FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting it terribly, terribly wrong, or difficulties writing the other gender (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Getting it terribly, terribly wrong, or difficulties writing the other gender
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.My.Eru.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, once you try to stem the tears, it's "Dingle Belle, Dingle Belle, Dingle Belle Rock..."
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Great. Thanks y'all.

Now, dingle will be a new word in the hatrack lexicon and you've made sure that it will always be linked to MY name.

Wonderful.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What are friends for, right? *flees*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

- posted      Profile for Fernando Martinez   Email Fernando Martinez         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, to answer the question at hand, after 4 years in college getting an english degree I have run into dozens of experiences where authors shattered their own reality. Second, if you're looking for, in my opinion, believable female characters written by a male Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series is a good place to go. Third, no one should ever, and I mean ever grab their dingle and hold on real tight...it can cause lots of damage ...and one last thing...no author should ever use a word like dingle..i don't care what the context it shatters the reality all on its own.

[This message has been edited by Fernando Martinez (edited February 04, 2003).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you love it!

It gives you that fresh, dingling feeling!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Break for the regularly scheduled parental speech (ha ha)

Children.

All body parts have appropriate names and just as we would call an eye and eye and a tooth a tooth, so should we call a penis a penis.

Besides - it's more alliterative -

pulling penises, a profound proposition full of poppycock . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

*channels a grade-schooler, laughs at "poppycock" in a dingle thread*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I still prefer dingle.
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
fresh, dingling feeling

There's a mind picture for you.

mackillian
Member # 586

My fiance, after I relayed this thread to him, informed me, "Hun, I love you, but if you ever use that word at an inappropriate moment I promise you it will damage my sexual psyche forever."
mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, I just told Belle...

To the tune of the Dradel song...

Dingle dingle dingle
I hold you every day
Dingle dingle dingle
You hold my tears away

Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

- posted      Profile for Fernando Martinez   Email Fernando Martinez         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you are getting mildly disturbing here.....
Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

heh. Try being on AIM with her right now
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

I am, and believe me....it gets worse
Leonide
Member # 4157

*loves the Dingle song*

Belle
Member # 2314

well, so you are on AIM.

Sorry - took me a minute to connect the username. I think all the dingle-talk must have warped my brain.

Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

's ok belle...it's got me kind of warped as well
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL!! Yall are all such sick people! I love Hatcrack!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear...there are so many things I'm never going to be able to think about without laughing from now on!
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

And as this thread just continues to get dirtier and dirtier the number of posts hits 69...kind of amusing...or at least ironic to some degree
Leonide
Member # 4157

Oh, Icarus, have you ever had a thread that went THIS much off-topic?

[This message has been edited by Leonide (edited February 04, 2003).]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack!!!
Now I have "What a bright time, it's the right time, to rock the night away, Dingle Belle time, is a swell time..."

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

Ah...warping of the mind through song...nothing like it...Good Job Mack!

[This message has been edited by Fernando Martinez (edited February 05, 2003).]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First off, to answer the question at hand, after 4 years in college getting an english degree I have run into dozens of experiences where authors shattered their own reality.

Hmm...in four years of college getting a literature degree plus two years of grad school getting a masters in lit, I've never seen anything quite this bad.

I did see lots of famous writers who didn't seem able to write either gender convincingly, but that's a different story...

quote:
Oh, Icarus, have you ever had a thread that went THIS much off-topic?

Nope. But then, I've never had a thread reach 2 pages in 2½ hours either. Just goes to show the power of fluff.

ROFLMAO about the dingle song!

Dingles: Once you pop, you can't stop!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*laments her dingle that never was*
-Leo

dingle envy?

Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

maybe some.

not yours.

Icarus
Member # 3162

dinglehopper
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
Oof. In the interests of propriety and good taste, I concede the point. Well played.
Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I just took a nap and missed this entire thread.

I'm not having much trouble writing from a woman's perspective at the moment. I'm working on a project from the female POV (it's called 101 Ways to Find a Great Guy in NYC), and I've only been called out once for writing too manly.

And not once have I suggested "sliding a couple fingers into your winkie in case of nervousness".

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

LOL!

Bakadame
Member # 4434

- posted      Profile for Bakadame   Email Bakadame         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the best way to write women is to take a man and remove all sensibility and common sense.

I am not anti feminist
I just like making people think

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
sliding a couple fingers into your winkie in case of nervousness".

for some reason this disturbs me more than any dingle talk

Frisco!! *waves fist threateningly*

Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
I heard the best way to write women is to take a man and remove all sensibility and common sense.

According to Melvin Udall in As Good As It Gets...

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?

Melvin: I think of a man, and then I take away reason, and accountability.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm..... http://www.dingle-insight.com/
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread had me laughing. I don't laugh very easily. I love the songs, if only we could record them.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
" . . . in the dingle-dangle mornin' I'll come followin' you . . "
Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

Sorry, what song is that?
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

"Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man"

It's a classic.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

thanks
asQmh
Member # 4590

No problem. It's a great song.

I'm 23 and know more about "oldies" than I do about whatever my age group's supposed to be listening to these days. . .

Q., an old lady in deceptively young skin.

esl
Member # 3143

I might have heard it before. I like 'classic rock', meaning music from the sixties and seventies I guess. I'm eighteen. I'm pretty sure I got it from my parents though; they usually listen to that type of music.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, unless that story was chronicling one man's journey into the S&M scene, I can't think of a single good reason for the dingle comment(s). Did the author use these boyhood experiences as an explanation for ANYTHING????

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Bob, the entire story centered around a boy; those passages were not flashbacks. And I also can't think of why they were necessary. She could just as well have said, "I bit my lower lip to keep from crying," and readers of both genders could have identified.

Fernando, I agree that Jordan's female characters are one of his strengths, but I guess only a female could say if they were "realistic" or not. I say they're a strength because they are dynamic and interesting, and not walking stereotypes. And, unlike some other famous works, the Wheel of Time series at least has some significant female characters.

Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
::scours eyes out with hot poker after reading this thread::
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

The only thing i could think of was that possibly crying was not an accepted thing in this boy's world? In the stereotypical (notice i said STEREOTYPICAL) "man" world, i would imagine crying to be a no-no. The other thing I was thinking which would probably explain -- or at least shed some light on the dingle pulling, is that often times when someone's in pain they can ease it by transferring their attentions to something else. The dingle, in this case. Misdirection, is it called? Try to equate the boy "losing an arm" to "wanting to cry" and i think you'll see where i'm going with this.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I see where you're going, and in fact, crying is completely unacceptable in the society in this story, but pulling my dingle would only make me more inclined to cry!

The fact that the grown men are all lousy fathers and abusive jerks is another point worth discussing, but I could stomach that more easily, particularly since the women are also indicted, by their failure to save their sons along with their daughters. According to the story, children of both genders stayed home with their mothers while the men worked; the mothers took all the girls but left the boys behind.

So I just saw this as an issue with this particular culturally homogenous group of colonists, and attempted to not read it as an indictment of males in general. If I wanted to, though, I could probably work up some indignation over it...

Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
but pulling my dingle would only make me more inclined to cry!

well, maybe he wasn't pulling it in that way...

Icarus
Member # 3162

Icarus
Member # 3162

OK, I hadn't thought about that. But it doesn't explain the other two quotes, so I ain't a-buying.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.