FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » My uncle is an OSC stalker.

Author Topic: My uncle is an OSC stalker.
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got off the phone with one of my aunts who lives in Orem. We talked for a while about books, so of course OSC came up, since I'm reading one of his books right now. My aunt told me how completely embarrassed she was just a few days ago when she was in Salt Lake with her husband and oldest son. They were walking past some kind of street performer and my uncle said, "Hey! That was ORSON SCOTT CARD back there!"

My aunt asked, "Are you sure? How do you know?"

"Oh, I know what he looks like. I'm going to go back and talk to him!"

"No! Don't do that, that's embarrassing! Leave the poor guy alone. It looks like he's here with his family"

But he did go back, and asked to shake Mr. Card's hand. Uncle Rusty reported that he was very nice and friendly.

Mr. Card, I hope my uncle didn't freak out you. He means well. [Wink] My aunt says that he and her oldest son have read ALL of your books. I thought it was a cute story.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were walking past some kind of street performer and my uncle said, "Hey! That was ORSON SCOTT CARD back there!"
Wait-- Scott's a MIME?

When the heck did that happen?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

Hhahaha. Okay, that came out all wrong. I guess he was watching said street performer.

Rusty didn't say whether Scott was acting like he was trapped in a box when he spoke to him.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Rofl. [ROFL]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, cute.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
We really enjoyed talking to your Uncle Rusty. We were walking down the street in SLC after taking our last look inside the ZCMI mall before they tear it down. We were on our way to see the lights on temple square and stopped to watch a real cool street performer doing juggling with stuff on fire! Anyway, your uncle came up and visited with us and we had a delightful time. Tell him hello.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty... What a great "uncle" name.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I'm curious, does OSC get recognized often? Do you guys mind when fans come up to talk?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that often, but sometimes. And, no, we don't mind.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

I will tell him hello for you! [Smile] He is a really fun guy - and yes, Rusty is the perfect uncle name. It's not right for me to have favorites among my many, many uncles, but if I DID (wink, wink) Rusty would be #1. He's so dang funny!
Jon the Dirk
Member # 9981

- posted      Profile for Jon the Dirk   Email Jon the Dirk         Edit/Delete Post 
If I saw him on the sidewalk one day I would never be able to go up to him. I would be to freaked out, and I would'nt want to freak him out. I know you guys weren't, but that would still be my excuse for not getting the guts to say hi. Ah well, mabey if he comes up for a book signing in Maine I might see him.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I just keep hoping OSC ventures near me; I can't even remember the last time he's stopped in my state.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for him to show up in OUR town. HE SAYS he's been to New Mexico but didn't see me. He was clearly not looking hard enough, and I think he just snuck by while my back was turned...
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shnabubula
Member # 9834

- posted      Profile for Shnabubula   Email Shnabubula         Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle is catwalker. Catamite that is.

he trains young boys to seduce pedophiles whom he then kidnaps and reprograms. It's Orson Scott Card meets Dateline NBC

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.