FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Earthborn

Author Topic: Earthborn
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have purchased all of the Homecoming series new audiobook recordings but can't find anything on Earthborn.

Anybody heard anything about it's release?

Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
They seem to be coming out slowly - I suspect it's still in production.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah its out
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

- posted      Profile for Terry O'Brien   Email Terry O'Brien         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the first 4. Avoid Earthborn at all costs.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K_heron
Member # 8893

- posted      Profile for K_heron           Edit/Delete Post 
What did you dislike so much about Earthborn that you didn't mind in the first four?
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Earthborn isn't too bad a read if you read all the Shedemei/Oversoul parts and skip everything else.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

- posted      Profile for Terry O'Brien   Email Terry O'Brien         Edit/Delete Post 
Earthborn takes place some thousand yeara after the first 4, discarding characters I had grown to love. It's the first Card book I have actively hated.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he was just trying to be faithful to the source material. [Big Grin]

I'm not sure what you'd call it if a Mormon wrote a science fiction retelling of the Book of Mormon that remained closely parallel until the very last book, and then went off in a completely unexpected direction, but I'd call it audacious at the very least. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read Earthborn the first time I was so startled and perturbed by the change that it colored that reading. The next time I enjoyed it much more; the new characters, seeing how the plans of Nafai and Elemak came to fruit in the long run, and the resolution of the overall story arch. In fact, I think I'll read it again today. Another good thing about [i]Earthborn{/i] is that you can read it as a standalone. If I pick up CoE I'm practically dedicated to reading all the rest.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Earthborn. It's one of my favorite closers. I loved the characters in the first four too, but the new ones live up. And there's more of them.

The one things I wished was explored more in the series was Protchnu's life. He was a great character.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

....and then went off in a completely unexpected direction.

Earthborn follows the source material as close as the first four. The first four books follow 1st Nephi in the Book of Mormon sort of and Earthborn follows Mosiah and Alma sort of.

Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

Sorry, but I hated it. I still loves me some OSC, but Earthborn didn't do it for me. And nothing any of you say can change my mind.

[Razz]

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise I guess, but I'm not posting a smiley.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rodger Brown:
....and then went off in a completely unexpected direction.

Earthborn follows the source material as close as the first four. The first four books follow 1st Nephi in the Book of Mormon sort of and Earthborn follows Mosiah and Alma sort of.

Right. I was saying it'd have weird if this wasn't the case.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

Sorry I misread your post. I hide in shame.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I have to join the "I Love Earthborn" side. The first time I read it - not so much. It was "ok" but giving up on my favorite characters was hard on me.

In subsequent readings, it has become more and more my favorites. That is really saying something considering that Ships of Earth & Earthfall are also some of my favorite reads. There is something so sweet about almost all the characters. It is one of the few books I've ever read that portrays so clearly how a human being can be both perfect and flawed at the same time. There is alot of talk in the series (and also in the Alvin series) about this "perfect fruit". I actually find the idea of the fruit somewhat silly - but the intensity and goodness of the idea behind it is powerful. The way the characters have their strengths and weaknesses, the WAY those things come together to form the person as a whole, even the way that Akma manages to twist an almost Arthurian character to do such despicable things... it... it's just SO nice to read.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

One of the reasons I love Earthborn is that it's the only ensemble story I've read from Card. Most of his stories have a lead.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept tripping over the titles, compounded names, honorifics, etc.

I think I probably missed something, not going back and checking to see who was what and what was who.

It was exhausting.

I still enjoyed the story, as confusing as the characters names were at times.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I didn't think they were all that confusing....
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
I didn't think they were all that confusing....

I speed read my novels. If I slowed down and savored the story a bit more, I'm sure they would have been easier for me to grasp. Or maybe not.

I know I miss a lot reading that way.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

I think one of the reasons I followed the characters as well as I did was because I'm very familiar with the source material otherwise I would have gotten lost in all of the brothers the sons the kings the judges all of it.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Just out of curiosity, why do you speed read things you're reading for fun?
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
Just out of curiosity, why do you speed read things you're reading for fun?

I believe it's a combination of greed and guilt.

Reading “fun stuff” is my great escape, one that I feel guilty about partaking in sometimes. I'm greedy about wanting to read so many books. So many books, so little time.

[Dont Know]

I'm female and a mother. Some of us are guilt mongers. I need to learn how to treat myself to a slow, luxurious novel read.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Ah - I do audio books primarily now. I used to scoff at them, thinking they weren't as good a "really reading" the book, but I started using them as a way to make my commutes (an hour each way to work every day) a little more bearable. Now I actually find them BETTER than reading the books in many cases. Eventually I got an ipod and an audible account, so now I can "read" when I'm folding laundry, doing data entry at work, washing dishes, or mowing the lawn. It means I can enjoy my books without any guilt.
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

DDDaysh Welcome to my world thats exactly what I did and why I look forward to new audible releases

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.