FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Advent Rising

Author Topic: Advent Rising
ColtelloMer
Member # 11779

- posted      Profile for ColtelloMer           Edit/Delete Post 
Please forgive me if this is already a topic. BUT, what happened to Advent Rising (the game that OSC helped on) i thought there was suppose to be two more? I haven't played it, hence it was for xbox and i didn't own one at the time, but i've heard both good and bad reveiws. If anyone has played it, was it any good? And was the story decent?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
It got pretty mixed ratings and didn't sell very well. So they pretty much decided to cancel it.

Think Too Human. It was incredibly ambitious. And mostly fell flat.

It happens sometimes.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I played it. It had a bad framerate and the dialogue was contrived. Gamespy had the best overall review of the game. It was just unpolished, both in terms of graphics and story. The most notable shortcoming was where those two elements have to seam together, as the cutscenes were often junk.

The story pretty much just ceased to interest me and I did not actually finish it. I coulda figured they would have canceled the planned trilogy.

Didn't know Card was involved in it. Huh.

Anyway, Mass Effect for PC/360 is essentially everything advent rising wanted to be and it has a better story so you might want to try that one out if you have not already.

[ October 15, 2008, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColtelloMer
Member # 11779

- posted      Profile for ColtelloMer           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, Card wrote the dialogue for the game and he may of done sometime else too, but i'm not sure
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, ... hmm. are you sure he wrote the dialogue? I'm thinking (hoping?) he was just involved in the drafting of the story. The dialogue itself was bad.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they can't all be Monkey Island...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, he didn't write all the dialogue, nor did he have control over the story.

In any case, I enjoyed the game.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.