FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » in need of other books to read

Author Topic: in need of other books to read
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
As i have said before i am very picky about the books i read but i was wondering if you all could possibly give me a few authors/books you think it would be worth reading. i am Heavily into horror/futuristic war stuff like The Ender series and i Absolutely hate sappy romance novels. Never Really read anything but these type of books. Dean Koontz/ Stephen King/Anne Rice. But I am sorta worried about being disappointed when reading a new author or new series. any help would be appreciated
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
- A Dangerous Fortune, Ken Follett
- Foundation, Isaac Asimov

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
Has OSC ever wrote books under anyother pen name? because i was looking up other authors and found that alot of them have wrote many books under other names. if he has i would love to read them.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, Card has never written under a pen name. Have you read everything card has written already?

If you like horror and future war, try Dan Simmon's Hyperion series. It has elements of both space opers warfare and horror (The Shrike.)

Anything by Gene Wolfe is great, he's been my favorite for years.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

no at this point all OSC i have read is ender series. not that i aint going to read anything else
just have to finish one series before i start another or i get all confused. what are the other OSC books/series like?

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 99.99999999% sure OSC hasn't written under more than one pen name (in fiction). Most authors that do do so because their readers always expect them to keep writing in their selective/(respective?) genres. OSC doesn't have a problem with this, as we can clearly see, because he's just that good. [Wink]

All of OSC's books are good.

(This was not written by OSC under a different name, I swear. [Cool] )

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to say welcome to Hatrack, lisha. [Wave]

I have enjoyed the Alvin Maker series very much, I think it's Card's best writing. I'm looking forward to getting Crystal City.

Treason is pretty good, Card's best stand-alone novel that I've read.

Hart's Hope is great fantasy, I need to reread that.
The Shadow series, the sequel to the Ender series, is as good as the Ender series.

I haven't read much of Card's short fiction.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,lisha! If you haven't done that in the last hours,yet, have a look at the "OSC library"-link on the top of the page (right side). You see, there is still a LOT to read. [Big Grin]
Maybe you want to have a look at H.P.Lovecraft (a pioneer of SF)and Tad Williams ("Otherland").

However, by my experience, there are very good (and very bad!) authors in EVERY genre, and it doesn't depend that much on the story, either, whether a book can be considered to be worth reading.

In search of authors whose books I would probably like to read, re-read and buy, I take a lot of random samples from different shelfs in the library and have a look at one or two paragraphs of them. (the "don't judge a book by its cover"-method)
I admit, that was B.C. (before Card [Wink] ). Nevertheless, I'd like to recommend you some non-SF books and authors, too.

- Douglas Coupland: "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "All families are psychotic")

- Diana Gabaldon: the "Voyager"- series: "Cross Stich", "Dragonfly in Amber", "Voyager", "Drums of Autumn", "The Fiery Cross", "A Breath of Snow and Ashes"

- John Irving: "The Cider House Rules", "A Prayer for Owen Meany", "Hotel New Hampshire", "A widow for one Year"...

- Jonathan Safran Foer: "Everything is illuminated" (can be a little bit strenuous at the beginning, but if you keep on reading, you'll love it.. well, at least, I did and do)

- John Steinbeck: "Of Mice and Men"

- Colin Higgins: "Harold and Maude"

- Kurt Vonnegut: "Slaughterhouse Five" and especially his short stories

- the "Harry Potter"s (in the first instance, I was quite reluctant to read those books, because of this boygroup-like "Harry Potter"-hype... but then I finally read the books, and now I can hardly wait for the seventh one to come out)

And many more...

Have fun!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I would start off with OSCs The Worthing Saga first. It is one of my favorite OSC novels and also has several excellent short stories in it.

as for other authors, if your looking for horror/futuristic war stuff, you should read Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange. It is a great read, if you can get used to the slang.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has written one short story that I can remember right off under a penname. "Damn Fine Novel" as Noam D. Pellume.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, Gabaldon's Cross Stitch was titled Outlander in the US. And I second that recommendation. You will find it in the romance section of bookstores, but don't let that put you off. There is nothing sappy about it.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Amilia. [Smile] I just took the titles I found in the "A Breath of Snow and Ashes"- paperback. It was probably intented to be sold in GB.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royoris69
Member # 9108

- posted      Profile for royoris69   Email royoris69         Edit/Delete Post 
Harlan Ellison - great short stories.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Simmons:

-Hyperion
-Fall of Hyperion
-Endymion
-Rise of Endymion

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I would start off with OSCs The Worthing Saga first. It is one of my favorite OSC novels and also has several excellent short stories in it.

as for other authors, if your looking for horror/futuristic war stuff, you should read Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange. It is a great read, if you can get used to the slang.

Weird. Those were two of the books I thought of as well.

Regarding A Clockwork Orange, there are two different versions, so if you decide to read it, make sure you're getting the original version.

Also, you might like Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradburry.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I recomend Dan Simmons you DO need to read The Worthing Saga if you haven't.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miracleasd
Member # 9167

- posted      Profile for miracleasd           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the suggestion of Tad Williams "Otherland" and Asimovs "Foundation".
A few others worth considering

Kim stanley robinsons "Red Mars"
William Gibsons "Neuromancer"
Neal Stephensons "Snow crash"
Arthur C Clark "The collected Stories"

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
For easy and fun reading The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

thanks everyone, i will look into them books. As for Harry Potter, I am completely up to date with reading all books and watching the movies afterwards. lol Farenheit 451 was a english book we had to read in like 8th grade. Also the Shadow series is also in the process of being read at this moment. Thats why if you woulda read my other topic i was asking when SotG was comming out in paperback.
Because it is the only shadow book i have left to read.

xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Worthing Saga, it's really good. I also started Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus (sp?) last year, but never got around to finishing it (don't know why - I'll have to pull it out later today). The Memory of Earth was also really great. [Big Grin]
All 3 are by OSC.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Allfred E. Bester: "The Stars My Destination"

quant suff!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Simmons: Iliad and Olympos (in addition to the Hyperion series). If you like "futuristic war stuff," this is the ancient Trojan war in the very far future.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DMLPro
Member # 8653

- posted      Profile for DMLPro   Email DMLPro         Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to try out The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy. A personal favorite of mine.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
William Faulkner is a good read.
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Card has never written under a pen name.
Actually, he has.

He wrote several short stories for a children's magazine under the name Brian Somethingorother.

[Big Grin]

Sean Stewart is a good read.

Ressurrection Man
Galveston
Nobody's Son

[ February 21, 2006, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

- posted      Profile for littlebean   Email littlebean         Edit/Delete Post 
An amazing read is Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Crazy book.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter_The_Great
Member # 9212

- posted      Profile for Peter_The_Great   Email Peter_The_Great         Edit/Delete Post 
A favorite of mine is lost boys, still by OSC, but I have read every book by him, and all his short stories, and I recomend it. maps in a mirror is a big book, but full of fun
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with cheiros do ender, the foundation series is quite good. its somewhat like OSC's writings.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

only 6 more days till i get my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Party]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.