FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Orginal Potry (Page 13)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Orginal Potry
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed you were speaking metaphorically, as you've never suggested here that you were dating. Were you not?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
You know how these things are. They happen quickly sometimes. [Wink]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I never said this

What?
Poems?
Did you say poems make you happy?
But,
I can DO that!
Could it possibly really be that easy?
Words
Spill out,
Tripping tumbling one on top of the other
Eager,
Goofy,
Giddily stupidly vying to try and please you.
Wrong!
Tricksy!
Now I'm surely simply just trying to fool me
Into
Thinking
Life could conceivably ever really rahulme
That
You could
Tolerate, or LIKE even, this crazy memetic infection
Or ever
Stand up to
The full firehose blast of my affection.
.........apoiojfhdahkrleksjrhkljh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So...
Mets.
What chance do you think they have at the pennant?

[ August 13, 2004, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, who is this Rahul? Please tell me he's not an Iraqi Mormon. [Smile] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Tom,
You know me,
Nothing so normal and quotidian as that!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Is he a corporeal, living, human being?
ak
Member # 90

What's it
To you?
Is loss of sleep from newfatherhood making you kind of grumpy?

[Smile] j/k

[ August 09, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

No. I'm just curious, and you're being coy. I figure that if you didn't actually want us to ask, you wouldn't be acting coy in the first place.
ak
Member # 90

Sheesh!
Now what?????
I'm talking in some goofy tombombadillian meter!

[ August 09, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone get her some insulin.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'd still like an answer to the "corporeal, living human being" question. [Smile]
ak
Member # 90

I'm fine
But thanks, Scott, for worrying about me and my hyperglycemia.

ak
Member # 90

<Squirts
Tom
Thrice with the fomula409bottle of my affection>

[ August 09, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Okay. Clearly, fallow has obtained Anne Kate's password. If she's still alive, and he hasn't horribly mutilated her body in some way, I'd imagine that he's got her locked up in a basement somewhere. A rescue mission may be necessary.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes people need to be in hatrack chat more often to know what is going on.
[Razz]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No. That's like saying people should try reading the hug thread.
Scott R
Member # 567

Aw. Tommy needs some hugs.

Christy--?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs all around [Smile] But the best ones are still the real ones.

So enlighten us you evil pranksters! What romance has been budding on Hatrack Chat? Is love in the air, or is it just another game?

And where did all the poets go? Yaay for Anne Kate for reviving the thread! *goes off, scribbling some baby-related verse* Tom?

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Well, just we all three got engaged is all. And I'm the luckiest girl in the galaxy! [Smile]

Edit: The Local Group, even! The supercluster!

[ August 10, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You still haven't said whether these are actual, physical people.
ak
Member # 90

Celestial Glory

Now crawl into the lap of Uncle Grisha
And read a story
All about a tree
And about a boy.

About some gifts of fruit
Of limbs and branches
A trunk
A stump
The sun, and a quiet joy.

Fast forward now, to Volemak the man,
A vision pointing towards the promised land.
Melted, his iron, into a silken rope,
Leading again to that one white tree of hope.

No higher exaltation could there be
Than to eat
... From your hand
The fruit
... Of that tree.

[ August 10, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Still not following. Sorry. [Smile]
(Edit: I mean, I THINK I get the references, but not remotely how they'd apply to what you say you're talking about. *grin*)

[ August 10, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

ak
Member # 90

These are all just epithalamia. It's a series.

[ August 10, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Thank you. [Smile] But who ARE these people, the ones who are marrying? *grin*

[ August 10, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

ak
Member # 90

I'm trying to introduce them to you. They are Grisha and Rahul. Grisha and Rahul, meet Tom. [Smile]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something I wrote about working a shift just after I got back from Kamacon. It's post-partum depression. [Frown]

I don't walk that way anymore, no.
Now I sit in silence with my hands over my mouth
watching the door and thinking as best I can
about the things I can no longer do
and the places I can no longer go.

I miss the voices and eyes already.

And I'm stringing myself along, thinking
though I don't want to go on thinking.
Blinking though my eyes want to stay closed.
So I shoot my veins full of colors...
Drop into my soul the insidious poison.

Much as I hate it, it works.

There's a deluge though I'm blinded,
hidden away in a bolt-hole
that shines with lines on my TV screen.
A crick in my neck and the memory,
clothes on the floor that I wore.

Faces pass in my mind.

An hour left to go, before
another drive separates me from another home.
Not one nearly so long.
And maybe someday I'll be there again.
With names and faces and blurs around me.

Home among strangers.

(Keep in mind, I've slept a grand total of four hours in the last twenty-four. I'm running on coffee, duct tape and hope, so my poetry might not be great...)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I love that! Home among strangers! Wow!

You guys aren't strangers, to me, though. You are my family. I'm not one of those with threespace bias. [Smile] I live here at Hatrack, in cyberspace.

ak
Member # 90

Tom, speaking of the divide between three- and cyberspaces, I understand you met one of my fiances this weekend. I hope you found him suitably corporeal for your satisfaction. I understand you gave us your blessing and for that I am delighted and grateful! [Smile] The other one is going to be hard to get into crowds. You guys may just have to take our word for it that he exists. <goofy grin>

The latest brand new one seems to like a bit of attention and so I'm sure he'll soon be here posting like mad, and you'll be able to learn of him directly from the jorge's mouth, so to speak. [Smile] I expect you'll approve of him highly as well.

<---lucky!!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ August 17, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

ak
Member # 90

Since he IS adorable, clever, smart, funny, and interesting, and since he does seem to enjoy attention, I take the liberty of linking to his journal, for those who are interested. Maybe you guys can get him making more frequent updates! I sure hope so! [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No. That's like saying people should try reading the hug thread.
Why do people keep thinking this? The correlation between the two is almost non-existent. I think two people from chat post on the hug thread.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I understand now; the corporeality isn't fictional, but the fiance bit is. [Smile]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like, Ryuko. And I sympathize. (even with eight hours of sleep under my belt [Razz] )

AK *intrigued* No fair!

[ August 17, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You've met Grisha, too, Christy. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

<Wonders why Tom would think her polyandrous engagement is fictional, but oh well, is too happy to care> [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
ak
Member # 90

<<<<sveta>>>> I don't blame you at all for being jealous, darling! Any girl in the universe would be jealous of me right now. I still can't believe my insane luck! (Not because I'm engaged to 3 guys but because I'm engaged to THESE three guys!) I feel like I won 10 lotteries back to back, and then my hot water kettle dropped 10 degrees in temperature and jumped a foot in the air. [Smile]

You know what? I wonder if there's some sort of infinite improbability field working around here somewhere. That would explain it! [Smile]

[ August 17, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Wonders why Tom would think her polyandrous engagement is fictional"

Well, um....I respectfully decline to respond to that question on the grounds that my answer would tick you off. [Smile]

ak
Member # 90

Tom, dearheart! Anger is not something I seem to be able to feel anymore. [Kiss]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

That's not something I'm willing to test, even under controlled conditions. [Smile]
ak
Member # 90

<giggles> Ah, breaking news! We added the D last night. I'm positively overjoyed! I thought I couldn't be happier before but I was wrong!

I've got lots of poetry to write now! But more details forthcoming! Just had to announce right away because I'm bursting with happiness. [Smile]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(shakes head) AK, you are some kinda oddball.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

In case you missed it, from OSC's Uncle Orson Reviews Everything.

quote:
What poetry needs are new poets speaking in the vernacular. Not screaming in the vernacular -- the Def Poetry stuff on HBO is merely sad. We need poets with power to use the language and poetic forms to say things that need saying to people who are hungry to hear them -- and to hear them said with beauty and cleverness and skill.
Aaaaah--men.
Scott R
Member # 567

Frivel and Schleck, Sesto!

When you walk under the moon,
Just sing this little tune,
And think of all the fiddle-floo we've played.
Though your mijjle's gotten weary,
And your plickton's feeling smeary,
Don't ever think your welcome's overstayed.

Loo-dee-loo-dee-lollie. . .
We'll sure miss you, jolly.
Lie-doo-lee-doo-leeloo . . .
We sing our song for you-loo.

Perhaps our jimps will play again,
When there's sun instead of rain.
And maybe when your grinkle's well,
We'll sit and frivel for a spell.
Won't it be fine, won't it be grand
To again throw yarjubs across the land?

Loo-dee-loo-dee-lollie. . .
We'll sure miss you, jolly.
Lie-doo-lee-doo-leeloo . . .
We sing our song for you-loo.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I'm *not* a poet. The only poetry I wrote was in adolescence. But I pulled up an old poem I wrote long ago to use a Cub Scout Pack Meeting. I revamped it a bit because of the awkward wording. It is still awkward. I thought I would post it for kicks.

The sands of time glitter like diamonds, and O how precious they are
They stretch on before me in an endless stream reaching eternity far
I may not bid them stay, no matter my wish, their flow will never halt.
But as they pass, they transform to shadows and become as they were naught.
Yet I retain a piece of each one past, and the ones I treated well
Are stored up unto me--I treasure them, and stories they do tell!
The moments that I did not cherish are worthless sands to me.
N’er again may I have a second chance to restore their lustrous gleam.
If I stop to ponder upon this truth and see what harm I’ve done,
I cry to myself in deepest scorn, “How could you waste a diamond?”

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R, that was fun. I love nonsensical words used in poetry. Jabberwocky comes to mind. As does e e cummings

[ August 28, 2004, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

For those of you who missed it on the Mrs. Powell is the devil thread:

Fanatic

I've lost my direction but I double my speed
The signs on your heart are too tough to read
This road is too lonely, I cry for the light.
I race past your window, get lost in the night.
And the trail is too dim, or my soul is just damned,
Am I chasing shadows or do you hold my hand?
My unwhispered question, "Am I out of your grace?"
Is forgotten behind me, sacrificed to the chase.
And so I run or I limp, I fly or I crawl
You lift up my heart, but then let me fall.
I'm not looking for answers, just a moment of peace
But the dark path runs long, and there is no release.

Some interesting tidbits about this poem:

This is one of my few angsty poems.

I wrote it in high-school, when I was feeling put out at God, and at a girl. The first line is from a talk given by one of the Mormon apostles. I don't remember which.

My dad read it years later, and thought my wife had written it. This is because my family thinks I'm Mr. Cheery McHappy. They do not know about the Implacable Engine of Ultimate Destruction.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott is one my favorite poets.

When are you publishing your poetry book? I'm absolutely serious. I want one.

Have you sent any in? I know you send in the short stories - have you tried with the poetry?

[ September 02, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Kat-- Every once in a while, I consider getting my poetry published. But not very seriously.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason why?

...maybe you could do some sort of limited book run for your fans.

-------

Okay, this is edging into fan girl territory. But the truth is that the words only three Hatrackers have made it into the back of my planner, and you're in there TWICE. I think you should publish. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, i've finally decided to take the plunge and post this one....

I wrote it in 1988 or 1989 for a classmate. On a dare, I submitted it to my high school's literary magazine my senior year, and it got published... and then the subject responded!!! Maybe I'll post the response later.

To Chris

When I first met you,
I saw your outside and fled.
I never bothered to look at
The things that filled your head.
I acted like the populus,
Making fun of the gifted, the smart.
Never once did I stop to see that
We were one of mind and heart.
We separated and I forgot
About the innocent boy I knew
So by the time we met again,
The one I saw was the real you.
Now I know to look inside
Before judging a personality.
Unfortunately, I learned too late
To save friendship from fatality.

Goody
(cool! new page!)

[ September 04, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.