FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The movie everyone awaits....

Author Topic: The movie everyone awaits....
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that got your attention, didn't it? Knew it would. I have exhausted all my resources for any new information regarding the movie of Ender's Game and have found nothing. In fact I believe that the movie is no longer being made due to numerous disagreements from all parties involved. From what I hear, no two parties could agree on a solution to any one of the numerous issues about the film. I think all parties dispersed without word and are leaving the project as is - forever in preproduction. Another asumption of mine is that Card will not say anything on the topic because he does not want to let his fans down. Now all this may be false but I have heard nothing to prove it otherwise and so I will continue to believe that this is the truth until I learn otherwise. I suggest that all of you do the same so as not to get your hopes up for a movie that may never be made.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
.. Wow.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to say...

...Except that I've never heard a more arrogant statement.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
is this an anti-conspirocy theory???
it makes me sad, i think?

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC would have more character than that. I don't think he would shy away from telling us that the Ender's Game movie production ended in failure, if it did.

Do you really think insulting him on his own website is necessary?

EDIT: Grammatical errors

[ August 12, 2007, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares if a movie is never made???

Sure, it'd be cool to see, but come on, we still have the book, the short story, the audio book, and all the companion books. Is it really the end of the world not to see it on screen???

And it's not like if they don't make it NOW it can't be made sometime LATER. Besides, I doubt Card is lying to us about it. He's always been upfront about the fact that having it made into a movie is something he wants but not his highest priority, and that he's extremely picky about what can and cannot be done to the story. This wouldn't be the first time a movie deal on EG fell through, why would he lie about it???

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Well DDDaysh, I agree with you except I think seeing the movie made would be nice to see, especially if it drew more readers.

People ask me what my favorite book is,
"It's called Ender's Game."
"What's it about?"
"Well, it's in the future, about these aliens called buggers who want to destroy the human race"
"That sounds like a cheap sci-fi flick!"

I have a hard time convincing people it's a good read once they here the general premise of the story. I think a movie would help, though it could make it worse if not done properly, which is what OSC is probably trying to prevent.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, that description DOES make it sound like a cheap sci-fi flick. Nor is it an accurate description of what the book is about.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC isn't saying anything to us right now because he's working like a madman, and that probably includes more work on the movie. Gossip all you like, I'm not worried. I'd rather it be done right or not at all, personally.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I was exaggerating mimsies. I don't really explain the book like that. [Smile]

I'm with you CRash. [Smile]

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should rewrite the script to make it a puppet show, and all the characters should be represented as ducks.
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
There is not much insult in what Trance asks, just an honest question with some passion behind it. I doubt OSC would be offended - he's probably the king barb-write. If he can write a point through keen edged emotional filters, he can certainly read one.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People ask me what my favorite book is,
"It's called Ender's Game."
"What's it about?"
"Well, it's in the future, about these aliens called buggers who want to destroy the human race"
"That sounds like a cheap sci-fi flick!"

Wow.

I can't imagine describing that book to someone else in that way.

I mean, to me, the story about the fight with the buggers so totally inconsequential to the main focus of the boy, Ender. The book is about Ender - the war is just a way for us to learn about him.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Farmgirl, did you not see my post that said I was exaggerating? Like I ALREADY said, I don't really describe the book to others that way.

EDIT: I can describe exactly how I explain the book to somebody who respects my reading choices, and it's nothing like above. If it's somebody who asks what genre it is and they find out it's sci-fi (though not a sci-fi driven theme at all), their eyes glaze over and I won't waste my time.

Quit assuming my exaggerated statement above is actually how I explain it.

[ August 16, 2007, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

My apologies, Nick.

My brain fogged over with disbelief at the first post, so I did not see your follow up

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Looking back, I'm tempted to remove my edit because I got a little too hostile, so I apologize also.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Not necessary.

We are setting an important example here of how posters can solve misunderstandings and kiss and make up.
[Kiss]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Nick
Member # 4311

SHE KISSED ME!
[Blushing] [Wink]

See, that's my only complaint about forum communication, you have the ability to skim through to threads to look at a response to an interesting/inflammatory post, possibly missing further relevant information. I do it all the time. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
SHE KISSED ME!
yeah, and, uh... you're the same age as my SON.

So consider that a motherly peck on the cheek.

Nick
Member # 4311

[Blushing] again then.
I didn't know you had kids. I was kidding anyway. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Besides, didn't you just get married recently?

(if not, I have a daughter....)

[Big Grin]

Nick
Member # 4311

I was going going to get married, but there was a tragedy. If you want to know what happened, Click here.

I'd rather not rehash things here.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm sorry that I forgot reading that thread, Nick -- and didn't (in my mind) have it rightly associated with you. I knew (from your MySpace link to hers) that she had health problems, but I missed that.

My sincere apologies for bringing up that painful topic.

Hugs to you.

Yes -- now let's get this thread back on topic!

yoshi8710
Member # 10626

- posted      Profile for yoshi8710   Email yoshi8710         Edit/Delete Post 
instead of a live action movie...... the enders game movie is going to be the new futurama movie called Benders game!
yay

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the movie 'Eragon'? It was a pathetic shell of the book. The whole movie hardly added up to more than a movie trailer for the book.

If this is the result of trying to produce 'Enders Game' as a movie, then I would prefer that they didn't do it. If the movie producers won't let the actual story be told, then again, I would prefer that they not do it at all.

So, I'm not all that disappointed that the movie is stalled. Better Right than never, but even more so, much better Right than Wrong.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, this is the first I've heard of your loss. I'm really sorry - what a terrible thing to go through. (((Nickhugs)))

Bender's Game: YES.

To the originator of this thread: Jeeze Louise, simmer down. The movie will be made eventually, and best of all, it'll be made WELL. Let it happen when it happens and stop obsessing. As for telling everybody else what to think of the movie's progress, why not pay more attention right here at this forum? We all do, and we all feel fairly secure in the movie's future. Doesn't that tell you something?

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
When Bender fires the Little Doctor to destroy the Buggers, he'll say "Bite my shiny metal @$$."

Now I'm imagining Fry, Bender, Leela, Zoidberg, Hermes, and Dr. Farnesworth in a battleroom fight. It's hilarious. Thanks a lot, yoshi8710.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJFleckenstein
Member # 10912

- posted      Profile for AJFleckenstein   Email AJFleckenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we not agree that no movie would be able to employ the utter grace and complicated actions that happen in the battle room? If any hockey fans read this, you'll probably agree, no camera can truely capture a good hockey game; there is too much happening and too much that can happen to let one simple view hold the only perspective. And yes, I am relating the games of Ender Wiggin to a good game of hocky, we use what we can.
So, for what my opinion is worth, I dont believe hollywierd could ever do the dragon army justice, because once you start to trivialize the motions of null gravity battle, you already have a bad movie.

[ September 04, 2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: AJFleckenstein ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.