FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where Did You Get Your Name? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Where Did You Get Your Name?
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's boring. Just my God given name. I Figured St. Alia of the Knife would get a little cumbersome after a while so I just went "come as you are" as it were.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I never tell anyone the real reason.

It could mean Kin of Henry A Vanderbilt ANONymous.
It may be the ancient Norse God of Beef & Potatoes.
It could be the alphabetized coding for the number 1181221141514, which is the number you'd have to dial to talk to Tiago de la Vega of Bolivia.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

Okay, in light of the fact that nobody can spell my name correctly , it has become knowledge to me that any mystery surrounding it is irrelevant. Here's the truth:

My name is Shon. It is pronounced like Shawn. And I'll be damned if there isn't a human on planet Earth who can pronounce it when they read it or doesn't have a comment about its "uniqueness." People, it's one of the most common names in the English speaking culture, and it happens to have the largest variety of spellings. So I sit around for extended periods of time and create obscure names that have absolutely no meaning. I should put together a catalog of made up crap. It would be impressive to nerdy types.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I got unlazy:

One evening in 9th grade, my family and I were watching the Zeferelli version of Hamlet (with Mel Gibson and Helena Bonham Carter). I was just sort of watching, like “yeah, it’s Shakespeare, it’s cool, it’s the funniest tragedy around” (my friend swears that Hamlet is a comedy that just happens to include a lot of death, and I almost completely agree). But when Ophelia’s mad scene came around, I just found it chilling and sad. And I cried at her death. So then my brothers started laughing at me and told me I was crazier than Ophelia (They always seem to say I’m crazier than some really weird character from something or other; I believe that before this incident I was “crazier than Ann” from a rather strange book called Hexwood). Anyway, I somehow my friends found out (I probably told them, but I don’t really remember), and some of them started calling me Lindsay Ophelia. So when my family finally got an internet connection the next year, Ophelia was the obvious pseudonym for me to choose whenever I put my name on anything in the web. And until relatively recently, that has been the only name, besides my own, that I have ever posted anything anywhere as.

I didn't "get burned by some guy" or "just like the way it sounded," as people have asked.

[This message has been edited by Ophelia (edited February 06, 2003).]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought you just liked to swim.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeker
Member # 4608

- posted      Profile for TheSeeker   Email TheSeeker         Edit/Delete Post 
My name came from the series The Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I love those books and "TheSeeker" is my name for many things.

TheSeeker

Posts: 58 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia, some of the characters in William Sander's short story Undiscovered" agree with you about Hamlet.

That's not a link to the story itself, by the way--just the bibliography page on Sander's website.

Oh, and as I've said in previous iterations of this thread, Noemon is ancient Greek name. Means "Thoughtful". Noemon is also a minor character in The Odyssey, but that isn't why I chose it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Alia of the Knife
Member # 3578

- posted      Profile for St. Alia of the Knife           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone was going to try and use my name?

Get your own name, dawnmaria. I've been here way longer than you.

*fondles handle of knife*

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
altaris
Member # 4310

- posted      Profile for altaris   Email altaris         Edit/Delete Post 
It comes from the name of a video game character I used to like, quite some time ago. He was called artanis ; but the name was often already taken in my chats and forums ; so I switched two letters, and kept it this way since then.
what an interesting story, huh ?

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Saint Godric was a cool guy. Frederick Buechner won a pulitzer prize for his historical novel Godric that I read. Everything snowballed from there...
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arichan
Member # 4390

- posted      Profile for arichan   Email arichan         Edit/Delete Post 
My real name is Allyson. I lived in Japan for quite a while. "Allyson" is pronounced "ari-san" in Japanese. "San" is the Japanese honorific, like Mr./Mrs./Miss. My Japanese friends, and co-workers who thought I was especially cute, started calling me "ari-chan." "Chan" is the Japanese affectionate diminutive. I kind of like it, so I use it as my screen name.
Posts: 137 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
del
Member # 4618

- posted      Profile for del           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked short, simple names.

I'd finally managed to get myself to read Sandman. Del(erium) just happened to be the character I liked the most. I tend to be odd quite often, I just thought that in at least some ways, I was pretty similar to her.

... Yep.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strokeman
Member # 4625

- posted      Profile for Strokeman   Email Strokeman         Edit/Delete Post 
I row Stroke seat on my school's crew team, so naturally I'm titled as Strokeman.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I put this off as long as I could I suppose.

As is often guessed, the Feyd part is from DUNE, the same as several other people who have posted in this thread.

While the Baron part is as well, it's not really meant to be. Way back in HS, everyone in our German class was required to pick a name to go by. My friends and I all picked German titles of nobility (Baron, Herrscher, koenig, and so on). So that has stuck with me for... wow, nearly a decade.

Feyd

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I just made mine up.
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

He thought he was creative by stealing it from the dedication page of Ender's Game. You're so unoriginal. Look at Locke and Alai. And guys like Papa Moose? He just got his from the back of Shadow Puppets.
hillarygayle
Member # 4624

- posted      Profile for hillarygayle   Email hillarygayle         Edit/Delete Post 
Man am I boring. My first name is Hillary, and my middle name is Gayle.

Hillary Gayle
Hoping that asQmh replies to this thread...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd how quickly an image, possibly totally unwarranted, can come along with someones username. As I told Khavanon before, everytime I see that name, I think Saint Louis Blues Defensemen with a penchant for scoring via the power play (Alexander Khavanov plays for Saint Louis), its just an odd image, that I'm unable to shake, I wonder if anyone else gets bizarre images like that based on nicks (or content for that matter).

As for me, gray wolf is a nick someone gave for me based on how quickly I'd gone prematurely gray in the past few years, and I think it probably has a little something to do with my personality (I changed the spelling and the spacing too). I posted on this site in mid-2001 as Tom Hagen, but couldn't track down my old pass word for that user name (famous character played by Robert Duvall in The Godfather, and The Godfather Part II).

[This message has been edited by graywolfe (edited February 08, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by graywolfe (edited February 08, 2003).]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, I would, but I thought I'd already explained my weirdo parents. . .

^_^

asQmh
Anna Susan Quiara Maureen Hazlewood
Q. (The one I go by)

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
My screen name comes from the summer that I signed on to hatrack...it was my Clive Staples summer and I was deeply moved, touched, influenced and otherwise effected by the Chronicles of Narnia. I was 21 and it was the first time I had read them, can you believe it?! I proceeded to read everything else by C.S. Lewis and loved it all.

PS Quiara is probably the coolest name I have ever heard in my LIFE! You're lucky to have those weird parents.

[This message has been edited by Narnia (edited February 08, 2003).]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized I killed the other name thread. Oops.

Here's a copypaste version of my oh-so-interesting story:

I was a regular at Lycos Games before it disappeared. I had many many names there. This was my favorite of the names, so I have carried it over into many things: my website, emails, sns, Hatrack, PWeb.... Luckily its something that is not ever taken (I was so mad when I realized my main handle at Lycos - DragonEyz - was taken by many in other places).

Basically, I love fire. I love replacing my i's with y's, I love Merlin, I love magic, and I love the Welsh. Put it all together, you get me.

-KRiS

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids were watching Peter Pan in the other room just as one of the lost boys (I think) says "Its a Wendybird!" and voila I became Wendybird.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to another forum long before and they said Maethoriell meant Warrior lady but now I doubt it..now It's just a cool Elven-like name that I answer to when I'm on the net..I love hte act of medieval fightin and any kind of hystorical heros but not now..it's too gruesome..hehe..It also comes in handy when I need a pseudonym for myself in stories..
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's just a boring old psuedonym from college. I used it for screen-writing, producing plays, and graphic art. My sister came up with Sasha Slaine, and we were working on the same project, thus I chose Erik. I was really into Moorcock at the time, and it kind of has that flavor.

I just wanted to bump this, because it shouldn't be consigned to the doldrums.

And I would like to here more interesting stories than mine.

Neat hobbit name, Tony. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dannyXcore
Member # 5332

- posted      Profile for dannyXcore   Email dannyXcore         Edit/Delete Post 
my name.....with a big X after it....and then the word core after that. <3
Posts: 146 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey whatever happened to Cassandra? Haven't seen her around in quite some time.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet is derived from a previous name, BreadPuppet, which is based off of a theatrical group that I really enjoy called Bread and Puppet. The only reason I migrated to WheatPuppet is because I forgot the password to one of my BreadPuppet accounts, and deciding I'd cut my losses, decided I changed my username universally.

I'm also known as "Wheats" in certain places. I try to get it as a login name for Unix/Linux machines in the spirit of *nix typing laziness (e.g. "copy" reduced to "cp") and WheatPuppet takes a lot longer to type.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think arichan has the coolest nick story, though I don't think I've seen arichan in a long time.

Erik - That's Antonio to you, bucko.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equality 7-2521
Member # 5586

- posted      Profile for Equality 7-2521   Email Equality 7-2521         Edit/Delete Post 
Ayn Rand worte one of my favorite books, Anthem. Equality 7-2521 is the protagonist. I highly recommend it.

"It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone."

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is a relativly new, and sparsely used nickname. My name is Amanda and freshman year of college one of my good friends started calling me Amander. Then I made the mistake of telling him about a license plate border thingy I saw that said "Amanda Demanda" and the name Damander was born. It became a term of endearment with him and two other friends, and I was kinda missing them when I made my screen name....

[ August 27, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Damander ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My friends wrote a Star Wars parody with all the characters based on people from school. My name is Randy and my character was Ran-Solo. I have used solo for many things since then and ransolo as well.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simply my name. Terribly common in my circles (I was one of four Rivka's in HS), fairly uncommon on the net. It's the Hebrew for Rebecca.

I'm rivka on at least five forums (only two where I post often).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharine is the name of my secret identity.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

One evening in 9th grade, my family and I were watching the Zeferelli version of Hamlet (with Mel Gibson and Helena Bonham Carter).

Actually, the one starring Gibson and Carter was also directed by Gibson. Zeferelli's version was filmed many years before that.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
My real name is Orson Scott Card, but I pretend to be Jeffrey Getzin so that people will think I'm cool.

Jeff ... um, I mean Orson

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine from blacwolve. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is Russian for "hedgehog."

[ August 28, 2003, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
From my favourite song. [Smile]
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders who TT&T's song is by*

Mine comes from the comic book Zot! by Scott McCloud. Zot! sort of personifies the innate hope, friendliness, and unselfishness I wish I had, so I use it a lot on the 'net. (Zot!'s friends call him Zotto!)

Woot. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
From a book by Robin Hobb. He was an old assassin.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko- Long, boring, and pointless story. But I'll tell it!!!

I was long known as Dragon Girl, because of my wacko AOL ID, which I chose when I was 13 and in love with Dragons... Dork. Anyway, not too long later, I got interested in anime, and by proxy Japanese. So I decided to make my name all Japanese-y.

I took Ryuu, which I knew meant Dragon, Misspelled it to Ryu, and added -ko, which I assumed meant girl, being as it was the suffix that meant a girl's name. (Ko actually means child...) The real Japanese would be Ryuu no onna no ko...

Long story short, the Japanese like to shorten stuff, so I might have even been right. But I found out Ryuko meant style, and I guess I just kept it. (such a dork)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's a diminutive form of my first name - Anarchy.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Zotto! - The song is Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd. You should listen to it sometime. Best. Song. Ever. [Big Grin]

"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone, my senses reeled
A fatal attraction holding me fast,
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I. ..."

BTW, you don't have hope, friendliness and unselfishness? Dude, you sure had me fooled! [Wink]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
'Twinky' is what Moe (the bully) calls Calvin in Calvin and Hobbes.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI Teleport- an attack used by Ness in the old SNES RPG, EarthBound.

Paula- Ness' best friend (possibly love interest....?)

Twoson- Where Paula comes from, also a bad spelling of where I am currently living.

Not very exciting. By the way, my real name is Maureen. Also not very exciting, plus no one can spell it. (But I like it.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I started using the internet regularly when I started law school at the University of Utah.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually not from the move Harvey. Just like it turns out Wheat puppet isn't a vegan fan of the band Meat Puppets.

I got a halloween card once that said"Here's pooka the cat with eyes of green to wish you happy halloween". Later I named a cat pooka. Then when I'd been on Hatrack for a while as "badhousewife" there was a race for member name 5000 and "pooka" just sort of raced to the fore of my consciousness. I've had a lot of nicknames IRL but I didn't want to use something someone would actually recognize me by.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a reference to some exercises that Daniel-san had to do in "The Karate Kid Goes to Band Camp."

Sax on, sax off, sax on, sax off...

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's just a rickety old WWI airplane known for being tricky on take offs and landings, but maneuverale once in flight. It's rotary engine made it tilt hard to the right, but a pilot could slew it hard to the left to make it fly relatively straight down the middle. Sums up my political stance most times.

It was also Snoopy's plane. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Jeff?
What are you talking about?

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.