FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender and Homecoming

Author Topic: Ender and Homecoming
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Minor Spoilers Maybe

In my delerium I just had the coolest thought. How cool would it be to connect the Ender books with the Homecoming series. Like the war to end all wars could happen on Earth in Shadows in Flight and cause the migration to the planet Harmony and then some protege of Jane could become the oversoul...and Jane could be the keeper of earth!

ok...so it's a little farfetched. Like I said..the delerium is kicking in! [Sleep]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Bigger Spoilers about Ender Series:

Ok, so I thought some more about this and there's definitely some problems with this idea that I first thought to be genius. Mainly...It's been a long time since I read Children of the Mind, but doesn't Jane either die or become human? So that's not going to work. And I'm also only on the 3rd book of the Homecoming series, so I'm not entirely sure what happens. And there's also the problem that many different colonizations of other planets have already happened in the Speaker series, so they wouldn't really need a Harmony because other colonies are already set up. Unless Harmony was some big secret experiment. Which I guess it was kinda. But hey...I thought it was a cool idea. [Dont Know]

Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the entire Speaker series or any of the Homecoming... so all I can help you with is, yeah, Jane gets a body... : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Connecting different worlds from different universes is widely considered a Bad Idea.

See Asimov, Isaac, for more info.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, or almost all of the fanfiction.net archives.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it would be wise at all. They're completely different types of stories. Homecomming is about faith, with the Ender series is more about logic. I'm not saying they have no common threads, but the "flavor" of them is too different to mesh, despite all the more technical problems with your suggestion. Interesting though I suppose. I wouldn't mind additional reading in either the Endor or Homecomming worlds, but not TOGETHER, it would ruin them both.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer:

Never.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Good answer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Said.

And Definitive, at that... Perhaps.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Maybe
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.