FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Has anybody else read Hart's Hope? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Has anybody else read Hart's Hope?
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. So he doesn't actually say anything was stolen from Lost Boys, just that Sixth Sense would be what a movie version of Lost Boys would be, and maybe implies plagiarism by saying that "maybe" M. Night came up with it. But he doesn't actually claim anything. I guess that wikipedia article is biased. *shocked*
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Hey, Libbie. Where ya been?

Working. A lot.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Gallowglass was in the short story of Lost Boys. I too recognized the name.

The Lost Boys novel is based unofficially on Card's family and what happened after they moved to some Greensboro like town.

The Lost Boys short story has OSC using the names of his real family members and pretending that the whole affair actually happened and that he had another son older than Geoff. I'm pretty confident there's no pervy coworker because there wasn't that much detail in the short story, as it was in fact as short story. Like all short stories it focuses on the ending and tricking you into believing that the whole mess happened to OSC's family. My understanding is that pretty much everything that wasn't in the main plotline of Lost Boys, aka the stuff about Stevie, actually DID happen to the Cards.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Hey, Libbie. Where ya been?

Working. A lot.
Cool. As soon as you have time, we'd love to see some pictures.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read Lost Boys, since the start of this thread.

I also found the original paperback version of HH in a half-priced bookstore, and got it for half the price of the book in 1983 (Or whatever year it was that it came out).

$2.00

Definently worth it. LOL

This is the first 'second-person' book I've read, and it really worked. Although I couldn't figure out for the life of me who was writing the letter until the very end.

Wow. I've never read Card so dark before. I knew all of the basic plot points because I read his 'How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy' book when I was 13. <Sigh>

Keeners on a Plane... [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Card writes alot of surprisingly DARK stuff... it's odd comming from an "Ender's Game" or "Alvin Maker" perspective.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game opens with the savage murder of a grade-school boy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
And Alvin has quite a few close calls with death in Seventh Son.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't want to stir up a shit storm, but I think I'll have to hop on record and say that I hated Hart's Hope.
Dark and twisted doesn't bother me (and I read it when I was younger, and if anything darker and more bloodthirsty), but the book just seemed pointless and just another uninteresting fantasy to me.

I don't really remember much of it but if I'm right guy gets rejected or something, goes off get some sort of army or whatever, invades, king pointlessly kills wife, invader pointlessly rapes princess, princess eats baby, makes invader rape new wife, takes over - blah something uninteresting about some bloody woodsman or some such - hero comes to evil city where she rules, visits lots of very dull places doesn't do much and I don't remember the rest.

Now I'm sure I've glossed over the parts that made all of you love it, I've asked other people to explain it's appeal to me before but they frankly did a piss poor job of it, and I was wondering if any of you can fill in things that are in it that are interesting, that I missed.

AW

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I thought it was a bit dry, and it took a little bit more effort out of me to read it than I prefer, but still, the effort was worth it to me. Maybe it's just not worth it as much with other people.

I know that Ender's Game is dark in theory, but it really didn't strike me as dark. I don't know why.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan2006:

Keeners on a Plane... [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Finally, somebody appreciates my most brilliant forum joke ever!

The payoff took a long time, but it was worth it. Thank you for rofling at me.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

No, thank you.
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Google is your friend:

To see what Card wrote, look here:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2004-08-08.shtml

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope isn't the same kind of book as Ender's Game. Nathan is right when he says it was a little bit dry, but I think Andrew should re-read it. For one thing, he missed out on the plot entirely... all his things are out of order. Hart's Hope was not an easy read, because the style doesn't lend itself the the easy pace of modern fiction. It was written in a sort of epic style, but was the type of tale that was all the more beautiful for the telling. It was Card's version of a classical trajedy, at least in my opinion
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple people said "second person" and I can't find my copy of Hart's Hope right now so please...someone just tell me...really???? That's not how I remember it at all.

2nd person like "You walked up the steps toward the entrance to the.." and "You were shaking from the cold" etc?

Really?

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The language is considerably more formal, but yes.

It is less obvious in some chapters, which are essentially third person. But yes, the entire book is being spoken to a "you" who is referred to as "you" repeatedly.

Use Amazon's search inside feature, and search for the text "Shall I catalogue" to see one such example.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

That's not quite what I was imagining...if the narrative reads like a letter written from one character to another, that's different (IMO) from a text that pretends the reader is a character. However, I can see that "second person" is an accurate way to describe it.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, iirc, you could say that the reader is a character, since the first 2/3 or so are addressed to a particular character.
You the reader are sort of listening in, as it were.

I find the pace of the book kind of the opposite of Earthfall. This book initially covers a broad span of time, then narrows in as important events begin happening quickly. Earthfall covers details of the characters lives and interactions in the first 1/2 to 3/4, then the pace quickens considerably covering weeks and months in a few pages, speeding to the inevitable conclusion. I like these aspects of the books. It's a lot like life, looked back upon, with certain memories vivid, then broad impressions covering many months or years.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.