FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shockingly, We Have Some Pretty Cool Newbies Around Here (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shockingly, We Have Some Pretty Cool Newbies Around Here
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueFairy
Member # 2165

- posted      Profile for TheBlueFairy   Email TheBlueFairy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is someones old handle because I came in during the new username freeze or whatever you want to call it but I am new and I like this name minus the character reference to Pinnochio. And I'm fairly certain I am not one of the aforemetioned trolls b/c a)I dont post often enough to annoy ppl and b) I am a fairy not a troll:-D
Laena

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
How long does one remain a newbie? Or is this one of those "It's not your age, it's your state of mind" things?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
^ Exactly what I was about to ask ^
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Until most people know who you are, IMO.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

- posted      Profile for Fernando Martinez   Email Fernando Martinez         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is until you have enough hatrack friends that will run to your defense and say thet you aren't a newbie...of course ince i am myself a newbie i could be horribly wrong
Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

*thinks FM is horribly, horribly wrong*
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

- posted      Profile for Fernando Martinez   Email Fernando Martinez         Edit/Delete Post 
figures...the world is against me...must be because I'm a newbie
Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
*bounces*
Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Horribly, horribly wrong like inserting the word "dingle" in an otherwise decent scene?

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

oh dear, let's not start that again or we'll have Mack in here singing her Dingle songs
Lissande
Member # 350

Not quite that wrong, Q, but horribly wrong nonetheless. *glares at FM*
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

What did I do now?
Lissande
Member # 350

I'm pretty sure we're still stuck on the first horribly horribly wrong thing ("of course since i am myself a newbie i could be horribly wrong" and following). Holding onto things forever is one of my defining qualities.
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

Ah, thanks for the warning
asQmh
Member # 4590

As long as you're not holding on to your dingle (which would be an amazing feat for a woman, I think).

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truth teller
Member # 4535

- posted      Profile for Truth teller           Edit/Delete Post 
You are a newbie until I say otherwise.

I am not a newbie.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Wait. .. didn't we already de-bunk the truth teller?

This is like Alice's Through the Looking Glass where everything needs to be held up to a mirror, right? So. . .tt IS a newbie.. . and so are all he confirms?

Q.

TheBlueFairy
Member # 2165

- posted      Profile for TheBlueFairy   Email TheBlueFairy         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm..so is a dingle song, a dingle jingle? or is that something different entirely?
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fernando Martinez
Member # 4463

Oh dear, it's starting again...
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*ahem* Three separate times I have opened a reply screen in this thread to post a snarky comment about no one in particular *whistles*, but each time I've reconsidered. Let this post stand as the ultimate, though unspoken, snarky comment, as well as my recognition of the coolness of certain newbies (remaining nameless as per stipulations in initial post).

Wimp. Newbies are goobers. Every last one of them. Lots of oldies are goobers, too.

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

*eats handful of chocolate covered peanuts*
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truth teller
Member # 4535

debunked my arse!

and if we're doing this mirror thing does that mean that he now becomes a she? or did that already include the change and I'm really a she? or am I more of an it?

btw, your name is in desperate need of some vowels.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to avoid asking the "Am I still a newbie?" question, and instead ask, "Do most people know who I am?" I don't think I've got any Hatrack friends that will run to my aid and say that I'm not a newbie.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truth teller
Member # 4535

there needs to be a bigger seperation between newbie and old timer.

we need a middle ground.

like "old goober in training" OGIT

Lissande
Member # 350

Hm, people should know who you are and you should recognize Hatrack in-jokes I think. Or if you are the lurking type, maybe a couple of months even if people don't recognize you.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
My own personal gauge was when I finally stopped nervously and almost pathologically checking all responses to all of my posts.

Oh, and as the person who originally sponsored the term "goober" and made it a part of Hatrack culture I feel I'm entitle to: 1)Exemption from the title, myself and 2)Bestow the term upon whomsoever I choose.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawn Smyres
Member # 4350

- posted      Profile for Shawn Smyres   Email Shawn Smyres         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My own personal gauge was when I finally stopped nervously and almost pathologically checking all responses to all of my posts.

Oh, and as the person who originally sponsored the term "goober" and made it a part of Hatrack culture I feel I'm entitle to: 1)Exemption from the title, myself and 2)Bestow the term upon whomsoever I choose.

It's official. I will now refer to you as "Ralphie the Goober."

Shawn Smyres

Posts: 110 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

I think "Ralphie the Gooberer" would be more appropriate given what she's claiming.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Hey, how about "Queen of the g00bs"!
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
what if you used to be on the old furom. then got busy with VBS then started comeing back here.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
i was asking cause i used to post on all the furoms back in 97. i can't prove it cause the old furom archives are not around anymore.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

As Far back into Hatrack Forum history as I can go

[This message has been edited by James Tiberius Kirk (edited February 05, 2003).]

Totally Anonymous
Member # 2346

- posted      Profile for Totally Anonymous   Email Totally Anonymous         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone who spells it furom thrice in a row is definitely still a newbie
Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

no just a realy bad speller. ;O)
coil
Member # 4571

I don't want to be a goober... D:
Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
So, am I still a newbie, or have I clawed my way up to the rank of....hmmm....hey, what comes after Newbie? Did we settle on "goober"? I hope not. Please come up with a better title than that. That sounds much worse than newbie.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the progression is: n00b, newbie, member, hatracker, regular, jatraquero, veteran, old-timer, TomDavidson. The term "lurker" can apply to any of the first four, depending on the rate at which one posts and moves up the ladder. Someone like Jaiden, for instance, has only since Endercon become a "regular," before which she was a lurker/member. Maethoriell, on the other hand, climbed the ladder quite quickly.

Goober is not an official title. Sorta like "belches" rather than "bells" (for those who've read Songmaster). Other titles, such as troll, are not part of the hierarchy -- rather they can remove someone from it entirely, or merely be additional information.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

^ Expert ^

<--n00b

[This message has been edited by James Tiberius Kirk (edited February 05, 2003).]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels all warm and fuzzy about being mentioned*
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I think I'm somewhere around the hatracker/ regular stage? Someone please clarify.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

That is definitely enlightening, Papa Moose, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say that, but I'm still not sure where I fit into that heirarchy.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I should actually update that -- Jaiden may be a Jatraquera by now. Tough for me to tell, because I'm biased, having both met her at Endercon, and talked with her frequently in the chatroom. Plus she has that Pod issue, which could work for or against her promotion, depending on who is judging....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have no idea where I rank. I'm guessing I'm somewhere between "newbie" and "jatraquero."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

Who is the longest-standing member? Perhaps that person could be elected to bestow ranks upon the rest of us peons.
Vampyr1818
Member # 4592

- posted      Profile for Vampyr1818   Email Vampyr1818         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm...what level am I? and don't go by this new account because I have hardly any posts on this...
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

(Cor- TomDavidson has the most posts, I think..?)

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the village idiot niche vacant? I mean, jebus hardly ever posts anymore.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
That position's been filled since the beginning of last July.

[This message has been edited by Jeni (edited February 05, 2003).]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

I find my posts/day average disturbing. Do I still count as a lurker, or have I graduated to star-farmer? *sheepish grin*
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.