FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card I met your sister in law :)

Author Topic: Mr. Card I met your sister in law :)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well its tax season and I go to UVSC so like last year I went to the accounting department. Well a certain Mrs. Card helped me file my W2's and I asked her "Are you related to the author?" Turns out she married your youngest brother. Just on a note of curiosity do you have her do your taxes too? In anycase I enjoyed meeting a member of the Card clan even if I have never found occasion to meet you.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
is thier reason to panic here? Mr Card do u have problems with people stalking ure family? lol just jokes im sure your not a stalker (rolls eyes)
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you know to ask this particular woman if she was related to a famous author who happened to have the same last name?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
People ask other people with famous last names that kind of stuff all the time I'd imagine. I mean, if I ever met a Roosevelt, I'd ask if they were related to TR or FDR. If there weren't so many, I'd probably do the same thing with all the Adams' I met. Makes all the more sense if you live anywhere near the state that particular famous person happens to live in.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
Adams? Thinking of Douglas, Cecil, the presidents, or someone else?
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My father taught a great*n-granddaughter of John Adams.

Whenever I meet someone with a last name I recognize, I ask.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw her input her surname in the computer as Card. I live in Utah where alot of Mr. Card's family lives so it seemed like a safe bet. If I meet anybody with an interesting last name I always ask, theres no harm in it and occasionally you hit gold. I once met a man with the same last name as me and although (Bradford in my case) is not a very common name its not too rare. Turns out we had the same ancestor. But then again thats a special case because I am directly related to William Bradford of Pilgrim fame so when meeting another Bradford you can usually gauge relation based on William Bradford.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met a stranger with my last name.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
My last name isn't Smith, it's Card - relatively rare. And chances are pretty good that if you meet a Card, they're related either to me or to the White House chief of staff or to the Christian pop singer. (As far as I know, I'm not related to either of them.)

And if you're in Utah and meet a Card, they're almost definitely a relative of mine.

What thrills ME, though, is that they're willing to admit it!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, the first Card I "met" had no compunction admitting being related to you. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
My last name happens to be Brown, so when I meet someone with that last name, I do not get too excited...

There are a lot of Browns...

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimbo - I was referring to John Adams, yeah.

A couple weeks ago, someone instant messaged me out of the blue saying he had the exact name as me. He googled his own name and found something I'd posted on lit.org a million years ago when I thought writing poetry was fun (ah, to be 13 again), and apparently he'd been trying to contact me for months, but I've my AIM security block everyone who wasn't on my buddy list until just recently when I turned it off.

Thankfully we didn't have the same middle name, that would have just been creepy. It'd be cool to be related to someone famous. Other than a French privateer who also served directly under Napoleon, and being a direct (I think it's direct anyway) descendent of a US Vice President, I've got nothing.

Edit: on second thought, there's no way he could be a direct ancestor, it's too recent, must have been an uncle or cousin or something.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend is a second or third cousin of OSCs. It happens. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my uncles was willing to admit that he was a mission companion of OSC's in Brasil. How small a world is that?
Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy v2.0
Member # 9294

- posted      Profile for Randy v2.0   Email Randy v2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I have the exact same name as my uncle. You see, I'm naked after him, and he after his father. My middle name is for my grandfather, so quite accidentally we share first, middle AND last names.

What's even more confusing is there are two other people in my family who share our first name, at family reunions I'm still known as "little Randy", even though I recently turned 23 ;>

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy v2.0
Member # 9294

- posted      Profile for Randy v2.0   Email Randy v2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Named! Oh god, I meant named. M, K, right next to each other, haha.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
My last name is Miller, and I almost never think to ask people with my last name if they might be related to me, but other people ask me sometimes if I happen to be related to people they know with my last name. [Dont Know]
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone with my last name is a relative of mine. It's very rare. Which is probably why no-one can pronounce it.

I'm pretty sure than no-one else in the entire world has the same first name-surname combo as me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's maiden name is Orbison, and sure enough she's related to Roy, as apparently everyone with that name is (corrupted spelling from when they were Irish immigrants, or something).
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
not alot of folks have the last name -a-boo. it's sad.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peek:
not alot of folks have the last name -a-boo. it's sad.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

roflmao
Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
My first married name was Downs. As I live in the PacNW, someone once asked me if I was related to Diane Downs (the woman who killed her children in Oregon...Anne Rule did a book on her). Sorta like being asked if you're related to Manson. What possible positive response could be made if I'd said yes? I still wonder that sometimes.

(I'm not related to her, btw. Not by marriage or otherwise.)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of meeting members of the Card family...

Mr Card, will you ever do a book signing in Ausitn Tx? I'd love to get my copies of Homecoming: Harmony and Homecoming: Earth signed.

/end pitiful beggar mode

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
More importantly will u ever come to Canada? I personally would fly in to any City of ure choice, preferably Toronto Ontario, (because then i could drive)

waynes world tribute

WERE NOT WORTHY, WERE NOT WORTHY, but please come nyways!

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Card would wanna come to Canada is beyond me. Waste of money and the population of Canada is small so the benefits of such an action would be rather limited. Sure there are fans here but as I see it, authors arn't rock stars and for them to tour out of their country is costly so if an author is to so, I'm sure it would be to an exotic destination (which Canada ain't) and make it a sight-seeing trip.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy v2.0, thank you for leaving your typo in place instead of editing it. It shows a generosity of spirit that is quite profound.

As for traveling, think very carefully please: Which would you rather have, a personal appearance by me for two hours in a bookstore near you, or another novel of mine? Because the traveling absolutely kills my writing.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest a compromise. Rather than choose a book OR a tour, how about a book AND a shorter tour. Just the cities that have one of your relatives in them (you do still have an offspring out here, right?). That should make it much more manageable.

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Margaret Atwood rules [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Randy v2.0, thank you for leaving your typo in place instead of editing it. It shows a generosity of spirit that is quite profound.

As for traveling, think very carefully please: Which would you rather have, a personal appearance by me for two hours in a bookstore near you, or another novel of mine? Because the traveling absolutely kills my writing.

Well, since you put it that way - I'll sit down and shut up.

Can I mail you my books? [ROFL]

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be way more likely to read a new book than go to a bookstore near me to see him. [Smile] But I don't like autographed books (contaminates the book- books should never ever be written on). And if I had a question for OSC that was driving me crazy, I would just keep posting it until he answered online. [Smile] Wheras getting a new book from him, well no one else is going to finish up rachel and leah or alvin or...So, no book tours. Write faster! (jk)
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

Strange. I remember a particular war story told at Bootcamp 04 about a certain novel (*cough:MagicStreet:cough*) whose writing was due, largely, to all the commuting you did to Virginia. Is Kristine making you drive these days?
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.