FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC has question for Pathfinder readers

Author Topic: OSC has question for Pathfinder readers
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
In working on the 3rd volume "Visitors" right now, OSC has a question some of you might be able to help with.

For Pathfinder readers:

Is Umbo the only character who can project his image into the past in order to give warnings, or does Rigg ever do an image projection (rather than physically going)?

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember Rigg ever projecting an image. It's been about 9 months since I read both books, but it seems like Rigg always travels bodily.

Having said that, I don't remember anything implying that he *couldn't* project an image. So if he did it, I wouldn't cry foul.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty certain that Rigg has never done an image projection before, just Umbo. Rigg has always actually physically gone there.

I agree with DustinDopps, though... I don't think it's "world-breaking" for him to figure out how to do an image projection rather than physically travel. The mystery of how the paths actually work and how Rigg travels along/between them is probably nebulous enough that the image projection ability shouldn't be a violation of what's already been established.

Or if what Umbo does is somehow fundamentally different than what Rigg does, perhaps it's a matter of Rigg discovering that he can somehow briefly "hold" himself between two paths/times, while not being fully present in both (almost like a translucent/partially transparent image to both).

Hope this helps.

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC sends his great thanks and says "OK, that's what I wanted. I wanted Rigg NOT to be able to do it - that it's an Umbo thing But I didn't want to say so if there was a time when Rigg had done it!"

That's all he needed, so thanks so much. Of course, if somebody does have an instance where Rigg sent an image, we do need to know about it ASAP [Smile]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ToRiFn
Member # 13121

- posted      Profile for ToRiFn   Email ToRiFn         Edit/Delete Post 
I literally just finished listening to Pathfinder Book 1 about 5 days ago and now tonight completed book 2 Ruin. I was wondering why Rigg couldn't appear to Ram Oden and himself in the control room with the two knives right when they are about to kill each other. It seems like the face-mask made it so he was better able to control the parts of his power that were similar to Umbo and Param however since he didn't appear to himself and Oden as an apparition and created a duplicate of himself in the process it would seem that he can't do it or hasn't determined how to do so at this time. Please hurry on book 3 I am dying for more of Rigg and these great adventures in time.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick
Member # 13133

- posted      Profile for Rick           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason why Rigg can't do it may have to be explained because you have implied that each of their unique-seeming powers are actually just different facets of the same ability. That is why they are able to successfully teach them to each other. At least, that was the impression with which I was left. Great fun! Thank you.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen_Owens
Member # 13138

- posted      Profile for Gwen_Owens           Edit/Delete Post 
In reading these books, it seems to me that Rigg is the most advanced with understanding his gift and what he is able to do with it. It wouldn't surprise me that he could just use his image to go back in time and not his physical self, it seems like that is a "lesser" part of his power. Maybe Umbo can teach him how to access that? Love these stories!!! Can't wait for the next one!!!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.