FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Hi! How/why did you choose your online name? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hi! How/why did you choose your online name?
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
this is the videogame name i gave myself when i first started playing online games. Quake 1
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather gave me the nickname when I was an infant, because all my initial's are Z's. He gave each one of his 13 grandchildren nick names. It was sorta sweet. My son (his great-grandson) was the last to be born before he died. His name is Azriel, so he always called him A to Z.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
TCW is my initials (and the actual account name I use for just about everything.)

I like that these forums have a different display name vs account name. Name's Timothy, but I prefer to drop the H.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you prefer to drop the h?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
When I played DizzyMUD and AnimeMUD, I went by Zhilia Zoana.

The people I RPed with thought I was roleplaying a girl because of the "ia" ending. Haha oops. Stupid gendered sounding fantasy names.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Intro to an Aquabats song. No matter how many times I listen to it, I'll never know if it was misheard or not, because it's part of a dialog that's not included in the published lyrics [Razz]
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bad break up with this totally lame guy when I was eighteen and wrote a poem about a girl who was cookie jar, and this name evolved from that.

After a couple of years I just thought of myself as "porce;" and for the past several years I decided it was a really stupid name.

I was tempted several times to re-register as Sara Ellis. I always was a little jealous that Tom Davidson is simply Tom Davidson. How cool is that?

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, porce, "porcelain girl" is one of my favorite Hatrack nicks.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
mine is a philosopher and a hi-larious cartoon character.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
What Rivka and Nick.

And also ditto.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I initially signed up under my own name (well, first name, anyway), but eventually realized that I was feeling so paranoid about the lack of anonymity (I know, I know--it's not like the internet's so small that I'm on a first name basis with it. I'm aware that it's kind of silly) that I decided to go with something else. I considered Baldur, since I've always liked that god quite a bit, but decided not to go with it, since the Baldur's Gate games were current at the time and I thought that people would think that I was making reference to them. I considered Ander, the name of a D&D character I'd played for about a decade, but thought that it sounded too close to Ender to be used on a forum of Card's. Eventually I decided to go with a name that actually meant something. "Noemon" is an Attic Greek name that means "thoughtful". Since a thoughtful approach was what I took to Hatrack at that point, I thought that it seemed appropriate. Later on I wished that I'd picked a name that translated as "smart ass".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being completely new to the whole forum thing, I decided to name myself after one of my favorite OSC characters. Luet is one of the main characters in The Homecoming series, for those who don't know. 13 is my favorite number and the date of my birth.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was way into Magic: The Gathering my favorite picture/character concept was a guy named Dakkon BlackBlade,
http://homepage.mac.com/cheethorne/Palladium/images/dakkon.jpg

I started using the moniker for online games as far back as Quake 1, but Diablo 1 and since then BlackBlade has always been my user name for anything online including games, forums, newsletters, etc.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Silmarillion there is a character named Ecthelion, who is one of 2 elves to ever slay a Balrog (consequently it is also the name of Denethor's father and so sometimes i get asked why id name myself after the father ofthe crazy guy.) I didnt really like the way Ecthelion (Ech-thel-yun) and played with it, i liked the "a" sound the most Ec-thal-yon. It has become a forum name/videogame name since.

I have another screename but i dont know why i picked it, i just eneded letters and numbers.

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

- posted      Profile for Madb   Email Madb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm poudering my hand in preperation to smack you in the face.

:: poufff ::

Be gone, scoundrel!

- MaSTERdb

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
im a big office fan and i thought large tuna was cooler than jim halpert [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nek
Member # 10545

- posted      Profile for Nek   Email Nek         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was originally reading the Hellfire storyline in Classic X-Men, and thought Black King sounded cool, so I chose that.

"But that's not your name."

Well, no, but when I needed another one I thought of a similarly dark and macabre theme - necromancy! So I chose "Nekromans".

"Still not your name."

Well, no, but people called me Nekro, and I didn't like that for some reason. So I changed it to Nek, my other nickname at that time.

"Who are you?"

Even I don't know... [Frown]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.