FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Kristi Yamaguchi

Author Topic: Kristi Yamaguchi
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
So now that she's won, do you think OSC was right when he said it was too easy for Kristi Yamaguchi to win Dancing with the Stars?

I have to think that it was, because if you know how to "dance" as a figure skater it stands to reason that you have some skills that can transfer to ballroom dancing. But I was a little disbelieving when OSC flatly stated, "Too much of the posing, the smoothness, the upper-body movement is identical between ballroom and figure skating for us not to regard Kristi Yamaguchi as a ringer." What does he really know about figure skating? I don't recall it being a part of any of his novels or stories.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that her skills as a figure skater would help her with dancing, and I think that would give her an advantage over many of her competitors.

As for the OSC comments, just because he does not write about something in his novels doesn't mean he is not qualified to share his opinion. Heck, I work in retail...but I think my area of knowledge extends past retail management.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know a single thing. You can tell because I haven't published any stories.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I had thought, althought it may be another author, that one of his intrests was figure skating. It read it in back of a book recently... i think.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
My point was not so much that he never wrote about figure skating in a novel or story as that I'd never heard him say anything about figure skating before; as I haven't read every OSC book, I was wondering if it was part of one of them. Again, OSC is probably right; I'm just surprised at how authoritative his statement came across as. Maybe it's just me.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
You can tell because I haven't published any stories.

Eh, that's not how I was able to tell.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't talking to you.
[/prim]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And that's how I was able to tell.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think I'm stuck in an infinite recursive loop.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My point was not so much that he never wrote about figure skating in a novel or story as that I'd never heard him say anything about figure skating before; as I haven't read every OSC book, I was wondering if it was part of one of them. Again, OSC is probably right; I'm just surprised at how authoritative his statement came across as. Maybe it's just me.
I haven't done any checking, but off the top of my head I can't think of an opinion OSC has offered in his Rhino Times columns that wasn't stated authoritatively. I thought when I read his statement about ice skating and dancing that he was probably right; of course I had already thought of that before I read his column so it's easy to think people are right when they say what you already think. [Wink]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was constantly taught, back in public school, that when writing persuasively, you must state any opinion you have as if it were fact. After all, people already know it's what "you think", otherwise you wouldn't be writing it...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.