FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Things I want for Christmas from OSC

Author Topic: Things I want for Christmas from OSC
digitalpowers
Member # 11853

- posted      Profile for digitalpowers   Email digitalpowers         Edit/Delete Post 
I know half the posts on this forum are things that people wish OSC would write or finish but that is not going to deter me from adding mine.

I wish OSC would write a book about the descoledores (spelling?) you know the virus people from CotM.

I wish OSC would write the story he began in Advent Rising the XBOX game. Cause it was a freaking good story and the fact that it cannot continue because of video games sales makes me sad.

I have more but I cant think of them, those two are the most pressing in my world. I just want to know, curse you sir for being so brilliant!

Cheers.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish OSC would write a book about the descoledores (spelling?) you know the virus people from CotM.
Yeah, I remember the descolador. Great news! OSC has already written three books dealing with it. SftD, X, and CotM! [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digitalpowers
Member # 11853

- posted      Profile for digitalpowers   Email digitalpowers         Edit/Delete Post 
Except those are the books he introduces them in, he actually said he intended to write a book following CotM in the audio book version of CotM that had to do with the Descolador. But I just think it would be interesting to see the characters interacting with them [Big Grin]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeroWolf666
Member # 11847

- posted      Profile for NeroWolf666   Email NeroWolf666         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Shadows in Flight was going to go more in depth with the virus people.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digitalpowers
Member # 11853

that would be sweet but sorta strange, since isnt shadows in flight about bean and his descendants?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One is a group of genetically-enhanced human geniuses doomed to slow death by gigantism.

The other is a group of people that writes pseudo-intelligent super-viruses that re-write organism's DNA.

Nope. I don't think they'll have anything to talk about.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadows in Flight is supposed to be about Bean's descendants (Bean is dead by then) meeting Ender's family - the people who will be trying to figure out the descoladores. So I think we can assume that these new aliens will play a rather large role in that book.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digitalpowers
Member # 11853

oh well sweet then, 1 down next up Advent Rising
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't think you'll get it for Christmas this year, though.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pessimist!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that OSC mentioned somewhere that Shadows in Flight is going to be the bridge between the Ender Saga and the Shadow Saga. As such, it is likely to be set (mostly) at the time of the most recent events, including the Descoladores.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
If bean's children were still out there flying around, wouldn't Jane have known about it and brought them back as soon as she could teleport things? Or did she just forget with all the stuff going on, and that is how they are going to come into the new novel? Or were they traveling for over 3000 years only to find that people have already arrived where they were going through teleportation?
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't think you'll get it for Christmas this year, though.

You're obviously not in on the secret: read Ender in Exile backwards and it's actually Shadows in Flight. It's literally two books in one! Really! Go check.

Although I have to admit that SiF isn't up to Card's usual standard. It's almost incoherent. [Confused]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually a reasonable question, J-Put. Though it seems if Bean had an ansible, a lot of stuff might have gone different. Maybe they just don't have an ansible. Maybe ansibles are really bulky and they were saving all the room for their giant bodies. Maybe once Bean was dead, his children didn't feel like talking to anyone. Maybe Bean asked Jane not to tell anyone about him. Maybe its because he only played the fantasy game once. I don't know.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigDAlcala
Member # 11915

- posted      Profile for BigDAlcala           Edit/Delete Post 
I came to this site to ask the community: What happens to Bean!? Bean was awesome, and I almost cried both at the end of Shadow of the Giant and Ender in Exile. Thank you for answering that question. I can only hope this book comes out soon!

J-Put, if I can remember correctly, it took time and a grueling process of elimination for Jane to simply locate the Descoladores' point of origin. I would think that would imply that the Descoladores are definitely not a part of Jane's network...yet.

My theory is this: The Descoladores' planet is the planet that Bean, and/or his descendants, decided to live on (or around) in order to conduct their research in genetics and alteration. I think that they are using other planets as a way to conduct their experiments; although I can't fathom how they could possibly retrieve the data from them. I assume *Bean* (said as an entity, including him and/or all his descendants, rather than simply him as a person) came across Lusitania before MinCol (or was it Starways COngress by then?) did. Maybe even the Pequeninos can be considered to be genetic descendants of Bean?

The possibilities are endless. No pressure, OSC, but PLEASE GET THAT BOOK IN MY HANDS SOON! [Razz]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing matters until Master Alvin. Seriously.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Sunday:
Nothing matters until Master Alvin. Seriously.

Q.F.T.
[Hat]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antronics
Member # 11894

- posted      Profile for antronics   Email antronics         Edit/Delete Post 
..Here's my list:

1. Book about Bean and his children.

2. Book about the DNA race at the end of Xenocide/Children of the Mind (I forget which was the last book)

3. Another Pastwatch.

4. More Ender.

5. Hivequeen--Hi Sean! =)

6. Hegemon.

7. Life of Human.

8. Jane.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.