you are, visually, vocally, or textually (drat my loss of alliteration text based communication is my weak spot)

if you don't know the subtexts and contexts of each forum you visit you're going to step on toes.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the main problem with Hatrack is that OSC doesn't give us all free cars.

I think everyone can agree that this place would be a better place if we all had a free ride.

Though if that is to much, I would settle for cash. I'm really not all that picky.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, it was a lot better back when OSC used to give us gifts for every 1000 posts... I don't know how I'd have survived numerous life crises without my Mazer Rackahm bobblehead.

-Bok

estavares
Member # 7170

Yeah, I'm surprised there's not a secret gift under our seats every time we log in. I keep reaching and it's not there. Am I in the wrong seat?

I'll take the fancy chocolates or the iPod. Heck, I'll take the Italian push-up bra, as long as it fetches some bling on Ebay.

But the question is: if we get a car, do we have to pay the taxes?

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose takes care of that.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.