FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Speaking for the dead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speaking for the dead
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the concept of Speaking at a funeral very interesting. However, I can't seem to completely understand. What are the does and dont's of speaking. Can anyone help explain?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you finished the books?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
yes
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
What don't you understand?

I mean, I certainly don't want to imply that I know everything there is to know about Speaking, but it seems to me that as much as anything that objective *can* be explained, it is.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

I dont remember which book, but when ender does a speaking on lusitania, the whole process is explained. Something along the lines of not saying what the deceased person tried to do with his/her life. Instead say what he/she actually did. (sorry if I'm confusing)
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

The book is Speaker for the Dead.

I think it was that the speaker shouldn't make up things, or gloss over the less pleasant elements of the subject's life.

The important thing was to tell the truth, not just about what they did, but why.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to argue.

In "Children of the Mind" Plikt tries to figure out the "process". She ended up deciding that the Speaker looks for a different reason for the actions of the dead.

I.E.
A man had an affair. He doesn't tell anyone?
Why? People say "He doesn't want to look bad"
But the Speaker might say "He didn't want anyone to know his wife didn't care" Plikt thought this was what a Speaker did.

(A wife probably wouldn't do that but I needed an example)

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 9225

- posted      Profile for Augustine   Email Augustine         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking wasn't simply for explaining certain aspects of the subjects life, it was to explain nearly everything they had ever done. It's primary goal was for everyone listening to understand why the subject did everything. By the end of the speaking, the listeners were to be able to see inside the deceased's mind, and to know exactly who they were.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
i found the most important thing in speaking to be to explain the deads intent, not actions. what they meant to do with their life, the why, not the what. something along the lines of if you understand a person's innermost desire you can't hate them because you can find the same desire inside yourself.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

- posted      Profile for SiriusSky   Email SiriusSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I really think Speaking should be done nowadays as an alternative to a Eulogy. It conveys so much more in giving hommage to a person.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

i don't know. certainly a speaking should be done if the person requests one, but i don't think most people want to know the truth. i think it is easier for most people to accept the simplest, easiest answer and believe the best about the person, instead of having harmful truths be uncovered. i attended a funeral for a person that had taken their own life recently, and i am sure that had all of the truth about her life and death been revealed it would have made it an unbearable experience for many of the people there. sometimes partial truths, or even blatant lies, are easier to handle. and besides, the dead certainly don't care.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Well I'm not so sure you could say the dead certainly don't care, but we won't go down that road.

I guess I meant that the option of a speaking should be available as an alternative choice to a eulogy.

But I completely agree that not many honestly want to hear the truth.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

quote:
I guess I meant that the option of a speaking should be available as an alternative choice to a eulogy.
It is.
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
In the place where I live, we have a wake service for anyone who dies. At the wake, friends and family can get up to share memories and just generally speak about what they knew of the person. One thing that we try to do is not gloss over her life, not make her out to be perfect where she wasn't. It certainly doesn't rival "speaking" as Card describes it, but it is far better than the eulogizing that I grew up with where most of their humanity was almost totally forgotten and they became almost the perfect image of a saint.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
a speaker tells of someones who life, honestly, nothing is left out, nothing.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Say what?
vonk
Member # 9027

katdog - what do you think the reaction would be if someone stood up and attempted a speaking OSC style? would the other people be offended?

sirius - how could someone who is dead possibly care about what happened at their funeral? if death is so boring that you sit around watching life then i'm living forever. (i want to go down that road)

katdog42
Member # 4773

I think it would depend on the speaker. Actually, if it were done well and done as an explanation of the person's life (i.e. an attempt to understand why the person did the things she did) then I actually think my community would be open to that. We are not a group of women who want to sentimentalize a person after she dies, but to tell the truth of her life. I think that a real "speaking" in its truest sense, would be well-received because you see not just what the person did, but at least part of why.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

do you live in an all female community?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
She's a nun.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Vonk-
How do we know what comes after death? And if we want to go with, let's say, the-'spirit'-that maybe-gets-reincarnated-or-travels-on-to-somewhere-of-the-unknown version of life after death (or whatever you want to call it), how do you know that that 'spirit' wouldn't care?

Katdog is a nun if I'm not mistaken, sorry if I'm wrong.

vonk
Member # 9027

ah, gotcha. thanks tom.

and i hereby officially want a speaking at my funeral. any volunteers?

vonk
Member # 9027

Because i asked a ouiji board. no, i'm sorry, i was just trying to stir up trouble. i don't know what happens after death, but i certainly hope the spirit doesn't care because there would be a lot of pissed off spirits out there, and that scares me a little. in my personal opinion, nothing happens after death. you just die. when i die it will be the end of the universe. actually the end of the universe as we know it is December 20th, 2012. woah what a tangent.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Every moment is the end of the world that we know, and the creation of a new one is constant. nothing is static, everything is changing in rebirth.

There is too much evidence in my opinion for a "spirit" in order for me to deny an existence.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

I am a nun so yes I live in an entire female community.
Leia Atreides
Member # 9227

- posted      Profile for Leia Atreides   Email Leia Atreides         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope OSC looks into this thread and sees how much trouble he started by talking about Speaking... and this is not only place with discussion like that, P-web has its numerous threads too. What a misery! *chuckles*
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

ok, maybe 'end of the world as we know it' wasn't the best way to put it. Timewave Zero is Dec. 20, 2012. The end of time. I wonder what the speaking would be like for time itself.

i would say that i believe in 'a spirit' but not 'spirits.'

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I learn about the theology behind "real" speaking for the dead, the more I want to have it done at my own funeral.

(though hopefully that willbe many, many, many years from now) [Big Grin]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

December 20th 2012? What do you mean? I still don't get your explaination. And personally I have no clue what comes after death, but the nothingness theory is in my top 5 explainations.
By the way, nice point RunningBear.

vonk
Member # 9027

December 20th 2012 is Timewave Zero. It is a theory by Terrance McKenna based on the I Ching that uses mathematics and a computer program to calculate moments of extreme novelty in history (such as the development of the A-Bomb). The moment when novelty will reach its extreme climax is Timewave Zero. Everything in existence will go through the biggest change in history. no one knows what will happen. also, not coincidentally, this is also the day that the Mayan Calendar ends. The Mayan calendar is the most accurate calendar ever. far far more accurate than ours. and it ends on 12/20/2012. naturally, this is all theory, but the more i read in to it, the more it makes sense. also, it may be of note, that Terrance McKenna did a LOT of drugs. he used psycho-tropics to learn things about the universe. some would say that this discredits him, i do not. Timewave Zero is backed up independently of his hallucinogenic studies.
vonk
Member # 9027

and thats what we call "derailment." sorry calvin.
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Interesting...
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. 2012, eh? So much for finishing college.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
December 20th 2012 is Timewave Zero. It is a theory by Terrance McKenna based on the I Ching that uses mathematics and a computer program to calculate moments of extreme novelty in history (such as the development of the A-Bomb). The moment when novelty will reach its extreme climax is Timewave Zero. Everything in existence will go through the biggest change in history. no one knows what will happen. also, not coincidentally, this is also the day that the Mayan Calendar ends. The Mayan calendar is the most accurate calendar ever. far far more accurate than ours. and it ends on 12/20/2012. naturally, this is all theory, but the more i read in to it, the more it makes sense. also, it may be of note, that Terrance McKenna did a LOT of drugs. he used psycho-tropics to learn things about the universe. some would say that this discredits him, i do not. Timewave Zero is backed up independently of his hallucinogenic studies.

The great thing about this post is that we are now challenged to ask: "What does it mean? A calendar more accurate than the current one? What makes a calendar accurate? Aren't calendars pretty subjective? Yes yes, you nitpickers will answer with info about how we have leap years, minor adjustments every few years, and countless innacuracies of dating in history, but that's irrelevent. A calendar is a subjective way of dividing days into manageable groups, no calendar is more accurate than another.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The world ends Winter Solstice 2012? I prefer an alternate view:
quote:
The Mayans believed at at the conclusion of each pictun cycle of about 7,885 years the universe is destroyed and re-created. Those with apocalyptic inclinations will be relieved to observe that the present cycle will not end until Columbus Day, October 12, 4772
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/

Thus proving that God has a sense of irony. [Cool]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

Yeah, I think that's a fine example of what Orincoro was referring to...
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

...yeah, yeah, yeah...I just found it amusing.
vonk
Member # 9027

The calendar isn't the only thing that backs up Timewave Zero. It just helps reaffirm Terrance McKenna's research. Its pretty interesting of it's own rights. you should try googling it some time.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Speaking... I wouldn't mind being spoken for, but I think the best time is 30 or so years after my death, as it was done, by necessity, in Speaker for the Dead. Depending on how despicable I'm remembered to be [Wink] , it might be too painful for my loved ones to hear the nitty gritty truths of my life right away. (This assumes that I'm going to start actually having an interesting life sometime soon... [Smile] )
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Your all forgeting that with this 2012 thing that ure following the christian calendar which in itself is inaccurate as youll never actually celebrate the same thing on one day every year, A more accurate calendar is the Judaic and Mayan Calendar as they track their days by the positioning of the moon in orbit so when it reaches a certain point each year you know to start celebrating something where as christians just go by number of days its far less accurate.
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me throw in my two sense on all these topics...

Vonk, are you serious about wanting a Speaker? If you were, I'd be willing. (jimbotherisenclown@gmail.com)

As for people wanting to hear easy lies... of course. But aren't they better for it if they hear the hard truths and the rationale?

I'm not even going to get involved in the what-happens-after-death tangent. My beliefs are a bit eccentric.

12/20/2012, huh? Odd pattern. I don't know that I hold to that theory. Party at my place on the twenty-first.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with many of the above ideas about speaking for the dead, but . . . nobody was wordy enough. Luckily I'm here to express the same ideas with way too much writing [Evil]

When someone talks about a situation where there has been domestic violence they tend not to dwell on what might be complex motivations and situational factors, like maybe the guy has a fear of abandonment from real trauma from his own childhood and he saw his wife flirting with another guy. (It seems like people tend to think that acknowledging those kinds of things somehow minimizes or justifies the abuse–but you could make a good argument that the guy is responsible for his behavior regardless and still pursue a complete conceptualization of the problem.)

While I would argue that there is a pretty clear right-and-wrong about the abusive behavior, the nature of the situation can be very complex. So what I’m saying is that because people don’t understand the complexities of a given situation (often because they are understandably emotionally reactive) that they tend to give brief, overly simple explanations of that person’s motivations ("They're EVILLLLLL!"). While that might fit our emotions at the time, reality is rarely that simple, and deep down we know it.

I would say that when we learn more about Marcao (was that his name?) we think, “Oh, that’s what was going on, that kind of makes sense,” but I don’t think any reader (except maybe those who are a lot like Marcao themselves!) conclude that he is any less to blame for his behavior.

In fact his wife is even a better example (doh! what was her name? Nina? Something that starts with "N"?). We are introduced to her in a way that we sympathize with her at first, but when we get back to her later she is bitter and jaded and really a pretty bad parent. At the end, after the Speaker has told us her story, we love her again–and yet we still are likely to not justify how she was a hurtful parent.

OSC is frequently praised for the characters he develops, and I would argue that the book Speaker for the Dead is an excellent example. We love Nina and Marcao and their children even when we hate their behaviors. When Ender is the Speaker character, he is a reflection of who OSC is (in how he sees and relates with others) and how that translates into his development of characters. We care about the characters he creates because they are real people to us. We can relate to their faults as much as their virtues. We love them despite their imperfections, not because we think they are perfect.

So I think the Speaker for the Dead is such an interesting person because he embodies OSC’s talent for creating real characters that we can related to and care about. Andrew sees into the souls of people the same way OSC is able to create real characters. (We all knew Ender was a fictional character when we read Ender’s Game, but when we think about him, don’t we feel emotionally about him like we do real people that we understand well and love?)

That's what I thought when I read the book, and people's comments about how the Speaker considers people's intentions not just their behavior reminded me of that.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Novinha, Uther.(that is who your name is a reference to, right?)
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
after reading Uthers Post (nods deeply) mmmhmmm very wordy
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking is the good and the bad with their intentions, I will probally do this for my father whom everyone hates, but I forgave because I know why he did the things he did.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
[/qb][/QUOTE]The great thing about this post is that we are now challenged to ask: "What does it mean? A calendar more accurate than the current one? What makes a calendar accurate? Aren't calendars pretty subjective? Yes yes, you nitpickers will answer with info about how we have leap years, minor adjustments every few years, and countless innacuracies of dating in history, but that's irrelevent. A calendar is a subjective way of dividing days into manageable groups, no calendar is more accurate than another. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is interesting. I would hold out that all calendars no matter what they were based on, whether it be the moon, the stars, the cycle of days..etc, are all flawed. Tracking time is a human concept, it is our way to take things and organize them into manageable groups and break things down so that we can better control and understand them. One day we will find that no matter how much we tried to break down control and organzie, time simply is something that is and always has been out of our hands. We have taken something that does not truly exist and made it exist, even giving it extreme value and assigning attributes to it.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aryei
Member # 9025

- posted      Profile for Aryei   Email Aryei         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I don't know for sure about 2012, but we're going to see a lot of tipping points in this century - peak oil, possibly Global Warming gets too bad and we lose seashores and millions of people to famine, and yet technology can still exponentially improve if science keeps going like, at all, so we might even see computers that perform more calculations per second that the human brain (the current conservative estimate is 27 billion calculations per second), we might map and reverse-engineer how the human brain works and develop artificial intelligence, and all of this before half the century's out! if I'm wrong about any of these, not all of them, I owe any of you who tell me I'm wrong the 2070 equivalent of an X-Box 360, and I promise to sell my grandkid's college funds to deliver if you give me your addresses then.

that is, if you're up for the bet.

who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and get hit by a bus in October 2012.

I read wayyyyyy too much futurist stuff.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PyroMancer
Member # 9382

- posted      Profile for PyroMancer   Email PyroMancer         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, everyone (this is my first ever post on these forums).
Personally, I think that what everyone here has said about Speaking is all true.
Also, I'd like to give my opinion on the after life. I believe that there is no single version of the afterlife. I think that everyone's after-life experience is unique, and that this afterlife directly reflects the personal views, beliefs, and personality of each individual.
P.S. I would be one of those people who would like to be spoken when I died.
--pyro

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collissimon
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for collissimon   Email collissimon         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Speaking a version of a Humanist funeral service?

The Humanists are non-religious but have a strong moral code. According to their website, they try learn as much as possible about the person who died, to capture their personality.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to add weblinks on this website, but the web address is:
http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=1176

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
someone here said that Speaking would be difficult, because so many people don't want to know the details and motives, they prefer the simple solution.

But isn't that also what the concept of Speaking is about? If someone makes us think deeply of a person's motives and life, then I think it also helps us to understand ourselves and other people better. It makes us more understanding. Which doesn't mean it's easy for us.

In a way, it's just like reading a book with really good characters (something similar to what Pendragon said). I know it from my own experience: when I read some books describing pretty unpleasant people in a way that enabled me to understand them (not to justify them) I started to try to understand people around me better. It helped me to understand a person that I could otherwise hate. Sure, it would be easier for me to actually hate that person and think: he's BAD, so I don't have to try to be better to him. But I prefer it like it is. Now I know that neither he's so bad, nor I so good as I'd like to think.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.