FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dan in Real Life was brilliant

Author Topic: Dan in Real Life was brilliant
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad I read the review on this and went to see it. It was an awesome show. It had great dialogue, and dancing and people making their own music and humiliations galore.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't a big fan. I thought the movie had a good message, but that the characters kind of thought 'out-loud' too much when they spoke. My dad and my brother liked it a lot though so maybe I'm just nit-picking.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the movie. I've been a big fan of Steve Carrel's for a while. And this really, to me at least, brought him into the serious movies instead of your normal comedies.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think it was not meant to be strictly realistic all the time. Like when Marie and Mitch are doing the assisted stretching, I think we may have been seeing how it looked to Dan and not what might have actually been happening. Or, you know, the bookstore scene. I didn't see the very beginning, so it's possible I missed something.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
One question what does this have to do with Orson Scott Card?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One question what does this have to do with Orson Scott Card?

OSC wrote a very positive review, which was the sole reason the OP went to see the film.

That said, it maybe still doesn't need to be here, but that's definitely not my call, or yours.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

OSC's Review

"This movie instantly moved into my permanent all-time top twenty films. After I see it again, I may move it into the top ten.

"Don't miss this movie. You need it in your memory. You need it in your heart."

Though I nearly started a fight with my husband on the way home pondering whether this was a "Litmus test movie" and then remarking that his mother didn't like any of my litmus test movies. [Big Grin]

String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
OSC's Review

"This movie instantly moved into my permanent all-time top twenty films. After I see it again, I may move it into the top ten.

"Don't miss this movie. You need it in your memory. You need it in your heart."

Though I nearly started a fight with my husband on the way home pondering whether this was a "Litmus test movie" and then remarking that his mother didn't like any of my litmus test movies. [Big Grin]

[ROFL]
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.