FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadows in Flight, a stupid question

Author Topic: Shadows in Flight, a stupid question
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Just king of wondered, if all of Bean's body grows at the same rater, so that he is the larger version of a normally proportioned adult, why would his heart and lungs be too weak? Wouldn't his larger heart, veins, arteries, lungs, etc. be able to sustain his super sized body, since they would be on the same scale?

I know it seems to be accepted that people who turn into giants in the real world out grow their hearts, but I kind of figured the way it is described in the books, he should be okay.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that as a body gets larger linearly, the work required to support it grows exponentially. Not sure WHY I believe that, but I heard it somewhere and it sounds reasonable [Smile]
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey Card:
I'm pretty sure that as a body gets larger linearly, the work required to support it grows exponentially.

Close. The organs' cross-sectional areas (which is the key issue) increase with the square of the linear dimensions; the stress grows with the volume, so with the cube.

A twenty-foot giant would break his own thighbones with every step he took.

http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/scaling.html

[ April 24, 2012, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest reason I don't like being 6'4". I don't know too many that tall and about that make it to 90.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Cools, thanks for the info
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Commonly known as the Square/Cube Law.

Also very commonly ignored in fiction

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.