FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Help with a Quote **for class**

Author Topic: Help with a Quote **for class**
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a paper comparing the heros depicted in the OSC books, and I'm looking for a quote from one of the Shadow series. I don't have the books with me, but it's important for my paper.

I'm looking for the part in the book, I think it's Shadow Puppets, when Bean tries to convince Petra that he has no compassion. Petra refutes this claim by stating that instead, Bean is the very soul of compassion, as he will do anything for the people that he loves, and he feels guilt because he couldn't save Carlotta and Poke.

If you could help me with this quote, I would really appreciate it. I just wish I had the books with me right now, but unfortunately, they are at home and I'm at school. Thank you!

[ March 02, 2006, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the books with me either, but I *think* I know what you're talking about. So, for those with the books at hand, my guess is that this quote is just before Bean and Peter and all go into confront Achilles.

I think...

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Hmm....I thought it was right after Petra was artificially inseminated, and they had to split up for a while. But I'm not sure. Check in both places.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I came in here to help out, but when I searched my bookshelf, I realized that I left my OSC collection back in Hawaii. Sorry, Evie!
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...the only thing I got from Shadow Puppets is page 100, where Petra and Bean were talking to Volescu... but I'll keep looking.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Thanks CRash. I really appreciate it.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...could you possibly mean the part where Bean is trying to convince Carlotta(?) that he's "entirely selfish" and therefore should never reproduce, and then he realizes that this actually proves that he already loves his as yet unconceived children, thereby demonstrating his inherent selflessness? That's the part that came to my mind first. I'll see if I can find it.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Evie.

Yeah, the "selfish" one is the quote from page 100...I haven't found anything else like it so far.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

By the way, I found the quote. Tarrsk came to my rescue and told me about Google Book Search. I found the quote and used in my paper. But thank you all for looking. You're amazing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.