FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Rediscovering Alvin Maker

Author Topic: Rediscovering Alvin Maker
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy. If you don't like long stories, you might not want to hang around for this one-- and if you do, then you still might want to go grab a snack, because I've got more than just a few words to say right now... Your patience, in advance, is appreciated.

Ok.

I came across the work of OSC the same way many of us did, by reading Ender's Game. I was 12 years old, so this was about 16-17 years ago, I suppose, thanks to the public library in the small town in Southwestern Ohio where I was raised. I loved it instantly, and saved my allowance to buy a copy as soon as I could. I wore that book out, and it wound up getting rained on pretty heavily in a freak thunderstorm, so I managed to finagle a second copy as a christmas present the same year.

Sometime a bit later in my life, I found out that Ender's Game wasn't the end of the story. Through the years, I began to acquire the remainder of the books, and loved them so much that I would often give the entire series as gifts to my truly special friends. And, during the course of this period in my life, I started reading other pieces of Mr. Card's work, and appreciating each one as a wonderful thing.

Except for Alvin Maker. I never even bothered to crack an Alvin Maker book. These were the first of which I'd become aware, apart from Wyrms and Lost Boys, which my library had. Of course, the library also had The Worthing Saga, which I inadvertently wound up stealing for several months, until my conscience got the better of me.

There was a single copy of "Red Prophet" which the jacket stated was to follow "Seventh Son." I figured, first off, that I should maybe try to read Seventh Son first, if it ever wound up in my possession. I even talked my grandmother into driving me to the main branch of our county's library, just to see if they had it, as our county had not yet adopted a computerized card catalog system.

The other reason I never read the books was a bit less practical. My father had instilled in me a love of great science fiction and fantasy, and the unicorn sticker that our library used to denote "Fantasy" (versus the flying saucer that meant "SciFi") clearly told me which side of the line Red Prophet stood on. I, however, had elected to choose Science Fiction as the greater of the two, mostly to spite my father, who was a bigger fan of the Fantasy genre at large.

My opinion on the matter changed over time, however, and I grew to love reading for the joy of reading, and not limiting myself to a genre. Granted, it's safe to say that my feet never strayed into the romance section of the bookstore, but I was much more open-minded.

Fast forward to 2004. I am in Half-Price Books, in Cincinnati, OH, and I am standing in the aisle that serves as the combined home of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. I am not looking for anything in particular, save perhaps a better edition of John Brunner's "Stand on Zanzibar." I notice that Orson Scott Card has a rather substantial showing on the shelves, and as he is alphabetically near John Brunner, I take one step to my right, and survey the titles, most of which I have read...

Except for six of them, or so...

I reminisce happily about the friends I have made in the novels I have read by Mr. Card. I am thinking about how these books have seemingly always been there for me, and how completely Ender Wiggin seemed to speak to me as a young boy. I think about how great I thought "Homebody" was, and how I sold cds to raise cash to buy "Enchantment" when it came out, despite knowing nothing of the plot.

My fingers rest upon the spine of a well-worn and longsuffering copy of Red Prophet.

I remember this book, and I remember not reading it. I remember how foolish my reasons had been, and as I looked, I saw that all of the books up to "Heartfire" were there, in old paperback versions. I picked up "Seventh Son" and "Red Prophet," putting back two other books I'd picked up from other authors that I loved less than Mr Card. I hastily made my way over to the cashier, and paid for my purchases. I walked out to my car, and as I had some time to kill, read the first few chapters of Seventh Son. It took me exactly as long as reading to determine that I needed to go back inside and spend my cigarette money to get at least the next two books. Having purchased new so many copies of Mr Card's work, for myself and for others, I figured he would kindly forgive me for buying these books used.

I walked out of there with all of the books up to and including Heartfire, which it took me about a week's worth of hard reading in my spare time to complete, cherish, and love.

Shortly thereafter, I bought a nice, brand new copy of "The Crystal City." I made a point of re-reading the entire series from the beginning.

And then so many things in my life changed, that I found little time to read. The last three years of my life have been a hectic study in the realms of career advancement, responsibility to my family, and attempting to build for myself a comfortable life. Somewhere along the way, my previously ravenous appetite for reading had gone by the wayside, though in the last three months, peace and prosperity have once again reared their respective heads in my life. And so it was, in my spare time, that I decided to peruse the contents of my substantial home library.

I kept coming back to Alvin, but until I was laid up for a few weeks thanks to knee surgery (I made the ultimate sacrifice for rock n roll, but that's another story for another day) I hadn't found the compulsion to grab "Seventh Son" and start all over again.

I've just finished, once again, the Crystal City, and I have to say, I love these books so much more than most of the rest of my library. I placed the novel on the top shelf, then, where I place the books I esteem most highly, moving a few out of the way, to make room. Mr. Card, you've long been represented on that illustrious top shelf, but until this last reading, Alvin hadn't quite made it that far, I'm sad and ashamed to admit. Let me just say that in times past, I'm often guilty of reading so fast that I don't appreciate everything. Sometimes, sadly, I'm the guy who speeds down the scenic route, missing the view altogether.

In late october of 2005, my maternal grandmother, a strong and lively woman of Cherokee descent passed away, and in her passing, left in me a desire to learn of our family history. She had books and boxes and records of so many stories and births and tales throughout our history; she had travelled far and wide in her declining years to trace our family tree back through the founding of this nation, as far back as she could find any sort of reliable documentation. Her love of history and folktales, and her down to earth mentality, with her deep appreciation for her ancestors, both the Cherokee and the Irish, resonated in me, and in her passing, I found myself with a similar passion, nascent and beautiful. In researching and reviewing the family records and speaking to the elders of our rather sizeable clan, I found a new love and respect for the history of our nation as a whole.

And this is probably a big part of why I see Alvin through a completely new set of eyes, this time. I've even taken to researching some of the characters as portrayed, only to find that many more of these people have a real basis in American history than I ever imagined. I love it. This is absolutely fantastic.

Mr Card has long been one of my absolute favorite and most treasured authors, a fact that never escapes those close to me, to whom I lend or for whom I purchase his books. I'm pleased to find this new love for the Alvin Maker books, and grateful that such beautiful and entertaining works exist in the world AT ALL. I'm still chuckling at the humor, thrilling to the adventure, and moved by the poignance. The storytelling is so rich, so lush, so compelling, and the characters so real and vital, that even now, with the latest volume closed and reshelved, I am still living in the beautiful world that I now come to see I will never truly leave.

Thank you, Mr. Card, from the bottom of my heart. And now I know what to buy my father for his birthday next month.

And to everyone who made it to the bottom of this post, thanks for your time. I hope it was worth it to you. I just wanted to share my feelings here. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post, it was very enjoyable. I too have a special place in my heart for this series. I actually think Seventh Son & Red Prophet are must reads for anyone even interested in reading. They are classics. Of course, I knew of Ender's Game, but unlike most I actually read the Alvin series before I read the Ender stuff. It is my own little quirk. ;0

Glad to see someone else enjoys them as much. I trumpet this series every chance I get. There are other threads around here where Alvin doesn't get a lot of respect, but I'm glad yours came along.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by striplingrz:
Excellent post, it was very enjoyable. I too have a special place in my heart for this series. I actually think Seventh Son & Red Prophet are must reads for anyone even interested in reading. They are classics. Of course, I knew of Ender's Game, but unlike most I actually read the Alvin series before I read the Ender stuff. It is my own little quirk. ;0

Glad to see someone else enjoys them as much. I trumpet this series every chance I get. There are other threads around here where Alvin doesn't get a lot of respect, but I'm glad yours came along.

Thank you for the kind words... After that last round of re-reading, I just simply HAD to share. I'm glad someone made it to the bottom of that monster, hah hah hah.

I'm eager for that next book, but happy with the ones we've already got. Good times.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely post! You are quite a vivid writer.

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Lovely post! You are quite a vivid writer.

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Thank you kindly. I've been viewing this website for years, but until this week, had never gotten around to checking out the forums. I'm glad I did.
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a special shelf for books I love above all others. Alvin and Ender are both present, along with some Asimov, Dune, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and other such works. Oddly enough, considering the above repertoire, Louis L'Amour is also well-represented. I think my all-time favourite of his is the Walking Drum, which takes place in the 12th century.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveOfWorthing
Member # 10440

- posted      Profile for LoveOfWorthing           Edit/Delete Post 
I do the same thing with the Ender books, and with the Worthing Saga: I make them a special present to people I feel especially attached to!

The last time I gave someone the Card books, I got married to the recipient! [Smile]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.