FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thread Killer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thread Killer
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the thread is too old is now gone, but there was a thread called "Thread killer." People were discussing why it seemed as though they seemed to kill threads fairly regularly.

The topic became a discussion of a couple things. One, does a particular topic have a certain life to it, and that thread will die after a time anyway? Two, is it possible that the person who does kill the thread isn't the person who posts last?

I went with the second. I think frequently the thread dies because either a concensus has been reached (yeah right), people get sick of arguing (again fairly uncommon), nobody has said anything new for a while (that's the real one), or something more important/interesting came up. Sometimes the thread is dead, and a few people try to breathe some life back into it, and maybe get 2-3 more posts, but it was all the life-support. Unplug the machine, and the thread just dies again.

(Regarding other thread) I don't know which threads you're referring to, Fossil (*After typing this, I realized by virtue of additional posts that you were referring to the LOTR Wenches thread, and possibly others). For a long time, I figured I held the honor, as being the person who killed the "I, Christ" thread by Thor, at post #513. Back then, I believe it was the longest thread there had ever been.

So since that original thread is gone, why not have the discussion again? What causes a thread to be killed? (And I'm not talking the UBB errors that occasionally cause post #800 to appear on page 7.) With a different group of people, maybe we'll come to different conclusions?

Regardless, I hope Fossil doesn't leave over it. I can give him better reasons. (See? When I use a smilie, you'd better take it seriously.)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fossil
Member # 2958

- posted      Profile for Fossil           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take it seriously
Posts: 995 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
It's terrible, but every time Mr. Moose signs his name "Pop" I involuntarily think "...sicle." Does that make me a bad person, or just shallow? (I never said I wasn't shallow.)

*posted just in case no one else responds and Fossil finds the sacrificial knife in his hands yet again* (btw, Fossil, I'm sorry if you are not a he)

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but if I sign it "Pap" I involuntarily think "smear."

<Reminding self that it's around the time that I mentioned in the "Slow Times on Hatrack..." thread, so I don't need to feel bad that the thread has only gotten two responses from others, one of which was baited.>

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

*shudder* Who would want to think something so disgusting?

If it is any further comfort, I think this thread falls under the 'everyone agrees and has nothing to add' category of small threads. I, of course, am an exception, as is clear by my two posts here.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, in my mind, Papa Moose and onanism are inextricably tied.

<dusts hands off and wonders away muttering>

"There, if that doesn't kill this thread, nothing will!"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Now in my mind the thought of onanism and Bob "dusting off" his hands are going to be inextricably tied. Thanks for the mental image Bob.

Besides, everyone knows when I kill a thread, the reason is because I am so right, there is really no way to refute it without looking like a fool.

::Tries desperately to sqeeze through the hatrack door and realizes her ego is much too big to fit::

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

OK, this has gone on long enough. I have to ask. What is it with onanism? I looked it up so I know what it means now but when did it become a running joke? What is the backstory here?
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an "Onanism" thread back about a month ago. It has become somewhat of a joke, but I can't remember where Papa came into the onanism joke.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Woah, you might have worded that differently, ludosti....
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
There is now coke all over my computer screen!!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL at myself!!! The wording was totally unintentional!!! I wish I was clever enough to have done that on purpose!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Lissande... there was a spate of threads regarding the ethics of masturbation awhile back and I think Papa Moose had the lowest threshold of tolerance for them.

It wasn't really much of a discussion, but Pap has since then been very thankful that other threads did not devolve into discussions of self-gratification.

And there you have it.

EDIT: I started writing this and then someone rang the doorbell, so I just finished it and didn't look to see if anyone had answered the question yet.

Ludosti, it SOOoooo har, um difficult to avoid double-entendres when discussing this topic.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited May 08, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Ah, the rumors that fly. I simply chose not to take part in the Onanism thread (for the most part), because it involved others sharing information I really didn't want to know. It's sort of humorous that I killed that thread.

After that, there were a number of thread topics that struck me as funny, when related to the topic of Onanism (another term for masturbation, possibly a misnomer, based on the Biblical character Onan I believe). Thread titles like "It's finally come -or- I'm getting older," "It's a big, big, big mess..." and "Frustration Relief Center." So I posted on these threads <Relieved this isn't another Onanism thread> for the sake of humor. That's all.

Sir Wolfe
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for Sir Wolfe           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 283 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fossil
Member # 2958

The Onanism thread was a little to weird for my tastes.
(btw,Lissande; I am a guy. What told you otherwise? )

Posts: 995 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Husband to wife as she enters:
"Honey, your doctor called, he said your Pabst Beer is normal."

[This message has been edited by LadyDove (edited May 08, 2002).]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pop... I believe the thread you're talking about was Yebor's Worry thread that turned into a big contest until he deleted it... The source of about three hundered of my posts too...
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there should be a stigmata about sexual topics. Its a huge part of people's lives, and its nothing to be ashamed of. I know this is a fairly conservative board though, so most people get all touchy when it comes to such things.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olorinate
Member # 1561

- posted      Profile for Olorinate   Email Olorinate         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually about to start this thread and ask why I keep killing threads. The only thing I can think of is that I express my opinion too strongly and no one in the community really knows me yet, so they don't want to bother responding/arguing. Maybe I'm just being too self-conscious, or maybe I just type so much that nobody wants to read what I wrote. Case in point: the Book Suggestions thread . . .

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/Forum2/HTML/007091.html

. . . if it's still around. I was really hoping someone would challenge me on some of the assertions I made, since they were over the top and smacking a little of know-it-all, but no one seemed to care, and the thread rapidly died.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't understand, how does one kill a thread?
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
With a wooden stake and hammer.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fossil
Member # 2958

One kills a thread by posting something and then the thread just fades out of existance.
and to think I almost left Hatrack over that.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'm not supposed to laugh, I'm at work!!!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, I actually got stigmata the last time I posted on a sexual topic. Most uncomfortable.

I have killed some very decent threads. There should be a thread killer's confessional thread.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

OK, I had caught on to about half of that. Thank you all for filling in the gaps. *inspects for double entendre* OK. All clear. (I had forgotten about Onan until so many people were talking about him that I looked the word up in the dictionary...rendering perspicacious the many previously obscure comments I'd seen...)

One stigma, two stigmata.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Wandering through old posts, and I say Lissande wins. This thread was indeed killed -- two and a half months later only counts as resurrection.
hadden
Member # 3745

- posted      Profile for hadden   Email hadden         Edit/Delete Post 
So what has to happen to kill this thread?
Posts: 111 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is: Has anyone ever killed a thread on purpose?

I did it once, but it was a small dying thread anyways so I'm not sure that I was really the cause (but my ego is sure ) What about you poeple?

Huh, what about it?

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
i think you gotta wait till everyone's read the thread and posted on it before it escapes the page.

What's even worse than being a thread killer is posting a topic and having no one respond. Or having it swing to a completely unrelated topic early on.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time it just gets pushed onto the second page and then there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and as a champion creater of threads that never get off the ground, I can say there is nothing more pathetic than to have the last post on your own thread and watch is slowly sink onto the second page.

Well, there is one thing more pathetic, and that is to add a post after your last post just to bump it back up to the top. (I speak for myself. I just feel pathetic when I do it.)

And I'm tempted all the time. I seldom get a "page two" on a thread I've started.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I know the feeling. It hurts, don't it?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Of All Fools
Member # 3841

- posted      Profile for Lord Of All Fools   Email Lord Of All Fools         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as much as having a stake pounded through your chest.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
So, am I to expect a controversial song by Ice T based on this thread?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fossil
Member # 2958

Don't go there.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I'll go back to a thread that I know I killed and just edit the last message to gloat over the corpse. No one ever notices, but it's just nice to know it's out there.

::sticks tongue out at Ralphie::

::hopes that this doesn't get resurrected::

[This message has been edited by jehovoid (edited July 24, 2002).]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fossil
Member # 2958

LOL!
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read your corpse gloating, Jeffrey. Why would I strip you of such a feat by posting after it? It would be most unseemly.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn it, I didn't think one could snort a poptart, but I just did.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
(Im doing this to try to lighten the serial killer thing. Sorry if I offend....)

There are three types of profiles for thread killers. A serial thread killer, a terrorist thread killer and a thrill thread killer.

Serial thread killers dont kill threads randomly.
Terrorist thread killers threaten to kill threads again and again until their demands are met.
Thrill thread killers get joy out of randomly killing threads.

What kind of thread killer are you?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
What about accidental killings?

We really do need a confesional thread *goes off to make one*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I killed the farscape thread.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
yeah, i was searching for the Random Thread (can anyone find it? i can't...) and stumbled upon this, which gave me many good laughs and screamed to me to be bumpadeebumped.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... I forgot about my random thread.

*goes off to find it*

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thread Killer
Member # 3464

- posted      Profile for Thread Killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I didn't post on this thread.

*kills thread*

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Your idle threats do not a killed thread make!! *wields scary weapon menacingly*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I always figure that my threads die because they weren't interesting enough for people to write about. I was pretty tickled a couple weeks ago when I had three threads staying on the first page and I wasn't bumping them. None of them had anything to do topically with any of the others either. I thought the college football thread was dead and someone else bumped it. Anyway I just figured thread death was part of the Hatrack life cycle.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was pretty tickled a couple weeks ago when I had three threads staying on the first page and I wasn't bumping them.

I like to reply to posters, regardless of whether they are posting on my thread or not. So I'm probably considered a self-thread bumper. How do you participate and reply without bumping?

I do try to have the self-control and manners to let a thread die...because it's ready and it's time has come.

BannaOj...as a wise poster once told me...

quote:
Hatrack can be a sluggish and unpredictable creature; you should never take its unresponsiveness as a measure for the quality of your posts!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to find out who killed the "Instant Classic" thread.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.