FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Drunkin Posting

Author Topic: Drunkin Posting
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that for all those who might share my inspiration, I neeeeeeed the first of the new Ender books to come out. I lent out my copy of The Worthing Saga but if OSC had any planz to expand on the life of Jazz Worthing and Abner Doon, I'd be first in line at the release [Smile]
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you understand that Abner Doon IS Hiram Graff?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
ya know, I never made the connection that they were both Minister of Colonization.

Now, did you do that on purpose, or was this discovered after the fact like your Hot Soup = Han Tzu but not = Han-Fei Tzu thing?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Don't you understand that Abner Doon IS Hiram Graff?

ahhhhhh, i see. so you stoped developing Abner and adopted his best traits and put them into Graff....
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
wait a second, i thought he was joking. Yeah, their both MoC, but that doesn't make them the same. Both brilliant and think they know what is best for everyone else, but that can be said for quite a few characters.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You people all take this waaaay too seriously. [Razz] (Excepting you, Mr. Card; it is your living.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I for one was joking, but didn't make that clear in my first post. Ah well.

But wait! ....The truth is out there!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Vonk, you can't argue with the guy. He owns these characters after all... He could make Graff an albino hemopheliac in the next edition if your not careful!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that the need to spread the human species drives both Graff and Doon, but they are extremely different characters. Doon is much cooler in my opinion, way more stylish. Remember the part when Doon was breaking Italy in the world sim game? Remember how the old owner of the country sent goons to ruff him up, and they ended up going back to the guy who hired them and beat the piss out of him. That is style. Way more style than Hyrum ever showed.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i wouldn't be disappointed in the least if Graff were an albino hemophiliac. it would make for a colorful character (pun intended). what type of goading would it take to make the change?

as to the original post... i also have a deep longing akin to something one might find in their pants for the up and coming Enderverse and Alvinverse(?) stories.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Another "Ender"- book? Wow, jippieh! It is always so dissapointing when you have to read one and the same book over and over again, just because you can't get enough of it. I even started to translate "Ender's Game" into German, although it is quite hard to translate terms like "chief executive officer of an interplanetary vessel". ("ausführender Chef Offizier eines interplanetarischen Gefäßes", the literal meaning, sounds just terrible and might as well be wrong, for I don't know anything about military ranks by now)

However, Mr. Card, thank you very much for being sooo productive!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's avalable in German....
http://www.geocities.com/enderwiggin_battleschool/CoverEnderGerman.html

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. In the bookstore, I was told it is out of print. But it doesn't matter (to me), I am used to read in English by now. I even feel quite weird when reading a translation. (And the originals are about a third cheaper than the German versions.)

I started to translate "Ender's Game" because
a) my flatmate doesn't know English and I wanted her to know the book.
b) it improves my English. I actually remember the meaning of single words like "maleable" instead of just guessing.
c) I wanted to spent more time with the book without actually reading it again in the next months.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.