FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anime Films (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anime Films
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He was also from Yellow Magic Orchestra, and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and had a solo career that included Left Hand Dream with Robin Scott and Adrian Belew.

You mean that guy?

Ya that guy, have you heard of him? Eh, probably not [Big Grin]
Satyagraha

[ January 12, 2004, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump

Disney is releasing Miyazaki's Nausicca and Porco Rosso on DVD on August 31, 2004.

Yoshi!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Why do you need to practice listening to Korean? I spoke it once, but I have been too far removed to remember anything. Kill Bill has Korean subtitles if you wanna practice reading.

As Far as Anime,

My FAVORITE has always been "Yotoden." It is a Three Part movie that is STELLER!!! You can get the condensed Movie, but since it is just a montage of the three movies, it is too hard to follow and not very good. You need to get and watch all three!

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw Now and Then, Here and There. It's very disturbing and graphic.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was directed to me (the comment to mike about korean). I have rudimentary korean language knowledge from my childhood (and three semesters of college korean). I understand loads more than I can speak.

My reading is awful, too slow. I can sound out the characters, but only recognize them by saying them to myself. So I wouldn't get much out of korean subtitles.

Listening to korean, however, lets me improve my vocab and a little grammar. But only in the household-korean way, not in the scholar-structure way. It helps that I have an understanding of grammar now, because I didn't as a kid. Things just sounded "right" or "wrong."

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats "Neon Genesis Evangelion"...

The greatest Anime mini-series EVER! And I've seen alot...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, Eva.

A friend of mine made a mix video of clips from Eva to a song for Anime Boston AMV contest (and made it to the finals). If you can figure out the video format and things, it's on this page.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Blue Submarine No. 6. All in all, fun to watch, nicely drawn, but good grief, do the Japanese know how to ruin a movie with awful music. Meh. The action scenes had this kind of paen to the kind of cheese you would hear during old Godzilla movies.

The plot was kind of confusing. There was a little girl on the submarine whose purpose I'm still not entirely clear on. I gathered she was the resident empath or something, but I never really saw the crew of the No. 6 make use of her empathy in any kind of useful way.

Also, note to any Japanese anime directors who might read this, while I understand it's a trope of the genre, drawing all the women in either skin tight uniforms, or topless, does *not* help the viewer to focus on the story!

Oh, and there aren't any goofy cute side kicks. I hate those and their lack automatically earns the movie points from me.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Pole shift... watch out!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, particularly the last two episodes... although I suspect there are those who would disagree....
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.