FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What Changes Will We Get in Ender's Game from Book to Movie?

Author Topic: What Changes Will We Get in Ender's Game from Book to Movie?
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
I just reread Ender's Game and Shadow and started thinking about the movie.
According to a post I saw from OSC somewhere on here, Ender may encounter the hive queen on Eros rather than the colony which is a very interesting choice, I'm not ready to call it good or bad now, just interesting.
What other changes do you guys think might pop up? Especially considering the supposed combining of Game and Shadow.
BTW, is that confirmed? Is it both stories or just Game? I hope its both because personally I enjoyed Shadow a bit more.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that the time spent in training will be condensed a lot, I think it was to about a year.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What other changes do you guys think might pop up? Especially considering the supposed combining of Game and Shadow.
BTW, is that confirmed? Is it both stories or just Game? I hope its both because personally I enjoyed Shadow a bit more.

Yes. OSC explained it on the audiobook for Ender's Game as the only way to make the story work on screen, since so much of the real drama in EG takes place in Ender's head.
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mneighthyn
Member # 9572

- posted      Profile for Mneighthyn   Email Mneighthyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very curious how OSC and/or the director plan on incorporating all of Andrews thoughts and personal debate. Also I wonder if they will start with Bean or if they will go straight to the beginning of Ender's Game.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arimarfue
Member # 8920

- posted      Profile for arimarfue   Email arimarfue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they start the movie in a chronological order that way we see Bean first. I personally hope we get to see Bean hiding in the toilet tank, but most likely the earliest the movie would cover is Bean being tested by Sister Carlotta, if they start with Bean at all. Because now that I think about it, it’s probably going to be Ender in the opening of the movie and Bean just being introduce later. I say this because the books Enders game and Shadow covers a lot of detail and if the director and Orson do not cut a lot of material they are going to end up with a 3 hour movie. I do have to say that I would like a 3 hour movie. The longer the better right?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
They can do the Bean in the toilet scen like the dancing baby on the skiny lady lawyer show that had the guy from numbers.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"I say this because the books Enders game and Shadow covers a lot of detail and if the director and Orson do not cut a lot of material they are going to end up with a 3 hour movie. I do have to say that I would like a 3 hour movie. The longer the better right?"
arimarfue
Firstly, a minor point, OSC does not usualy go by Orson.

Secondly, a three-hour movie seems fairly likely to me. The film will probably expect to attract mostly fans of the book, of whom there are enough to turn a small profit, and general SF fans, of whom there are enough to turn a considerable profit, and both groups won't mind a long film.

At least I hope so. [Smile]

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

[Eek!] Ohhhhhh, an epic would be great! Ummm, three hours of Ender and Bean killing bugers sounds great to me.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDemon2300
Member # 9665

- posted      Profile for TheDemon2300   Email TheDemon2300         Edit/Delete Post 
If they start with Ender, I think they could fit Bean's backstory in with some flashbacks while he's in BS. Or at least some of the key points like him meeting Poke, the whole storyline with Achilles (that needs to be there, since we're going to be seeing him getting caught in the ventilation), and of course Sister Carlotta.

Another way they could make the film is have viewpoint jump back and forth between Bean and Ender ala LOTR.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

I think crosscutting between Bean and Ender's early years would play well. The mirroring of Peter in his youth and Achilles might do something for the overall story line of the film, but that is just might interpretation fo the matter?
Mneighthyn
Member # 9572

- posted      Profile for Mneighthyn   Email Mneighthyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the movie will be 3 hours long because, no offense, Ender's Game does not have nearly the fan base that LotR's did. It also depends on what age range they are looking to attract the most; and what rating they plan on making the movie.
That aside I think the creators of the movie will be hard pressed to condense the two books and still impress the fans and newcomers to the series simultaniously.

Also it seems logical to start the movie out with Andrew since the book and movie are based on his character. Flashbacks would work for elaborating on Bean's past.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karmen
Member # 9666

- posted      Profile for Karmen   Email Karmen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just desperately hope that it doesn't end up being like the HP films where you don't get ANY details on screen. Those details make the book more interesting; they make you really feel as if you know the charachters.

They can take as long as they like so long as the finished product is worth it. And personally, I would not mind a bit if the movie ran 4 hours if done well.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

- posted      Profile for IComeAnon87   Email IComeAnon87         Edit/Delete Post 
As fans I think we're a bit biased to the story. Personally I would love a 5 hour movie but the studios would never allow it and theatres hate movies that long cause it means they can show it less.
I'd expect two versions; theatre (around like 2.5 hours) and a DVD of 3-4 hours just for us fanatics. I'd expect alot of deleted scenes and extended Battle Room fights.
I agree with Karmen, they should take their time and not screw it up. Think about how careful Microsoft it being with the Halo script, that's how careful OSC and company should be with Ender's Game.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawr
Member # 9326

- posted      Profile for Rawr   Email Rawr         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that no matter how good they make the movie, they can't possibly have it better than the novel.

They need to make it as a whole series, to make close to as good. A movie for every two books or so.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TommySama
Member # 9669

- posted      Profile for TommySama   Email TommySama         Edit/Delete Post 
Icomeanon is probably closest to the truth of the movie. I remember reading something of OSC where he wrote that if the movie couldn't be as good as Serenity, he wouldn't let it be filmed. This seems reasonable since I would be furious if he made a bad movie, and I think OSC would be very saddened to have his creation cheaponed in any way.

Hopefully EG will have more publicity than Serenity, though.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think fans are so fanatically attached to the idea that the movie has to be exactly like the book that the only way to make them happy would be to go to the theatre and see the pages of Ender's Game up on the big screen and you can just read them off the screen.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojammer
Member # 4416

- posted      Profile for mojammer   Email mojammer         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a draft of OSC's script and there's a lot that's been modified. I can see how it's more streamlined for a movie-telling, but as an avid book fan, I can see how it'll put off most fans. The thing is there aren't enough fans to make it worthwhile to make something true to the book. To make it a quality film, it'll cost a lot, and the only way to not end up in the red is to direct it toward mainstream movie goers. Unless it were R-rated, but then no one would see it, being a kid's story.

Main changes: everyone is older. No stilson (peter is the main challenge for ender). Mazer enters early. valentine is a smaller role. All dialogue is more explicit, less implicit (smart) like in the book. Everything happens faster, more action in less time. And a weird dream sequence on eros that ended up being real with the buggers and ender.

It also holds to the shadow affirmation of Petra's superiority after bean and ender, rather than Game's version where Alai was next best after ender and bean and petra were just "regular" smart kids.
That was my main irk after reading Ender's shadow.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering there's like fifty-jillion drafts, and my impression is that they are quite different from each other . . . I'm going to wait and see.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IComeAnon87
Member # 9627

quote:
Originally posted by mojammer:
I read a draft of OSC's script and there's a lot that's been modified. I can see how it's more streamlined for a movie-telling, but as an avid book fan, I can see how it'll put off most fans. The thing is there aren't enough fans to make it worthwhile to make something true to the book. To make it a quality film, it'll cost a lot, and the only way to not end up in the red is to direct it toward mainstream movie goers. Unless it were R-rated, but then no one would see it, being a kid's story.

Main changes: everyone is older. No stilson (peter is the main challenge for ender). Mazer enters early. valentine is a smaller role. All dialogue is more explicit, less implicit (smart) like in the book. Everything happens faster, more action in less time. And a weird dream sequence on eros that ended up being real with the buggers and ender.

It also holds to the shadow affirmation of Petra's superiority after bean and ender, rather than Game's version where Alai was next best after ender and bean and petra were just "regular" smart kids.
That was my main irk after reading Ender's shadow.

The first and most obvious question: where did you get your hands on a draft? I know that there are a bunch of non-OSC drafts floating around out there so assuming you found a real one, how's the balance between Shadow and Game?
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Firstly, a minor point, OSC does not usualy go by Orson.

O-dizzle?

Just a guess.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a tiny, minor, nitpicky point: If the film started with Bean's story, the viewers would expect Bean to be the main character. While he's certainly a very important character (and probably will be even moreso because he's going to be used, apparently, to bring out Ender's internal conflicts in dialogue), the main plot points still center around Ender, and certainly the climax of the story is all about Ender blowing up a planet.

To use LOTR as an example, even though the book and the film open with Bilbo's birthday as the first major scene, in the movie, the first character we meet and begin to get to know is Frodo, followed by Gandalf, because they carry the story.

Film audiences generally need things simplified an awful lot. That is, if the filmmakers plan on making a bunch of scratch off their work.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the type of guy who will notice evey changed word, but I can appreciate the changes that are made and understant the changes that HAVE to be made.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.