FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What character do u think you are? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What character do u think you are?
BlueBambue
Member # 8656

- posted      Profile for BlueBambue           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am most like Bean. I've gone through, to a lesser extent, the same totaly logical to some emontions journey.

I fear that I am like Achillies because I'm afraid my fear of failure will make me avoid the people (not kill them [Smile] ) that have seem me at my weaker points. If I did that I would lose my friends.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Althai
Member # 9275

- posted      Profile for Althai           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by whoelse10:
If you were to pick any of the charcter to replace President Bush, who would it be?
... me it would be Peter as the President of the United States of America!!(hail the king!)
The Vice-President would be... no clue, but not Dick Cheney... and the Military Commander would be an easy guess.. Ender Wiggin...

I think that Valentine would be a much better president than Peter. She would be equally effective (what she lacks in ruthlessness she makes up for in her ability to make other people see things her way), but would be a more compassionate leader. Ender strikes me as too full of self-doubt and self-loathing to be a truly great leader (at least after the events of Ender's game), but if he had grown up in a different environment, he probably would have made the perfect president. Peter is too manipulative, but we never really get much of a chance to see him after he mellows. (Although I have yet to read SotG - waiting for more Audible listener credits. [Smile] )

David

Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Bean's paranoia....
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whoelse10
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for whoelse10   Email whoelse10         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that Valentine would be a much better president than Peter. She would be equally effective (what she lacks in ruthlessness she makes up for in her ability to make other people see things her way), but would be a more compassionate leader. [/QB]
I disagree with you, but you Peter will be a better President than Valentine, because Peter is not scared to make mistakes, and he understands the stiuation. Val has too much heart... she wants what is soft and smooth.
With all leaders.... they must to be able to take a risk.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by gsim:
Now don't say Ender, cause we all know it is practilly impossible to be alot like him. But still, who do you think you are most like in enders universe?

But to say don't say Ender cause it is pratically impossible to be a lot like him is silly. I would say I relate most to Ender because of who I am. The loner who will problem solve out a problem on my own and work at it until I find a postive answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Also interesting: Which character do you aspire to be? Which do you FEAR you might resemble? Which would you least like to have to room with? <grin>

I Aspire to be Valentine in character. I fear at times I could become Achilles, sometimes the anger inside wants to just escape..that is when I head out for a long walk. And sharing a room with would be Bonso...I don't think I could stand him for long periods of time.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would want to emulate Ender. When you think about his life, he is an outsider throughout. His connection to mankind is in the abstract. You could argue Valentine and Jane are connections. With Valentine, we know he holds the image of her as a child in his mind throughout. And he leaves her to continue speaking. Jane- well, I said mankind so I don't need to argue that. [Smile] But at one point, he turns Jane off, breaking that connection. He is never part of any community. At Battle School, we see how lonely he is, how no one can joke and laugh with him. They are his men, but he isn't one of them. I think that would be a sad, sad fate. It can be argued that he is just so brilliant no one can relate. But, because he is so brilliant he needs to be the one to find the way to connect. There comes a point when you have to get over your intelligence.
Who I actually am most like- no clue. I would like to say valentine but she is much nicer than me. [Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown mind reader
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for unknown mind reader   Email unknown mind reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I once thought I was a Bean, but now I'm more of his friend Nikolai. I'm no longer a genius. It hurts.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deceased House
Member # 9388

- posted      Profile for Deceased House   Email Deceased House         Edit/Delete Post 
I remind myself of the oversoul, im told that im very calculating and knowledgeable, constantly and hopelessly trying to protect people.

Also while i can read and write things, ideas of my own are often scarce, and it becomes frustrating when i try my own hand at things, but when i do it properly, its a grand work of art, much like the voyage he helped Volmak and his followers, embark upon. (of course he had outside help too)

Posts: 59 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deceased House
Member # 9388

- posted      Profile for Deceased House   Email Deceased House         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I once thought I was a Bean, but now I'm more of his friend Nikolai. I'm no longer a genius. It hurts.
lol wait a second, i dont want to be an ass on my first day here, but wasnt Nikolai Bean's brother?
Posts: 59 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnWithAnH
Member # 9112

- posted      Profile for JohnWithAnH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that I'm the foolish "psychologist" guard who Achilles killed in the Limo, spraying blood all over Petra. Petra taunted him for a good long while before he died.

I think that I'm Peter.

I'm trying to be more like Alai.

I'm probably most like Dink.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm most like Katerina. She's loyal and daring, but unwilling to budge (at least at the beginning). She loves the people around her, and will do anything to protect them.

I aspire to be Petra. She's amazing and tough and loyal and loves certain people to a fault. I want to be as strong as she can be.

I fear that I'm most like Achilles. He'll do anything without fear of consequences, and that kind of antisocial personality frightens be, because I sometimes don't care about others' feelings. I also would never like to be in a room with him. Scary!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.