FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Folding@Home (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Folding@Home
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'll start alternating between this one and my other one...

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

- posted      Profile for somedeadguy   Email somedeadguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* We've had 15-16 Active processors this week. That's awesome, but I'd love to see more jatraquero's in on this. (besides, we need more competition in de-throning Leto.)
Posts: 738 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so far for me, 7 WUs, but my computer is frequently off.

The more I think about this idea, the more it appeals to me. Think of all the research projects and experiments out there that require huge ammounts of computing that is otherwise unavailable. I would like to see distributed computing become a standard for anyone who has a broadband connection. I only hope it doesn't become too commercial, like the new version of Kazaa (I think), that sells your processing power to pharmaceutical companies.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I finally passed BYu. Next is somedeadguy. *evil grin*
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
i've been ordered to shut down my computer when inactive... that only gives me 9 hours of up time a day...just wait till i go off to college....mwahahahaa!!!
:: grumbles ::

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

- posted      Profile for somedeadguy   Email somedeadguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks stats* uh-oh, I'm only up from ludosti by 1 point! I had to go and take down my second system for a week. Ah well, I'll get a good ways ahead of you, just wait. (ok, empty threat, just allow me my disillusions.)
Posts: 738 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

No one has noticed that I've had my main account frozen for over a week?

I think I may just aim for #1 and #2 spots...

Mu hu hu ha ha ha ha...

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

d'oh, Ludosti just passed me. There goes my dreams of folding domination. *bows down to the top 3*
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I've entered the fray with my first system...I'll have the laptop and second system up by this weekend if not sooner. Ph34r.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

My hubby added two more computers to my consortium yesterday - his computer and the file server at home. I will rule the folding world! Muahahaha!!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

You cannot defeat me.
ludosti
Member # 1772

Probably not, but reality always was for those lacking imagination.

[silly verb tenses]

[This message has been edited by ludosti (edited October 10, 2002).]

Leto II
Member # 2659

No, no, no! You're supposed to at least feign confidence. Psyche me out, lusti!

<-- Leto's "psyche-out" face

somedeadguy
Member # 3759

*bump* we're up to 31 active processors. That's awesome! Keep up the good work everyone!
ludosti
Member # 1772

It looks like I'll be catching Black_Fox in a few more days.... Watch out Leto! Here I come! [/psyche out]

I think it's mad kewl that we've got 30-something active processors.

somedeadguy
Member # 3759

It should be easy for you to catch up to Leto Ludosti. He hasn't turned in any work units in over a week. I think Letos' playing nice and making it easy on you
purplycow
Member # 3799

- posted      Profile for purplycow   Email purplycow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I just downloaded the screensaver version (and yep I'm on the Hatrack team!).
One question - does it only process when my PC is idle (i.e. screensaver on), or all the time?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

it uses any and all spare CPU time you have, so it operates all the time, so say...you're running...oh let's say photoshop and it's using 40% of your CPU, FaCore (the folding@home program) will use the remaining 60%, if photoshop is using 100%, it won't use anything until photoshop gives up some processing time.

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplycow
Member # 3799

- posted      Profile for purplycow   Email purplycow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh .... thanks!
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Check out GreNME2's work.

If I see any "threats", I'll just consolidate CPU power again.

I cannot be defeated. [psychout] [/psychout]

Crazy Eddie
Member # 4208

- posted      Profile for Crazy Eddie   Email Crazy Eddie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we just broke 1000 WUs for the team today - the 253 teams above us had better watch their backs!

Regards,
Crazy Eddie

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm climbing the ranks...you guys will be toast in a few months. Just accept it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Psst... Tick... ya gotta psyche out, man.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I've got my wife talked into letting me (in the future sometime) setting up another system, possibly a multimedia PC to hook to the TV...More processors! HAHAHA
TheTick
Member # 2883

Pssst, Leto, don't let Black Fox pass you. Wait, he just did!
ludosti
Member # 1772

See Leto, you're not so tough! [cackle]"I'll get you my pretty! And your little dog too!"[/cackle]
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

In newsweek they had an article about distributed computing and folding@home. I thought some people who are participating in this may be interested in reading the article. It can be found here

Right now we have had 30 active processors this week, that is awesome. We could always use more processors though...

Leto II
Member # 2659

Please notice that I had to take my machine off that name for a month to be caught up to and barely passed. I'll be taking the lead again within a week or so, and I won't be allowing such an affront any more.

[psycheout] [/psycheout]

Leto II
Member # 2659

Also notice that I'm still forty work units above even the closest competitor...

[psycheout] [/psycheout]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Oh look, I just passed you John, and I'll pass Paul sometime this morning too.

You may be ahead by work units, but some of us have bigger units than others.

[This message has been edited by ludosti (edited October 21, 2002).]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Come and get me!!
Leto II
Member # 2659

I think it's wonderful that I can have so many more work units, but everyone is getting more points per work unit than I am. Even funnier because I'm not running the most CPUs, either (just the fastest folding ones).

I'll get you, my Lusti... and yer little Paul, too... [psycheout] [/psycheout]

Crazy Eddie
Member # 4208

- posted      Profile for Crazy Eddie   Email Crazy Eddie         Edit/Delete Post 
There are only 231 teams above us now - 22 teams down in six days!

And, on a personal note. I have finally secured a place above the 50th percentile of users. Beware, 60th percentile! [psycheout] [/psycheout]

Regards,
Crazy Eddie

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Anyone else notice that the results haven't changed for a while? I know I've submitted at least a half dozen WU's, but they haven't shown up. Strange.
Leto II
Member # 2659

I'm still incensed that even though I'm putting out more WUs, that I can't get points like some others...
TheTick
Member # 2883

Are you getting any WU's from projects 180-183? Those seem to be the largest (ie, worth the most).
Leto II
Member # 2659

I don't think so. At least, not the two I have at my desk...
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

i've been called back to the OLANA team....be back in half a month...

Satyagraha

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so in on this . It doesn't have my name up there for team Hatrack yet, but I've regesitered under team Hatrack, so it will be.

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Do you have to be connected to the internet for this program to run? My family is very fond of pulling out my LAN cable when I'm not around (its a long story, but its true, whenever I leave they un plug me fromt the net! :eek .

Also, I did register for Hatrack, but it doesn't show me their, any reason why?

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

it won't show you until you finish a WU, and it only connects when it sends and recieves the information, otherwise, it's completley autonomous, you can set it so that it pauses and waits until you let it log onto the F@H server.

Satyagraha

TheTick
Member # 2883

Hey, it finally updated...time to take out Feyd...Grenme2 is next after that.
Leto II
Member # 2659

Yep... definitely need to concentrate on just the one name...
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm no longer last! HA-HA-HA!

Hobbes

Leto II
Member # 2659

Ludosti- you have five computers for just your name? No wonder I can't catch up in points!

Makes me feel better, though, about being taken down to second place.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Heh...I really only have two (desktop system gets counted as two, as both the linux and Windows partition has returned results).
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Its on now, I'm going to start putting all the computers around here on folding at home, starting with my room mate.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Uh huh... it takes at least five computers to beat my measly two.

Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
well right now its only my computer.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

*bump*
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.