FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Hi! How/why did you choose your online name? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hi! How/why did you choose your online name?
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
G is the beggining of my first name, Sim is the begining of my last name, and I consider myself to be 1337.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
My real name is David. Many people also call me Dave. However both "David" and "Dave" were already taken when I registered for hatrack. So I came up with "Dav", and it worked. Since then I've used it for a few other places too.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanejin
Member # 6318

- posted      Profile for Zanejin   Email Zanejin         Edit/Delete Post 
My Chinese given name begins with a "Z", and I thought "Z" was a great first letter for a unique name. At the time that I conceived my online name, I was quite into Japanese culture, so I added "jin" to the end of the randomly-formulated "Zane", and pop: Zanejin.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love golf. I am a duffer, a bad one at that; so it is a poor double pun, b a duffer or bad duffer.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an acronym. I tried to think of the words that would describe me best. I came up with: volatile, onanism, nocturnal and knifey. Voila!

(or it's my last name)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was originally A Rat Named Dog (and still am from time to time). That name came from a friend of mine who had a pet rat and referred to it as his "dog". I thought that was the most adorable thing ever, so when I wanted to make up a name for Hatrack, that's what I went with.

Papa Janitor's kid Mooselet (who was like 3 or 4 at the time) renamed me "Puppy", based on the fact that my name was originally "Dog". I now use Puppy more often, because in general, I find that "earned names" are superior to "invented names".

That's why my Xbox Live gamertag is "Rangutang". I used to call my wife "Monkey" as a pet name, and one day she answered my, "Hey, Monkey!" with "Hey, Rangutang!" It was hilarious to me because it was so off-the-cuff, and it actually did describe me pretty well — I'm bigger than her, and have red hair. So I went with that as my most common online name, because it felt way more real and legitimate a nickname than "AwesomeGuyStriker47" or whatever "cool", made-up, self-aggrandizing name folks usually go for [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
C3PO the Dragon Slayer is a satirical fanfiction I wrote.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Eärendil is the main character of my favorite Silmarillion story by Tolkien.

18 means "life" in gematriya (sp) and also was my age when I came up with the name, and Earendil with no number was already taken.

I forgot to use the Alt-0028 combo to get the ä dots when I registered.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Perplexity'sDaughter on a couple of other forums, and it's just easier to keep using the same one, otherwise I'd forget.

I don't really have a cute anecdote for my name. [Frown] I just came up with something that sounded neat.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
. . . it actually did describe me pretty well . . .

[ROFL] It really does.

That's adorable.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. I should have come up with something more creative.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the 17th Brother Jack on the interweb.

Actually it was my old baseball number. Brojack is short for Brother Jack.

Insanely original, I know.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
First initial, last name. That's why I capitalize the second letter and look like one of those ANNoYiNg peOpLe wHO CaPiTaLiZe sTRanGe leTTeRS. [Wink]
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oobie Binoobie
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for Oobie Binoobie   Email Oobie Binoobie         Edit/Delete Post 
"OobieBinoobie" comes from back when I was playing Jedi Academy. Lots of people were "Darth Fred" or what have you, so I figured I'd better have an appropriate name. From a satire of Star Wars.

Since I couldn't remember anything about Hardware Wars except the closing credits line "filmed on location: in space" I had to fall back on Oedekirk's "Thumb Wars", which I still think is freakin' hilarious.

Of course, the character there is "Ubidub Benubi", but I couldn't exactly remember so I spelled it wrong. This was before I bought the DVD. So it's the *second* silliest name in the galaxy!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 89 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm, well, a math grad student and "Mathematician To Be" or "Future Mathematician" seemed, rhetorically, like a bad move.

As it is, I can use arguments from authority to win my debates [Smile]

I have another name that I've never used - Symplectic Geometer, based on my Master's work, but I decided against ever using it for fear of being asked to explain what symplectic geometry is [Wink] .

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I took a shower and got soap in my eye. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Xan-
Member # 10091

- posted      Profile for -Xan-   Email -Xan-         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is just awesome. awesome squared, or awesome sauce. oh and its not pronounced ex-an its pronounced zan. also aleXANder, it's what my dad called me.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
A maven is someone who is an expert in their field, a guru if you will.

Well that ain't me... *hitches trousers, and spits*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky
That thread contains my "real reason" as well as some others. Enjoy.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my real name. I started useing it at VBS so that they would know it was me saying something and not my diffrent character names.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Vacation Bible School?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
virtual battle School [Big Grin]
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a lightning rod for all the strange and obscure situations that you routinely hear about but never believe...that, and I find myself being shot more often than I'd like.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is named after my little dog (a corgi terrier cross) who died of cancer not long before I came on Hatrack. I still miss him.
(We didn't name him, his mother's name was Peanut, so the people who owned her named all the pups after nuts...)

EDIT: How fitting that my 600th post should be about Cashew. Didn't notice till the post came up.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I was in elementary school I started drawing daisies by my name every time I had to write it down (I think maybe because my actual name is so short I wanted to spice it up or something). I did this throughout high school and even after in letters to friends or family. I don't draw daisies by my name anymore, but it was the first thing I thought of when trying to come up with an online name. I added the "Mae" just because I like the way it sounds.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well most LDS on here recognize the first word in my online name - its from a Book of Mormon story knows as Helaman and the Stripling Warriors. The rz is what I added to indicate my love for all things Arkansas Razorbacks. *shrug* It has served me well.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
my name is Greek for Virtue. It doesn't translate well. Most people think it's Artie and then they assume I'm a man. Oh well. It's one of my favorite greek names...and my favorite, Sophia, was already taken.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in 9th grade, I was writing a paper that I really didn't want to write and just hit a bunch of keys randomly. kojabu was thing that came out and I've used it ever since for stuff like websites and forums.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I fell asleep on the keyboard and there it was! (Not really.)
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I had just read the short Story Dog Walker, and had also just finished walking both my dogs a hour or so before i found this website. Thus i became Dog Walker. Though i dont like the name much anymore, I am far to lazy to change it.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mathematician:

I have another name that I've never used - Symplectic Geometer, based on my Master's work, but I decided against ever using it for fear of being asked to explain what symplectic geometry is [Wink] .

I suppose you could just point people to this page

wikipedia link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
Iain is the translation of my name (John) into Gaelic. I have used it online for maybe five or six years now.

Is mise Iain as Clann Mcduffie.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siannan
Member # 10481

- posted      Profile for Siannan   Email Siannan         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time I am either ender2188 or ender rises but I knew there were going to be 20 million ender's on this site so I took my World of Wracraft name and used it instead.
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
this is the videogame name i gave myself when i first started playing online games. Quake 1
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather gave me the nickname when I was an infant, because all my initial's are Z's. He gave each one of his 13 grandchildren nick names. It was sorta sweet. My son (his great-grandson) was the last to be born before he died. His name is Azriel, so he always called him A to Z.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
TCW is my initials (and the actual account name I use for just about everything.)

I like that these forums have a different display name vs account name. Name's Timothy, but I prefer to drop the H.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you prefer to drop the h?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
When I played DizzyMUD and AnimeMUD, I went by Zhilia Zoana.

The people I RPed with thought I was roleplaying a girl because of the "ia" ending. Haha oops. Stupid gendered sounding fantasy names.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Intro to an Aquabats song. No matter how many times I listen to it, I'll never know if it was misheard or not, because it's part of a dialog that's not included in the published lyrics [Razz]
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bad break up with this totally lame guy when I was eighteen and wrote a poem about a girl who was cookie jar, and this name evolved from that.

After a couple of years I just thought of myself as "porce;" and for the past several years I decided it was a really stupid name.

I was tempted several times to re-register as Sara Ellis. I always was a little jealous that Tom Davidson is simply Tom Davidson. How cool is that?

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, porce, "porcelain girl" is one of my favorite Hatrack nicks.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinandThomasHobbes
Member # 9158

- posted      Profile for CalvinandThomasHobbes   Email CalvinandThomasHobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
mine is a philosopher and a hi-larious cartoon character.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
What Rivka and Nick.

And also ditto.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I initially signed up under my own name (well, first name, anyway), but eventually realized that I was feeling so paranoid about the lack of anonymity (I know, I know--it's not like the internet's so small that I'm on a first name basis with it. I'm aware that it's kind of silly) that I decided to go with something else. I considered Baldur, since I've always liked that god quite a bit, but decided not to go with it, since the Baldur's Gate games were current at the time and I thought that people would think that I was making reference to them. I considered Ander, the name of a D&D character I'd played for about a decade, but thought that it sounded too close to Ender to be used on a forum of Card's. Eventually I decided to go with a name that actually meant something. "Noemon" is an Attic Greek name that means "thoughtful". Since a thoughtful approach was what I took to Hatrack at that point, I thought that it seemed appropriate. Later on I wished that I'd picked a name that translated as "smart ass".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being completely new to the whole forum thing, I decided to name myself after one of my favorite OSC characters. Luet is one of the main characters in The Homecoming series, for those who don't know. 13 is my favorite number and the date of my birth.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was way into Magic: The Gathering my favorite picture/character concept was a guy named Dakkon BlackBlade,
http://homepage.mac.com/cheethorne/Palladium/images/dakkon.jpg

I started using the moniker for online games as far back as Quake 1, but Diablo 1 and since then BlackBlade has always been my user name for anything online including games, forums, newsletters, etc.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Silmarillion there is a character named Ecthelion, who is one of 2 elves to ever slay a Balrog (consequently it is also the name of Denethor's father and so sometimes i get asked why id name myself after the father ofthe crazy guy.) I didnt really like the way Ecthelion (Ech-thel-yun) and played with it, i liked the "a" sound the most Ec-thal-yon. It has become a forum name/videogame name since.

I have another screename but i dont know why i picked it, i just eneded letters and numbers.

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

- posted      Profile for Madb   Email Madb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm poudering my hand in preperation to smack you in the face.

:: poufff ::

Be gone, scoundrel!

- MaSTERdb

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
im a big office fan and i thought large tuna was cooler than jim halpert [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nek
Member # 10545

- posted      Profile for Nek   Email Nek         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was originally reading the Hellfire storyline in Classic X-Men, and thought Black King sounded cool, so I chose that.

"But that's not your name."

Well, no, but when I needed another one I thought of a similarly dark and macabre theme - necromancy! So I chose "Nekromans".

"Still not your name."

Well, no, but people called me Nekro, and I didn't like that for some reason. So I changed it to Nek, my other nickname at that time.

"Who are you?"

Even I don't know... [Frown]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.