FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Will OSC weigh in on Dumbledore? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Will OSC weigh in on Dumbledore?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC prefers to weigh in on a scale.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, Dumbledore never struck me as a "bottom."
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razputin
Member # 9522

- posted      Profile for Razputin   Email Razputin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
There's no way she could have revealed this information without objection. If she had included it in the book, given how wildly unimportant it was, people would have cried foul that she was pushing an agenda on children. Saying it after the fact gives rise to the complaints we've all heard recently.

The only way out was either to make him straight, or to never tell anyone.

Exactly my point. Very well put!

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
If you're making that argument, you're starting from the assumption that controversy causes book sales to decrease. You're mistaken in thinking that this is the case.

In the case of homosexuality and children's books, I think you are very wrong. I believe that a high percentage of American parents would never had allowed their children to read these books if there was a gay character. American parents can't even deal with the idea of their kids seeing a woman's nipple on public TV for Christ sake.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would she do this for publicity when she's already got one of the most popular books ever.
I doubt there is little she can do to make them more or less popular. Writers have a whole history of characters in their head that never makes it to the finished book.
The complete history of Sirius Black comes to mind.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if he were going to do it, he would have done so by now. Though I had a dream about either a young Sirius Black or Teddy Lupin, I'm not sure which, but he was totally hot. He looked like a mix between Billy Zane and the guy from Big Fat Greek Wedding. I know that's probably hard to picture.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter is lame.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Sunday:
Harry Potter is lame.

You make a pursuasive argument.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You're such a pushover.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people call that "being agreeable."

Not me. But, you know, some people.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter is not lame.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. He was a pretty good athlete, according to the books.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Harry Potter is not lame.

That makes a lot of sense too! Now I don't know what to think!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The announcement made me a bit sad because I'd always had hopes for him and McGonagall.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyDove:
The announcement made me a bit sad because I'd always had hopes for him and McGonagall.

Had Mr. Card written the Potter books that might still be on the table. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

You mean with Dumbledore being long dead, or in terms of ...oh, right.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, Nah, I'd always hoped that they'd had love for one another, but chosen not to act on it because of their positions in the school. I don't recall that any of the teachers were married or acknowledged an SO; something that JKR never really explained. Because I was looking at it in that context, the revelation about Dumbledore seemed very odd to me.

Does anyone recall a teacher w/an SO or children at Harry's Hogwarts or JKR explaining why the teachers were single?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe it's because as a kid, you tend to view all the adults in your life as asexual drones, besides parents?

I guess drone isn't really the best word there. "Worker bees" makes more sense.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hagrid and Olympe, or whatever her name was.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed that the teachers being single was directly related to the fact that they are teachers at a boarding school. I don't know anything about Great Britain's educational system but I wonder if boarding school teachers frequently have families living with them.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else ever dream of going to an old fashioned English or New England boarding school? I know I always did as a kid, because stories always made them sound so cool. Of course, the ones I wanted to go to were generally all boys, so that was a bummer!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 8831

- posted      Profile for Constipatron           Edit/Delete Post 
i doubt card's going to say anything. after all, he includes gay characters in his books. as for rowling, there's NOTHING in the harry potter story that suggests overtly or covertly that dumbledore's gay. in fact, rowling's reply to the press about it was very underwhelming. she said the whole series is about tollerance (and i'm assuming about homosexuality, since it's a recent topic). if that were the case, then she should've actually MADE it an issue in the books. personally, i won't pick up another one of rowling's books, not because one of her characters was gay, but because her answer to the criticism she's receieved was so ineptly done that i've lost respect for her as an author. she's a good author, i'll admit, so is osc, but both have books i'd rather not read like card's earlier short stories and his latest horrible empire..... anyway... morrissey says it best: "reader meet author in the hope of hearing sense but you may be feeling let down by the words of defense..."
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.