FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » 10 Reasons Why Ender's Game, the movie, Will Suck (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why Ender's Game, the movie, Will Suck
valantin
Member # 9185

- posted      Profile for valantin   Email valantin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I loved Troy. Certainly there were things that could have been done better about it, but it was a great film.

Especially I liked what they did with Hector and Achilles. Neither of them were really bad guys, or good guys. Achilles wanted out, not necessarily because he was a peace loving hippie, he wasn't, he had a glory issue. He needed to be immortalized in song for the rest of time, and he got what he wanted at the price of his life. At the same time, Hector is tragic. He loves his brother, loves his family, and has to fight for the sake of Troy, but he really doesn't want to either.

Neither of them are bad guys. And watching them fight is torture, because you know one of them is going to die, but you want them both to live. Personally I liked Hector better, and I thought Eric Bana did some amazing acting in that movie. Brad Pitt did what he had to do, but his acting was mostly composed of appearing emotionless, whereas Hector was rather fiery most of the time. And if you look at the writings of the time, warfare and battle was an obsession. Especially heroic warfare, one on one single combat, back during the time that the Trojan War depicts.

I haven't read the articles where OSC talks about Pleasantville, so I don't know what his problems are with that movie. I rather liked it. I think a lot of the dialogue is downright cheesy, and the whole thing is so flushed with warm fuzzies you could make sweaters for an army, but all in all the message is good, and Jeff Daniels is great. And the medium for portraying the message was fairly original (at least from what I've seen), so I liked it.

I have no illusions about EG the movie being the best thing ever made just because OSC is at the helm. I think he's a fantastic writer, and I think that if anyone is going to capture the important elements of the book and find a way to translate them into something visual, it'll be him. But not everything was meant to automatically be turned into a film, well, I don't actually think any of the greatest books were ever meant to be turned into film anyway. But some don't make the transition as easily. So much of EG, as OSC said, is an internalization, the thoughts and fears of children and adults, that it might not necessarily play out so well on the big screen.

In the end though, I'll be first in line to see it when it comes out, because I love Ender, and I think it's a great story. I can't imagine Card would let it be made, without thinking that it is worthy of the book he originally wrote, and I trust him enough to assume it's by far worth going to see. I think Card is the kind of writer who loves his own work, and his own characters enough to demand justice be done to them when transferring from book to movie. And it's that love of his own work that will get me to the theater as much as the content itself.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I was dissapointed by Troy because at the end, I didn't care one way or the other what happens to any of the characters. I felt no sympathy for any of them, and thought they were all stupid and motivated by either greed or lust or glory-seeking. I would have liked it if all of them had died- but that isn't the story.

I can certainly see what people respond well to in the movie, but I can most definetly see ways that it could have been made much better. On the whole, the characters are all just so unlikeable that the movie would have sunk if everything else had gone right. Not everything else was done exactly right, but it is one of those movies where there is nothing that was done shoddily... it just feels generally uninspired, and there is nothing to catch your eye or imagination. The movie basically feels tired and boring from the first scene.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lnmbr3
Member # 9519

- posted      Profile for Lnmbr3           Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Rat... r u mentally insane? (just a friendly question) [Smile]

[ June 20, 2006, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Lnmbr3 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lnmbr3
Member # 9519

- posted      Profile for Lnmbr3           Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. really random, but have any of you heard "Under My Skin" by Avril Lavigne? really reminds me of EG.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad when people use "retarded" as a slur. But then, I accidentally said it (about myself) in front of my brother, whose daughter has Down's syndrome and then I felt really... narcissistic.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've noticed, David Benioff (same guy behind Troy) is working on the screenplay as well. Normally I would throw my hands in the air and shout obscenities, but I noticed that he worked on The Kite Runner. If that movie is not amazing, you can personally kick me in the face.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please Mr. Card, get a real screenwriter and stop pretending like you actually know how to write a decent screenplay
Orson Scott Card was an established and successful playwright long before his success in science fiction.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, it was definitely tragic all right and the only weeping I saw or heard at the theater were hundreds of girls crying at seeing Brad Pitt’s half naked body and hundreds of men crying at seeing Brad Pitt’s half naked body. Yeah I guess Peterson didn’t sell out when signed a whole cast of eye candy to fill his movie.
Whole cast?
Ajax, NOT eye candy
Agamemnon, NOT eye candy
Boagrius, NOT eye candy
Menelaus, NOT eye candy
Priam, NOT eye candy (Any more anyway)

You are eternally bad at this game.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the opening poster really is just a one-trick pony.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes you wonder why he/she ever signed up...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Schindler
Member # 11273

- posted      Profile for James Schindler   Email James Schindler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Orson Scott Card was an established and successful playwright long before his success in science fiction.
First off, i believe there are differences between a script and a screenplay.
This i agree with that OSC should hire a professional to write a screenplay, if not to use to at least see how someone else who did not write the books put it into a movie.

becides that MAGIC RAT YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

Bean has a really important role and it changes your thoughts on Enders Game if you know about Beans role. 99% of movies have a good amount of special effects cause special effects can be anything from an entire CG world to just a single matte shot with people in a car.

I dont even have the patients to comment on how wrong the rest is

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about Ender's Game The Movie is that it means at some point in the future, there will likely be a game called "Ender's Game: The Movie: The Game" and the idea of a title like that makes me chuckle a lot.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Schindler
Member # 11273

- posted      Profile for James Schindler   Email James Schindler         Edit/Delete Post 
lol i havent thought of the fact that the title would be ****ed up for the game

hopefully like i mentioned in the topic i started the game will be good, cause it can be if its done correctly

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadar7
Member # 11438

- posted      Profile for sadar7           Edit/Delete Post 
The key is to NOT make a movie. OSC needs to take the risk to make the first multiple season cable show to give a book nearly word for word fidelity, and I don't mean Sci-Fi, I mean HBO, huge production, perhaps Ender's Game and Enders' Shadow produced and released in parallel. This could lead to HUGE DVD sales that would make movie sales seem pale by comparison ($10 movie ticket + $15 dvd vs. 5 times $50 dvd season set) and I would even prepay for these DVDs in order to fund the production (another idea that needs to be picked up by someone). This is the first sci-fi book to recieve props from the regular lit community (I see college anthologies of the future containing Huckleberry Finn, The Metamorphasis, and Ender's Game) and it deserves more than a film. I don't mean a mere mini-series (I think three huge movies ala Lord of the Rings & Matrix would be better than that), I mean full series on a cable channel that wouldn't be afraid of OSC's vision.
And not to disappoint anyone, but OSC is on record as saying there will be several games coming out of the movie: http://news.filefront.com/gaming-todays-exclusive-interview-with-author-orson-scott-card/

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sadar7:
The key is to NOT make a movie. OSC needs to take the risk to make the first multiple season cable show to give a book nearly word for word fidelity, and I don't mean Sci-Fi, I mean HBO, huge production, perhaps Ender's Game and Enders' Shadow produced and released in parallel. This could lead to HUGE DVD sales that would make movie sales seem pale by comparison ($10 movie ticket + $15 dvd vs. 5 times $50 dvd season set) and I would even prepay for these DVDs in order to fund the production (another idea that needs to be picked up by someone). This is the first sci-fi book to recieve props from the regular lit community (I see college anthologies of the future containing Huckleberry Finn, The Metamorphasis, and Ender's Game) and it deserves more than a film. I don't mean a mere mini-series (I think three huge movies ala Lord of the Rings & Matrix would be better than that), I mean full series on a cable channel that wouldn't be afraid of OSC's vision.
And not to disappoint anyone, but OSC is on record as saying there will be several games coming out of the movie: http://news.filefront.com/gaming-todays-exclusive-interview-with-author-orson-scott-card/

Been preaching something similar since I registered in 04. Amen.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sadar7:
This is the first sci-fi book to recieve props from the regular lit community

It isn't, actually. Kurt Vonnegut's work might be a contender, as might Ursula K. LeGuin's. Or Samuel R. Delaney's. Or John Brunner's. It's entirely likely that I'm spacing off an earlier author who has received praise from the lit-fic crowd.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Philip K. Dick would be in there, as would Heinlein. I think the earliest, though, might be Verne.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Shelley.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, on all of those. Cyrano de Bergerac would count too, I suppose.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin
Member # 11448

- posted      Profile for Colin   Email Colin         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie will be well hated by many and praised by a whole other bunch. We can't expect it to be the same as the books. I, for one, got very excited to know that the story of Ender's Shadow would be incorporated into the script, as it is one of my ever favorite books, I like it even more than Ender's game, but that's just me.

My believes are that there's no better man to write the screenplay than Mr. Card, he is the one who knows the character by heart, and someone else wouldn't be completely successful at portraying his/her own vision of them all into a new movie. It all goes down to concept and creativity.
The only thing we can do, though, is hope they won't ruin it, but I trust Mr. Card.

After all, Serenity IS the best sci-fi movie of the decade...

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. This thread again. Magic Rat is a nut.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.