FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Nine Babies

Author Topic: Nine Babies
deathstarclock
Member # 9891

- posted      Profile for deathstarclock           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. At first I wasn't sure where I could find a community to discuss the Ender's Game series. Then I recalled OSC thanking members of this site for their input in his acknowledgements page, so I thought I'd take a shot in the dark.

After rereading Shadow Puppets and SoTG I was curious, Volescu creates nine embryos for Bean and Petra. I also recalled a conversation between John Paul and Theresa about how they name their children. It brings me to these questions: what influenced OSC to choose the names he chose for the characters, and why did OSC choose nine as the number of embryos created?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeeshkid
Member # 9885

- posted      Profile for jeeshkid           Edit/Delete Post 
nine is a fairy tale number along with three and seven... at least acording to my english teacher
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Focus groups and market research.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe because no one has ever had nine live babies before...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a huge fan of "The Natural"!

[ROFL]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Were there 12 and 3 got disposed of? Or were there always 9?

Acutally, I was reading about Catch-22 the other day and there was quite an arduous process in arriving at 22 cited on wiki. Don't know if it is worth the paper it's printed on [Wink] But it was interesting. 18 and 11 were taken, and 14 was "not a funny number".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talsmitde
Member # 9780

- posted      Profile for talsmitde   Email talsmitde         Edit/Delete Post 
<slight spoiler>

There were always nine (three with Bean, five with Petra, one . . . somewhere.

I think it's OSC's way of showing that Petra and Bean (like many others) were only too glad to see the population restrictions end. [Smile]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yeah, because 9 is, like, 3 times 3.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
REALLY? Wow, that's deep, pooka! [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't think I've been eating enough protein. [Wink]
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously though, that was Valentine Michael Smith deep.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*nods* I grok.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does this thread title sound like a Terry Gilliam movie to anyone else?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
The wiggin family had 3 kids, pooka may have been on to something. . . Third by third makes for a brilliant Nine [Razz]
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

is that like seven by seven makes for magic??? oh wait!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Does this thread title sound like a Terry Gilliam movie to anyone else?

Yes! [Confused]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Nine babies because you can physically control 8 with two parents and two nannies, but with 9 you need a third nanny, but the third nanny just ends up seeming embarrassingly gratuitous since she only gets one kid, so it's a really awfully awkward number of kids to have.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I've always felt really bad for the parents with quintuplets...

I mean, with quadruplets at least you have a hand for every bottle...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.