FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dear Mr. Card

Author Topic: Dear Mr. Card
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please listen to some Sara Groves. Start with an earlier album like 'Conversations' or 'All Right Here'.

This is prompted by your review of some Christian Pop, most of which I sadly agree with.

But Sara Groves is awesome. Seriously. Please. Listen. To. Her... Now.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former partaker of Christian music (I gave up on a lot of the music due to the lack of quality control, but I have never relinquished my faith, for the record), I gotta say... There's a lot of really hackneyed/weak stuff out there; not all of it, please don't take me the wrong way.

I won't speculate on motives, but the common themes I've seen are either sub-par musicianship/songwriting skills, or, in the higher budget acts, session cats backing really trite sounds.

A lot of those groups profess evangelism as a goal, but I maintain that this is the most literal example of "preaching to the choir."

I think that unless your goal as an artist is to sell music to other Christians, fully aware of the limitations (self-imposed, by and large, if unspoken yet established as convention in so very many cases), that one should focus on one's art without having to wave the flag of faith JUST TO SELL RECORDS.

Without sounding mean or trolling, the staggering majority of popular Christian artists fail to bring anything worthwhile to the table, and would not be successful WITHOUT the added benefits of the built-in fanbase that the genre contains.

I want to reiterate, before anyone blows up, that I am not trying to flame, and I am most assuredly not speaking of all artists in the genre. I think that truly amazing art in the world of Christian music, though, remains the exception rather than the rule-- by a whole heck of a lot.

I'm done. I just wanted to say.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, he's downloaded four of her albums because after sampling the songs, he liked them. So, we'll see after living with them for a while.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he'd like Norma Jean.
They actually are a Christian band, but they sound so....

loud and aggressive.
Very metal core-y, but if a person can take longer than 5 minutes of it, it's interesting stuff in terms of rhythm and pure screamage.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he'd like the sound of Andy Gullahorn- more of a Christian folk artist. But his songs titled "If I Were" and "Holy Flakes" would especially appeal to his interests from what else I've read about how he views faith and music.

I mostly listen to various types of Christian music- not because it is so technically proficient but just because it makes me happy.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
OK, he's downloaded four of her albums because after sampling the songs, he liked them. So, we'll see after living with them for a while.

I'm trying to resist the urge to turn around and go 'Who, me?' So far, I've searched the other posts for any other possible 'hers' and come up with nil (Is that spelled with one 'l' or two? never mind)

So... Just like that. He's got four albums... That so cool. [Big Grin]

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.