FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where Did You Get Your Name? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Where Did You Get Your Name?
Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
True that.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school we had senior shirt groups. You'd get together with your group of best friends and design t-shirts. you'd have a group name on the front(ours was beatnix) a bunch of inside jokes and such all over, and we then all had a large letter on the back (on the last day of school we lined up on the balcony and spelled out something inappropriate for this forum [Evil Laugh] )

So anyways Beatnix (which we chose because of it representing original, unique and free thinking spirits) is in honor of that group of friends and the 19 was my number in football and the number of the great Bernie Kosar. I've used this as a username, or a variation, since highschool.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my name from the main character of the Saber Marionette J series. At the time, it was my favorite series and I figured, "What the heck." Now, my favorite series is Trigun, and all my other message board IDs = Vash. I haven't switched here because I'm too used to it.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Vana and Lime" sounds better than "Vana and Vash"

Wasn't Vash the intergalactic Indiana Jones type that Picard had a thing for at one point in TNG?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I already said on the insult thread and the introduction thread on the OSC forum, but I call myself "Da_Goat" because I've had hair growing from my neck since I was two or three, and, at about 5th grade, before I started shaving, the hair grew long enough that it looked like the hair on a goat. Somebody said "Who's da goat?" and it just kind of stuck, even though it never gets that long anymore since I shave.

And underscores are awesome.

[ November 06, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Bob and I'm a lawyer.

Or something like that.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Vana and Lime" actually sounds like a top-shelf drink order.

And Khav suggested that I got this name from the back of Shadow Puppets, which of course is false. It's from The Crystal City.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this name because I was looking at my iTunes playlist while trying to come up with a name. My eyes landed on "Rappin' Ronnie Reagan" on Go Simpsonic With The Simpsons and voila. It's from "Homer Loves Flanders."
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where I got mine.... [Smile]

--Nick [Wave]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed that the chick Picard had the thing for spelled her name Vache, which is even funnier, since he's French...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I named myself after the exchange particle of the newly discovered Oaxaca force, which is believed to hold the key to formulating a grand unified field theory. The Oaxaca force is seventy five orders of magnitude more powerful than the strong force.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is french for ladybug- When I lived in switzerland, the first bug word I learned was coccinelle and I always thought it was such a pretty name for a bug... plus it's usually not taken as a username!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same name of a Smashing Pumpkins song. I first heard it at the age of 14 and loved it, plus the name "Starla" fit many of my likes: star gazing, the shape, other things I can't remember (I dunno---I had a thread just like this on GreNME about a month ago).

I used the name as a pen name (signed all short stories and poems with it) and my teenage alter-ego, and then later my screen name and aol and yahoo address.

I just really like it and I think it suits me. [Smile]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Oh, yeah---plus an alternative meaning to my real name is "star."

just had to add that little bit [Big Grin]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Black Mage from the 8-bit theater web comic.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The year was 1983.

Wandering around in the red-light district of Surabaya, Indonesia with a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black, a group of drunk American sailors happened upon a small restaurant called Moon Rabbit. The food was the most horrible combination of bland and hot. Think chunks of raw potato and onions in blisteringly hot yellow curry.

I thought "what a cool name for a band", so we started a band called Moon Rabbit and made an album of song parodies (like Weird Al but X-rated). Later, the name kind of stuck to me, and it's been my nick ever since.

/and you thought I was younger than that. [Angst]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Centurion
Member # 3956

- posted      Profile for Centurion           Edit/Delete Post 
One who is in command of a century.

I got the name from a friend who says I still act like a stiff-necked Marine.

Posts: 717 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
The Books series, Tale of Ice and Fire, I just liked the name, but I added the fool because one, I'm a fool, and two the guy is kindof a moron, he rapes the sister of one of the most powerful lords in the land, who also happens to be the fiancee of a nother on of the most powerful lords, and both of those lords happen to both be best friends with the other most powerful lord on the land, yea that Rhaegars a real genius, kindof obvious that hes gunna get some shit from it eh? Yea revolutions are fun.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured it out, basically.

♪ I write the songs that make the whole world sing . . . ♫

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
My friends think I am weird. Funny as in funny-weird, not funny-haha. Mr because I am a guy.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Ana and kata are the directions in the fourth spatial dimension. Like left right, up down, front back, ana kata. It's also greek for forwards and backwards, which I think is sort of cool. Words from greek that start with ana- should be the opposite of words that start with cata-. Like anabolic and catabolic. So I like to substitute prefixes and see what turns up. Like, what would an anapult do, you think? Hurl things in the same direction it's cocked? Have you heard of the little known catalects of Confucious? <laughs> Yes, I'm easily amused. [Smile]

My name is Anne Kate. Not Anne or Kate alone but both together: Anne Kate. You'll also see people call me aka or ak, both of which are other hatrack names. I'm also Draetakenna, but only when I'm a dragon. [Smile] Sometimes I sign my name ανακατα, or sometimes =D- which is the symbol in electronics for an "and gate", which is what some of my friends in electrical engineering school called me.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
=D-
Member # 5886

- posted      Profile for =D-   Email =D-         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, now I've gotten this one as well. [Smile] This is also me.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my real name... how boring.

It's from Cymbeline (Shakespeare) - the original Imogen was a handmaiden.. I wasn't even named after the heroine of the play, just a bit-part character!

(and after editing, evidently a character who couldn't spell...)

[ November 06, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chandani
Member # 5879

- posted      Profile for Chandani   Email Chandani         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is a dance stage name I picked out of a book of (theoretically) arabic names. It means moonlight. Over the years it's developed into more of an alter-ego...Chandani is prettier than I am, and when she's quiet it's because she is mysterious and wise, not because she can't think of anything to say.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Gottmorder, my secondary gaming callsign.

Although in hindsight, I wish i could change it to Lord Glockenheinen XXXVIII, who is simply an alter ego I made up for myself when someone wanted me to do an online survey.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
When I served as editor of my high school newspaper, I tended to be a bit glibe to the lowlier staff members. The advisor compared me to the old men in the balcony, and when I tried to incorporate it into a new screen name, this emerged. I think it's pretty cool.

I'm also Her Royal Sweekiness, which is sort of an inside joke between me and five or six people who I was talking to on AIM chat. I was trying to say "sweet" and a typo turned it into "sweek." Everyone was all, "sweek? What the heck is sweek?" so I came up with a bogus definition:

Sweek-- n. The state of being sweeky.

I always evade the question when someone asks me what it means, but if I call someone Sweeky, it's usually a compliment.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to an Allen Ginsburg reading at Harvard and during the Q&A portion, I asked him what I should use for my screename at Hatrack.

Without pausing or missing a beat, he said "Zalmoxis" and signaled for the next question.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Khavanon wrote:
quote:
My name is Shon. It is pronounced like Shawn. And I'll be damned if there isn't a human on planet Earth who can pronounce it when they read it or doesn't have a comment about its "uniqueness."
Well, I've seen your name spelled that way before so I'm not sure it's as unique as you think. [Smile]

Frisco, if you're not named after the City, are you named after the famous PNW fast food restaurant, Frisco Freeze?

Sopwith wrote:
quote:
It was also Snoopy's plane.
Funny, I thought it was a camel! [Wink]

Well, many other people have posted about previous SNs that never got tossed aside because they lost their password, and mine was Amontillado. So I went searching for a new one. My first name is Jon, a cousin calls me Jonny, I watch Cartoon Network every once in a while and I definitely was the opposite of the cartoon guy, and in a fit of madness and desperation, JNSB was born. I kinda like the sound of it, though 'tis a mouthful...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I stole it from Pat!

Bring on the Ralphie Luvin'!

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
it's the story of my life. every day is a fiasco. the spelling is because, when i got personalized license plates, 'fiasco' was already taken.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is boring. No fun story even. It's just the first 2 letters of my names (first, middle, and last) and I've never used it before for anything.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

actually, your first two letters make a decent name. that doesn't work for everyone. i would be kagipi. that's ooky.

pajeba = [Smile]
kagipi = [Wall Bash]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
kagipi looks cool, how would you say it?

And ooky is the funniest word, btw [Big Grin]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be immasa
hmmmm...

On the other hand my boyfriend would be atthea which does sound like a name, but kinda girly... [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
when i was a child I would go to bed at night and act outr this great adventure story to keep myself entertained till i felt sleepy. Once i decided to write a novel about what i had created i needed a name for my character.

In texas history one day a friend and i were goofing off trying to think of cool fantasy names. We somehow started taking real names and spelling them backwards. My seemed really cool...

Robey row-be my real name became
Yebor Yay-Bore my fantasy name

from then on I would have at least one character named yebor in any game or rpg i would play

Heck if I was playing A final fantasy game i would even take the name of my current g/f turn it around and use it

siri
harobed
annaed
irret

hell i still do it

any numers i use before or after are merely becausethe particular server will tell me a previous yebor variation has beeen used.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

helebo---funky [Big Grin]
idieh---nifty

edited to see what first name looked like backwards [Smile]

[ November 07, 2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Starla* ]

wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
jedabi. Interesting.
Wiezoreck is from the Ender books (Ender's father's name).
A friend of mine and I, when chatting online or sending emails, will spell each other's names backwards. It's the last names that sound so funny. [Wink]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
ankaar ... hmmm, not so great.

Draetakenna ... very nice! [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
so, wieczorek, how do you pronounce your name again? [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be Dadafi.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I got Scythrop from a novel I studied at Uni called Nightmare Abby and Crotchet Castle. I just thought it was a cool name, and not at all likely to be taken as a username.

In Smurfland I'd be "Super absorbant smurf" which is a bit of a worry, but good for cleaning down the kitchen benches.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, mikesa is pretty close to being my actual name.

Right on Kung Pao Smurf!

[ November 07, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I wish I could remember how to pronounce my name! Vi-chor-ek? Close? When I read the books, I always pronounced it as Wee-ek-zor-ek. heehee [Blushing]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

vye-cho-rek [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

[Embarrassed] How could I have forgotten? [Smile]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing the thing with the first two letters, my name would be Libeki. Kinda cool! [Big Grin] I got Eruve Nandiriel from a website that translates the MEANING of your name into Quenya. I also use the name Tigerlily. I use that one 'cuz 1)I love tigers, 2)tigerlilies are my favorite flower, and 3)Tigerlily is the cool indian warrior princess in Peter Pan. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Sorry if this isn't exactly on topic, but - does Wieczorek mean something in Polish or is it a name?? [Smile] Just curious
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhmmm,...Assuming everyone knows Mazer Rackham was the "long dead" space marine of EG.
I am a Marine, and when I signed on this forum in August'98, I hadn't read much besides the Ender Series, Homecoming and Alvin Maker. I didn't like Homecoming that much, and I thought everyone here was roleplaying characters from Hatrack, so I didn't want to take someone's name. EG was all that was left sooooooo,......

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

It's a dimunitive form of "wieczór", which means "evening".
fiazko
Member # 5812

pajeba, i was thinking something like kuh-gee-pee. kuh-jee-pee is just as bad, as is every other pronunciation i can come up with.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.