FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » what are the odds! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what are the odds!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't see what was said as "snobbery". Make more sense? [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
After all, there IS a difference in the ways to critizise, constructive or destructive.
Whether the criticism is well-intentioned or not doesn't matter that much. If the criticism doesn't help the critisised to figure out how to do better next time, there shouldn't be any criticism at all.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Oh, and thank you all for your answers on my question.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
By the way, I would not have known (from your writing) that you were a non-native speaker if you hadn't told us.
[Big Grin]

Wooahh... the time difference between Europe and U.S.A. is just killing me... It is between 11:30a.m. and 2:30p.m. in your world, isn't it?

clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I don't see what was said as "snobbery". Make more sense?
Yes, it does, thanks. The apparent distinquishing factor is "thoughtfulness" and consideration, no? And, by "thoughtfulness" and consideration, I'm referring to the critics not the recipients of critique. [Smile]
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by R. Ann Dryden:
I happen to be a writer and a teacher and find it excruciating to read posts that are nearly illegible.

Oh, you're a TEACHER. Well then, that's different! I take back everything I said. You just keep on condescending to everyone who doesn't live up to your silly-assed standards.

quote:
One of the many reasons I hang out at Hatrack is because by and large people here are able to express themselves using at least some semblance of the English language. I thought it was ironic that such a hard to read post was prefaced by the statement that he was now an A student.

Christ, you actually think this made sense, don't you? You actually thought this was a compelling argument. "It's so simple! All I want is for everyone to speak proper English! Is that so much to ask?" Well, yeah, it is, moron. Is it possible that you actually feel improper use of the language to be a deadlier sin than, say, belittling some friendly stranger just to boost your own stupid ego?

"Well, *I* happen to be a teacher." Good god.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and using profanity and calling someone names just makes your argument so much more, what, truer?

What you - and others complaining about R Ann's rudeness - don't seem to get is that you have been far more rude to her than she ever was initially.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The apparent distinquishing factor is "thoughtfulness" and consideration, no? And, by "thoughtfulness" and consideration, I'm referring to the critics not the recipients of critique.
No. The distinguishing factor is saying something that's not overtly rude and is intended to help.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aarand
Member # 8745

- posted      Profile for aarand   Email aarand         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware I was being rude. Thanks for pointing that out. I was only ever intending to help.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are smart enough you do not need perfect grammer in order to understand what someone is trying to say. To all those complainers: get over it. This was a nice story that Locke had to tell... it't too bad some of you dimwits couldn't appreciate it because of your snobbery.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

quote:
No. The distinguishing factor is saying something that's not overtly rude and is intended to help.
Critics can be thoughtful and considerate.

does that help?

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

quote:
If you are smart enough you do not need perfect grammar in order to understand what someone it trying to say.
If I had a nickle...

For everytime I felt compelled to correct someone... I'd make a mint of it.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
If we can assume that Locke understands the principles of English composition, I think it would be more helpful to dissect the original post line by line. My writing is not too hot now, but it was even worse before my high school teacher took the time to show me how to express my thoughts coherently.

How about a Snoop Dogg version of the original post?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
i went back and fixed it!..this is online, and online for me i just take off my shoes and relax, i have a laid back style. My first post, i was heavily drugged and my arm hurt, never drug and post, ive learned.
Whenever i have papers due I am thee most picky person when it comes to grammar and puuncuation in real life, its like going to the beach, and wearing a business suit and judging people for how they put their sun tan lotion..who cares, its their skin not yours.
Just drop it already

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
online for me i just take off my shoes
Don't stub your toe on the apostrophe key!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
How to I set up a Signature?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no sigs on this forum.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
..., never drug and post, ive learned.

[Smile] The internet aquivalent to "don't drink and drive"?
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about a Snoop Dogg version of the original post?
I tried, but askSnoop.com's Shizzolator bot is down. It's prolly the Man, fo'rizzle.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool story, Locke.
Considering the number of books you put out (28 or 45?), it's not that surprising that eventually you would bump into someone with one.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
pH does her sig custom for every single post? [Eek!]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume so. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are dedicated that way. I for one am grateful there isn't a signature option on this forum.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinky:
I strongly agree with Jiminy and Running Bear: There is no use to be that infantile, is there?

Excuse me? It seems to me that Jiminy is the most infantile poster on this thread. All I see from him are insults and invective.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Yes, regarding the word choice and the degree of hostility in Jiminiy's post. The "pissing"- part etc. was all but..uh..mature. [Frown]
But when I read this "don't match those of an A-Student"-stuff, I only thought of how much it must have hurt Locke to read that, whether or not it's true.
I would have been hurt, so I was glad that there was someone who did not agree with R. Ann Dryden's first post. Okay? [Smile]

JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I certainly had no intent to offend and apologise for doing so. I happen to be a writer and a teacher and find it excruciating to read posts that are nearly illegible.

One of the many reasons I hang out at Hatrack is because by and large people here are able to express themselves using at least some semblance of the English language. I thought it was ironic that such a hard to read post was prefaced by the statement that he was now an A student. The entire purpose of posting is to communicate with others, why not write in such a way that the maximum amount of people can be reached? I don't think that's snobbery. Just common sense.

Your defensive spiel here does indicate (at least to me) that you seem to value form over substance. I have been highly annoyed at how often fellow hatracker waste time criticizing eachothers grammer, spelling and typing. There are forums where such things are important, but an online message board is not one of them. I do try to write well when I post, but doing so takes time and thought since I am not a naturally gifted writer. As a result I post rarely. However, if someone wants to share his or her thoughts, feeling and experineces and doesn't have a natural gift for flowery prose or the time to compose elequently, cut them some slack and reach out to them yourself. If you don't like what you read, go read another thread and keep your grammer sniping to yourself.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post, JLM. I would have liked it more if you had questioned her intelligence a few times, and maybe thrown in a crude joke about her sister, but it was still quite good.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to jump on grammar mistakes myself these days. What newcomers eventually realize is that at Hatrack, to be taken seriously, one needs to "talk" in a mature manner, punctuation and all, most of the time.

There seems to be a higher standard here in comparison to other internet fora that I've visited. This is a good thing IMO, and one finds that the people who have been here for the long haul share the opinion that grammar and punctuation matter.

What bothers me is that folks think they can slack off because this is the internet. OSC has said before that he considers Hatrack as his "living room", a place for interesting and intelligent conversations on just about everything. One has to remember that these are real people participating in online discussions, and just because we are using a different mode of communication doesn't mean we can be any less mature about the way we speak to others, especially people we don't know.

That said, I do agree that sometimes jatraqueros come off as a little snooty in the grammar department. But it's a simple matter to avoid--use better grammar or go try a different forum where you can talk to others in the way you like. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

CRash,

It seems to me that what you are describing is "holding Court".

Is that accurate?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.