FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Folding@Home (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Folding@Home
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Post 100!

I'm almost to a single digit rank...Bernard is the next target.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Final Bump from Hobbes *
*BUMP!*

I'm moving up on the list (16, exactly half way up!). Ludosti, what type of computer do you have? Your total is ridiculous!

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

- posted      Profile for somedeadguy   Email somedeadguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes... Look at her stats, she has 5 computers going at once...
Posts: 738 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Grrrrr!

Hobbes

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes five to beat my two...

<--- still the best folder, even though he doesn't have a cluster like Lusti.

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I've kept my (1GHz Laptop) runing 24 hours a day since I signed up, minus, at most, 3 hours. I'm still far far far behind, and not catching up either!

Hobbes

somedeadguy
Member # 3759

- posted      Profile for somedeadguy   Email somedeadguy         Edit/Delete Post 
aw crap, someone else just passed me up. They have 5 processors going though, so it's not like I stood a chance anyway.

While I am bumping this thread, allow me to extend the invitation to every other jatraquero who hasn't joined us. Please, visit the site Bernard linked to at the top of this thread and join a good cause. (I want to emphasize this invitation to people who have less then 5 processors. )

Posts: 738 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be 6 under ludosti's name, but my laptop got really unstable (and it came due for it's regular tinkering).

I just wish I could get my hands on my company's computers for this. (drools at the thought of all the thousands of computers that should be used for gaming and such).

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto
Member # 3400

- posted      Profile for Leto           Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm still revelling in the fact that it takes five computers to beat my two and sometimes (soon always) three CPUs.
Posts: 149 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Eh, i'm sure that she would have passed your w/o my two computers here at home (a 1Ghz tbird and 950 duron). it wouldn't have been as fast, but it would have happened eventually.
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

You think.

I can assure you she wouldn't have.

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

As much as i'd like to admit that i do think this early in the morning (i'm getting ready for work), i know that she would have passed you (i counted the WU's that my 2 boxes have cranked out, and she would have just passed you this week).
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

The scoring isn't based off of pure # of WU's, as Leto can attest to. They also base it on how long it takes you to process the WU among other such factors about the WU you worked on.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
prepare to get p00n3d, XP 2000+ baby, XP 2000+

My room computes more than your room. :P
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

I've already got an XP 2000+ in the competition along with an AMD Duron 800. Go ahead though, bring on the pain Bernard.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

:-D

Athlon 1.4ghz x2 w/ total 2.8mb PC-133
Athlon XP 2000+ w/ 512mb PC-2700

I think we know who's gonna win already

psych psych

did I mention I'm gonna o/c the 2000+? I think I can get a good .2ghz out of it at least

Satyagraha

[This message has been edited by BYuCnslr (edited November 23, 2002).]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somedeadguy
Member # 3759

Like I said, bring on the pain!! [psych] [/psych]
Crazy Eddie
Member # 4208

- posted      Profile for Crazy Eddie   Email Crazy Eddie         Edit/Delete Post 
Two questions:

1. Would it be possible to give our team the Hatrack banner as a logo? I imagine that whoever started the team would have to upload the graphic (and get permission from our gracious hosts).

2. Has anyone else noticed that we keep steadily moving up in the team rankings? We were in the 200s a while back, and we are at 152 now. If this keeps up (read: if more people install Folding@home!) we may make the top 100 in a few more months.

Regards,
Crazy Eddie

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

i've thought about putting the logo up, but the problem is, the thing you see up top...consists of two parts, not one, which makes it hard, i can either get the picture (i'd just put a direct link to it, in which bypasses any laws that I know of, because we're not copying the art and putting it up somewhere else)

another problem is i can't seem to figure out my password...
Satyagraha

[This message has been edited by BYuCnslr (edited November 25, 2002).]

Crazy Eddie
Member # 4208

- posted      Profile for Crazy Eddie   Email Crazy Eddie         Edit/Delete Post 
On the image side, the banner on the Hatrack home page is one piece (excepting the links, of course) and could be added with a simple link - if our hosts will permit a direct link to an image on the site.

The password, however, could pose a problem.

Regards,
Crazy Eddie

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Let's see, the roster of computers here looks like this:

2 1Ghz Tbirds, an 850 Duron, a XP2100+, and rounding it out is a P3 450 (only used during during the work week)

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish more people would get involved in this - not only is is fun (watching the scores is fun), but you actually are accomplishing something useful. Besides - I want to see someone try to catch me and my 5 lovelies.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Who is Toph*, out of curiosity? They've been kickin' butt with just two cpu's.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to tell you that when I saw this heading I figured someone was doing wash and folding laundry.... I planned on commiserating.... :-)
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Skip the laundry folding - protein folding is so much easier.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

soon...

Leto II
Member # 2659

Prepare for my comeback.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

DeepThought is almost fully operational mwahahaha
while underclocked for three days, he did six work units in a total of about 20 hours of up time, now that he is running at normal speed you shall fear him, especially because he shall be connected to a t1 line for 5 hours a day, I may put him through his paces and overclock, you must fear him

Satyagraha

slacker
Member # 2559

Um, what does having him connected to a T1 have to do w/folding at home? You'd only need it to download and transmit the data from your computer.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

i'll be on all the time, while at home, it has to wait for me to dial up before it can send all the info, as well as the longer up-time, DeepThought strikes fear into you, that he does.
Satyagraha

slacker
Member # 2559

Hmm.. While I think it would be fun to have a T1, I think I'll stay with my cable modem for the time being. At least my connection is always on

Speaking of overclocking, let me know how high you can get your processor to go.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Bump

Hobbes

TheTick
Member # 2883

Hey, I just checked our score today...Let's get up in the top 100 guys!
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined and I've already passed half of you up! Come on!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys see the tiny article in Discover this month about the progress made thus far? It was cool to read it and think I was a part of it!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump! More of us should be doing this!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Bump

Hobbes

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving up in the world... Slowly but surely.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Heh, back on top again.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Come on folks! Let's get into the top 100!
Hobbes
Member # 433

We're falling in team ranking! [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ May 21, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

*bump*
slacker
Member # 2559

....must...get...more...processors...

new comp count:

2 XP 2200+
1 900 Mhz Duron
2 1Ghz T-birds
1 XP 2000+
1 PIII450

TheTick
Member # 2883

More bumpage.

I'd also like to point out this stats page.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still chugging away, but before this thread even started here way back when I had already promised all of my work units to Team Egg Roll... we're closing in on the top ten [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

ARS?? Before Hatrack, I helped the [H] up to the top over Ars. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[H]?!? Sacrelige! [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I've added my new computer to the workers. Well actually I added it right when I got it, but I did so under the same name as I was already using and now I've changed it so I can keep track of which computer does what. Is it sad that I knew our team id and didn't need to look it up when I started this computer on it?

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 15, 2003, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

What's really sad is that before the edit I had used "new" instead of "knew". I though I had stopped doing that in third grade. [Roll Eyes]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Come onnnnn!!! We're losing our rank!

Hobbes [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.