FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Received an Email from OSC's assistant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Received an Email from OSC's assistant
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I received an email from Kathleen Bellamy from an AOL email address. She was claiming to be OSC Assistant, and wanted personal information.

Can anyone verify this person, and that an AOL address really would be a valid email address for someone working for Mr. Card?

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wizard, the best person to ask is Papa Moose, but I believe from correspondence years ago, Kathleen Bellamy is 4 real [Smile]
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've whistled your post, Steve (to bring it to Pop's attention, not because I thought there was something objectionable about your post).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen Bellamy is OSC's personal assistant, and she does have an aol e-mail address. If you want to ask me via e-mail, I can verify whether or not the e-mail is actually hers, but I have difficulty imagining someone would impersonate her.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I received what I imagine is an identical or similar email.

I think everyone who posted in the Ender in Exile thread from OSC got one.

Thanks for the verification PJ.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
got mine!!!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a message like that too. My mail service says it's junk, but that's because I told it to say that for any unknown messenger. Is it junk for real?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
she ought to get a hatrack.com email address!
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're in the witness protection program, I think it's to your benefit to treat it as real.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

OK [Smile]
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
BlueWizard just wanted to show off that he got an email about OSC. Wanted to see if anybody else got one.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
lol. Don't be so paranoid. [Razz]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

I'm VERY paranoid about the internet. And email. The great thing about the web is that anyone can read what you write, but the scary thing is that ANYONE can read what you write. And the other scary thing is that ANYONE can make himself look like ANYONE. So yes, along with my adoration for the information superhighway and all that it has accomplished, I find myself very apprehensive about using it for anything personal. I was even conflicted about posting my Brawl friend code on the Wii Gaming thread! [Blushing]
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent the Email Address to Papa Janitor for confirmation. Once confirmed, I will send my personal information.

WOW! What a thrill to get a free book from OSC himself.

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Do tell, what did the e-mail say exactly?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's for real.

Actually, the last time I chimed in on time conundrum, Mrs. Card asked for the information. But, Kathleen's for real, too. Fear not.

I loves my personalized and autographed copy of Shadow of the Giant. [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I know that con artists can be pretty cunning, but I've never heard of a, "hack into a famous author's site to access the email addresses of several posters, wait until they offer input for his next novel, then pose as his assistant to trick then into giving their home addresses, by pretending to offer them a free book for their help" scam.

If anyone's going to go to that much trouble, the least they could do is ask for a credit card number as well! [Razz]

But seriously, yeah, those who have been sent books in the past for helping have gotten similar emails before. It's legit.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

[Cry]

(I got there too late to be useful, but I did post in the thread. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

[Cry]
(I got there too late to be useful, but I did post in the thread. [Wink] )

I posted too... a single line, so i deserve a single line sent to me!
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Personally I thought my analysis was brilliant. I deserve co-authorship credit.

I kid I kid. But seriously, my lawyers are on retainer... kidding!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got that Email. As soon as I got it, I emailed Mrs. Card through her contact email listed on this site to verify and got a reply in a matter of minutes... The punctuality of our friendly Hatrack staff never ceases to amaze me!
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

I received confirmation from both Papa Janitor and K.A.Card.

What a thrill to get a free copy of the latest book.

Steve/bluewizard

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I hope he signs them.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

He signed the copies of SotG that he sent out...
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Got one too. Wow OSC is giving out alot of free copies. That can't be too good for business. [Wink]

BTW, what scam can be done with a name and address? It's not like it's something that can't be found in a phone book or a simple search.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've emailed back and forth with Kathleen Bellamy a few times. She is who she says she is, and is super-nice and helpful!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I wonder if there's any relation between her and Chris Bellamy, the film reviewer on IGMS.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Got one too. Wow OSC is giving out alot of free copies. That can't be too good for business. [Wink]

BTW, what scam can be done with a name and address? It's not like it's something that can't be found in a phone book or a simple search.

I challenge you to find the phone number for C3PO the Dragon Slayer in your Yellow Pages.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Now where did I put my Mos Eisley Yellow Pages...
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

But even if I found that information, what scam can I pull off with that? And I didn't mean I can find a specific person's information, but if you can scam someone with their number, address, and name then you can scam anyone in the yellow pages, and since all Kathleen Bellamy was asking for was name and address, what scam could she possibly be trying?
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I could scam all hatrackers adresses, then steal all thier mail, then use there bank accounts to make a large money fueled takeover of Canada.... and once i work out the kinks it's gunna happen!

And that is why you don't give out you adress!

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I can't imagine taking over Canada would take a massive effort. Six armed guys in the back of a pickup should do the trick. [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Or 1000 Kentucky riflemen?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm amazed that that didn't work.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

So THAT'S how the bad guy in Empire did it.
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

GaalDornick said: "...and since all Kathleen Bellamy was asking for was name and address, what scam could she possibly be trying?"

And is that the same message you give your kids????

Don't worry, just give out your name, address, and possibly telephone number because, after all, the bad guys can get that information from the phone book.

The potential scam could be anything -- revenge for some perceive offensive statement on-line, identity theft, psycho-axe-murder plot, SPAM, unrequited love, or any number of things.

Regardless of whether a scam can or can't be perpetrated on the Internet, the rule is NEVER give out personal information unless you know with absolute certainty who are are giving it to and what their motive is.

Hey...I was just being careful.

Steve/bluewizard

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Not for any useful definition of the word 'careful', but it's certainly your right to do so. [Smile]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what you're trying to say, JT.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I can retro-analyze the book, and get a free copy?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
quote:

I challenge you to find the phone number for C3PO the Dragon Slayer in your Yellow Pages.
Though in his column writing OSC may appear, well, curmudgeony, in real life OSC is a very decent man who truly cares about his fans. He is probably the most generous person I've met, and in his own church community (through which I met him in the first place) tries his best to be "regular in decent in all his ways" (to quote Huck Finn.)

quote:
I wonder if there's any relation between her and Chris Bellamy, the film reviewer on IGMS.
IIRC, Chris is Kathleen's son.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Brian J. Hill:
[QB]
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
quote:

Though in his column writing OSC may appear, well, curmudgeony, in real life OSC is a very decent man who truly cares about his fans. He is probably the most generous person I've met, and in his own church community (through which I met him in the first place) tries his best to be "regular in decent in all his ways" (to quote Huck Finn.)
I don't really understand what your post has to do with what you quoted. [Confused]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I have no idea what you're trying to say, JT.

If the poster I was talking to has the same problem, I'll be happy to clarify.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

The way I understood it was that you were saying that he's not being "careful" by withhold his name and address. Maybe something more like overly-cautious [Wink] (that's just my opinion, not what you said).
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You aren't willing to clarify for me?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't often agree with BlueWizard, but I do on this. Verifying that the person who is asking for your address and full name is legit seems like perfectly reasonable caution to me.

Then again, I'm the person who verified that Ralphie was legit, so what do I know. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

Bluewizard:

"Hey...I was just being careful."

El JT de Spang :

Not for any useful definition of the word 'careful', but it's certainly your right to do so.

Yeah, sorry JT, don't have a clue what you are referring to.

Though, I speculate...

It seems to be a very useful definition of 'careful'. Once again, I ask, is this what you tell your kids, 'just go ahead and give out your personal information, after all, they can just look in the phone book'?

I mean, it could have been someone selling time-shares who would have eventually gotten my phone number and inundated me with calls to come to a free lecture and receive a free toaster just for listening to a the presentation.

Now that wouldn't have been terrible if they were willing to take NO for an answer, but the keep calling and calling and calling, then when they are done with my number, they sell it to someone else and they keep calling and calling and calling.

Or, like I said, it could have been some obsessed stalker who fell in love with my witty posts, and decided I was the one for them.

Or it could have been an axe murderer who only kills people who have the word 'blue' in their screen name.

The thing is, it is legitimately cautions and reasonable to NOT give out personal information to anyone you meet on-line unless you are confident of who they are and what they want.

Hey...I'm just saying...

Steve/bluewizard

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Before I continue, let me just tell you that I'm just having fun here playing Devil's Advocate, I'm not actually trying to criticize you for this. That said:

quote:
I mean, it could have been someone selling time-shares who would have eventually gotten my phone number and inundated me with calls to come to a free lecture and receive a free toaster just for listening to a the presentation.

Now that wouldn't have been terrible if they were willing to take NO for an answer, but the keep calling and calling and calling, then when they are done with my number, they sell it to someone else and they keep calling and calling and calling."

Again, if someone wants a name, number, and address they can just pull it out of the phone books. Who would buy that info or try to pull off such a scam just to get information that you can get for free so easily? Not that to find your name and address would be easy, but to find a random person who you want to call a million times to try to sell something to is easy. And why would someone think that you would be more likely to buy whatever it is they're trying to sell?

quote:
Or, like I said, it could have been some obsessed stalker who fell in love with my witty posts, and decided I was the one for them.

Or it could have been an axe murderer who only kills people who have the word 'blue' in their screen name.

This is what I was referring to when I said that's being overly-cautious as opposed to careful. There could also be an axe murderer in your neighborhood who decides everyone in the phone book named Steve should die a slow and painful death, so perhaps you should change your name too. It's just being careful.

quote:
The thing is, it is legitimately cautions and reasonable to NOT give out personal information to anyone you meet on-line unless you are confident of who they are and what they want.

If by personal information you mean bank account number, credit card number, social security number, etc., then yes it is legitimately reasonable. But name and address? It's not something I would expect someone to come up with such an elaborate scam to get like the one Kathleen would've had to come up with.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Wow, it just takes 48 posts in a useless topic about getting a free gift to help prove how childish we all are. Every time I see this topic I am annoyed at the insistence on clutching at the tiny amount of validation getting an email from someone's assistant has afforded everyone. Please stop. For me.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What exactly do you want people to stop doing?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Wow, it just takes 48 posts in a useless topic about getting a free gift to help prove how childish we all are. Every time I see this topic I am annoyed at the insistence on clutching at the tiny amount of validation getting an email from someone's assistant has afforded everyone. Please stop. For me.

Relax man. Like I said, just having fun playing devil's advocate, it's not really a serious argument.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.