FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simple Fare (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Simple Fare
matt
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for matt   Email matt         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing of all time to cook is my mom's beans-'n-rice recipe...you take:

1 can Bush's field peas with snaps
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup instant rice (uncooked)

Mix the can of field peas with the can of cream of chicken soup in a pot, then fill the soup can with water and empty it into the pot as well. Stir and bring to a boil, then add the cup of uncooked rice. Reduce heat to low and cover, let simmer 10-15 minutes.
Then just slop a couple'a spoonfulls between two pieces of bread, and have the best darn sandwich you'll ever eat! [Smile]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalia
Member # 3891

- posted      Profile for Thalia   Email Thalia         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna salad, the way my roomie makes it

My chili -- cook onions & garlic in large cast-iron frying pan, add ground beef and brown it; add can of tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, canned corn, cook.
Serve with Fritos (a must) on top plus grated cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream or whatever.

Three letters: B L T

Plain yogourt mixed with little apple chunks, raisins & a little cinnamon

Toasted peanut butter & banana sandwich

Mashed potatoes

Boneless skinless chicken breast, marinated in just about any type of salad dressing (honey dijon is kinda nice) and then broiled

Cheerios with green grapes (don't ask me why)

Cubed cheese and fruit

Apple slices & peanut butter

Fresh, fresh bread

Spaghettini with President's Choice Sweet Basil pasta sauce (warmed in frying pan with a little chopped onion and browned ground beef) topped with lotsa black pepper and freshly grated asiago cheese

Dang, I love food. I can't believe I don't weigh a zillion pounds.

Thalia

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
my favorite thing to do for my roommates and friends back in richmond was to stock up on cheap chicken breasts, grill them on the foreman, and then keep them in ziplock bags in the fridge.

then on sunday i would make stacks of warm chicken quesadillas for everyone.

for breakfast matthew made us fluffy chocolate chip pancakes, and i always made banana french toast served with fresh fruit.
for the banana french toast you just eyeball it: about one banana with two eggs, a squirt of milk, dash 'o cinnamon and a dash 'o nutmeg--all in a blender.
fabulous.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and i highly suggest cooking potatoes IN the pot with the roast, along with a whole vidalia (sp?) onion and some baby carrots.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know where you get the name Speed. Good Lord, that's a lot of carbs!

Steaks! Yay Steak. I like to marinate cheap steak. It's the easiest way to be able to eat steak often (buy it cheap and marinate it to make it edible. [Wink] )

Anyway, I have two versions of my favorite marinade.

1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbs. vegetable oil (salad oil)
2 Tbs. Soy Sauce
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. mustard (real mustard, not powdered)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Throw all that together in a ziplock bag, smoosh around till well mixed, add steak, and marinate.

You know how to cook it. (Marinate at least 6-8 hours)

That is the official version. Personally, I don't like vinegar all that much (though I do enjoy it with cucumbers.) So, I slowly began taking things out of the recipe. Like the vinegar first off. I don't use it that often, so sometimes, the vinegar was as old as the last time I made the marinade. And since I usually only grill in the summer. . . [Eek!]

So, off went the vinegar. Oil? Seriously? What was that in there for? Does anyone really want to spend 2 bucks for oil just to marinate a steak? And the soy sauce was a bit overwhelming. So, I cut that in half. Then, to make up for it, I doubled the worcestershire sauce (could they have made that word any longer?) Then, I forgot there wasn't any onion powder in the recipe. So, I added that for a long time. About 1/2 tsp. Then, I didn't have the ketchup one time, so I marinated the steaks with everything but the ketchup. My husband brought some home when he came home from work, so I added it about 30 minutes before cooking it.

Like that so much, I decided to try grilling the steaks without the ketchup at all. Mmm. . .

So, now, I have this recipe

2-3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce (or more if you like)
1 Tbs. Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. onion powder (okay, I really just shake the bottle a bit. . . pretty much the same with everything. . . I can't remember the last time I actually measured anything. Does anyone really measure?)
1/4 tsp. garlic
1-2 tsp. mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt

Smoosh it all in Ziplock bag, add steak, marinate for at least an hour or two (the longer the better.)

Now this was originally for a London Broil and after you grabbed the meat out of the bag, you could simmer the rest of the marinade and then dribble it over the slice London Broil. I, however, just use it as a marinade for cheap steak, and without the ketchup and oil, there is not much left to simmer or thicken. Besides, the cheap steaks are thin enough that you can just sear them and eat them meduim rare and they don't need any extra sauce. [Razz]

I know, I'm weird. But it's really good.

[ June 02, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My current snack of choice:

Cut yams in strips, throw in bowl. Toss in olive oil, soy sauce, basil, oregano, coriander and chili powder.
Bake at 400 for ~20 minutes (depending on how thick you cut them) then flip. Rotate pan if your oven is like mine and is warmer at one end than the other and cook for another 20 minutes.
Consume.
Enjoy.

You can also do it with potatoes, especially if you like rosemary or dill (which I really don't think go well with yams).

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, that sounds wonderful! i love to tempura (light rice flour batter) yams, carrots, potatoes, squash and broccoli (weird, but good) and then either dip them in ranch dressing or vinigrette/chili sauce of my own making. Sadly, each creation is its own wonder and I don't really have a recipe.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalia
Member # 3891

- posted      Profile for Thalia   Email Thalia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I once had sweet potato fries that were probably a lot like your recipe, and they were served with cajun mayonnaise. The combination was incredible. My sister and I joke about driving to Ann Arbor just to have them again. [Smile]

Thalia

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
I'm popular! I always knew being vegan would pay off eventually [Razz]
I've had sweet potatoe fries with a curry sauce as well, but it was before I was cooking for myself and I'm not sure how I would go about making it. I guess it could be a soy milk base with flour. Or maybe something lighter with a little tvp to give it some weight...
Huh. Maybe I should try that this weekend [Smile]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't beat ramen for quick eats, but for me it's gotta be a salad with a can of tuna on top.

Ingredients:
1 Salad
1 Can of Tuna
Ranch dressing.

Put the salad in a bowl, plop the can of Tuna on top and squirt ranch dressing to taste.

For dessert, Chocolate chip cookies and Coca-cola. It's really really good.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh, and i highly suggest cooking potatoes IN the pot with the roast, along with a whole vidalia (sp?) onion and some baby carrots.
And mushrooms. Mmmm, mushrooms . . .
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always knew being vegan would pay off eventually
Yes...you won't have to worry about retirement or anything, what, with anemia and osteoporosis kicking in at 50 or so, you should expire peacefully before you even have to go into a home! [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Made potato pancakes last night. Mmm! Shred up some carrot, spinach, onion and garlic in the food processor along with several potatoes. Add milk an egg and a 1/4 cup of flour, season to taste and then griddle them up [Smile]

Delicious!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Red lentil curry

1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
1 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. red hot pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/4 cup ghee (or canola)
1 large onion cut in half, cut thin in other direction
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander leaves (cilantro)

In heavy saucepan boil first 5 ingredients for about 30 minutes. While cooking, sautee onions and cumin in ghee. When lentils are done, add onions, garnish with cilantro.

Serve with rice, of course.

-----

Bob: my mom makes roasted vegetables in much the same way. Cut into a baking dish some quantity of: sweet potatoes, onions, bell peppers, asparagus, portabella mushrooms, zucchini, and/or whatever else you feel necessary. Cover liberally with olive oil and bake at 400, stirring every 10 minutes. It's usually done after about 30 minutes. Mmmmm. [Big Grin]

-----

I enjoy my tuna plain and simple, with just a dollop of mayo. White albacore or tongol are the best. Of course, I'm probably just too lazy to bother with celery or relish. Maybe I'll try one of those recipes one day.

Suneun has a tasty spicy tuna recipe that she might want to share. [Wink]

-----

I am best known for my hommus:

~4 cloves of garlic
30 oz can of chickpeas (I prefer Goya, or you can soak & boil dried chickpeas), and reserve some of the liquid
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
juice of 1 lemon
paprika for garnish

Chop the garlic finely in a food processor. Add the chickpeas, olive oil, and tahini. Add some of the lemon juice (carefully, as it is easy to overdo it). Blend until more or less homogenous, adding some of the chickpea liquid if necessary. Add more lemon juice, to taste, and blend some more. Garnish with olive oil and paprika.

Notes: if you boil the chickpeas from scratch, you will need to soak them overnight first. Do not boil with salt (it takes forever -- I learned this the hard way). Dissolve about a 1/2 Tbsp. salt (or to taste) in the chickpea liquid that you add to the hommus. If you prefer a roasted garlic flavor, lightly sautee some or all of the whole garlic cloves in the olive oil beforehand.

Good with toasted pita or carrost. [Wink]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla-
You can get thick cuts of cheap steak, too, and then you can london broil it [Smile] Top Round for example makes a good london broil. And, of course, shoulder steak...

but honestly, the best london broil is a flank steak.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BebeChouette
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for BebeChouette   Email BebeChouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut an apple into bite-sized pieces and place them in a bowl. Add frozen blueberries and other berries if they are available. Dump raw oatmeal on top and shake it so that it falls down into the fruit. Now dollop on some plain unsweetened yogurt and sprinkle with granola. Pour on the milk. The milk should freeze around the berries.

What you have in your bowl is the best combination of textures and tastes that I know of. It is light and interesting and every bite is slightly different from the last one. When I am in the mood I add nuts, oranges, or kiwis to the mix.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchwomanonline
Member # 5084

- posted      Profile for frenchwomanonline   Email frenchwomanonline         Edit/Delete Post 
FRENCHCOOKONLINE today.

First of all, I'd like to try the Neiman cookies recipe, but unfortunatly, I cannot understand quantities : what means exactly "oz" ? and what is the more exact weight for a cup ? moreover : what is "Hershey bar" ? and soda really means that you add soda to make cookies ?

Well now I share one of the most famous recipe in my family : very easy, not expensive. We call it simply "jambon à la bonne sauce" translation : "ham in a good sauce"

you will need for about 6 personnes :
12 slices of ham
4 shallots
1 cup of wine vinegar,
Some tomato concentrate
cream (a quite great quantity)
And of course salt and pepper

1 you mince the shallots and pour it in a pan (quite large one), then you pour the vinegar, and let it boil, until the vinegar has reduced to about a quarter. Don't worry, if you cry with shallots and vinegar, it's normal, just open a window !
2 You had about 3 large spoons of tomato concentrate, you mix all with a wood spoon,
3 you pour the cream, salt and pepper (a drop of worcestershire sauce is nice too) until you find the taste you like.
4 Serve it on the ham with some rice.
I Assure that everybody is fond of this at home, from the yougest to the oldest !

Try and tell me. I've got plenty of other good recipes that I would be happy to share, but don't forget, if someone has a good one for cookies : I'm here !

Frencookonline

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
An ounce (oz.) is a measurement of weight used in the US (16 oz = 1 lb, 2.2 lbs = 1 kilo). The 24 oz. of chocolate chips would be between half and 3/4 of a kilo. The soda referred to is baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate). A "Hershey" bar is a brand of chocolate bar common here in the US. Any brand of chocolate bar would work well (I'll bet European chocolate would be even better). [Smile]

I think your recipe sounds delicious. I think I will have to try it! [Big Grin]

[ June 03, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchwomanonline
Member # 5084

- posted      Profile for frenchwomanonline   Email frenchwomanonline         Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS for your help Ludosti !!
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

[Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

One of my favorite summer treats:

Cut (in slices or chunks), peel, and freeze (overnight or longer) several peaches.
In a food processor, beat up the frozen peaches, a tablespoon or so of sugar, and a little bit of milk (so the frozen peaches become about the consistancy of soft-serve). If you want, you can also sprinkle in a little bit of nutmeg or ginger (or some chunks of crystallized ginger). It's really yummy! [Big Grin]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
THought i'd bump this since we've had a flood of food threads. Also, I'm starting a list of hatracker recipies, since I may well be living on my own next year, and i don't have a good cookbook(or one at all).

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Tortillini. You don't even need sauce with it. Just boil it and add some olive oil and freshly ground pepper. makes for a very good lunch.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The best roast potatoes...

Peel & halve potatoes (quarter if they're really big).
Par boil till for 10 minutes or until they're almost cooked but not too soft (I tend to forget them and always cook them too soft: it doesn't really matter).
Pre-heat oven to 220º C (really hot. don't know what it is in F).
Drain potatoes and rinse in cold water then with a fork score all over: you should be left with potato pieces covered in little ridges.
Put on baking tray with olive oil and sea salt: bake for about 1/2 an hour, until golden brown. You'll have to turn them at least once so they don't stick.

The end result: all crispy and crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. yummmm.

(these are also called granny pat potatoes, 'cos they were my grandmother's speciality)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Best summer desert ever.

Take one tub of strawberries, one carton of whipping cream and a pile of meringues.
Put meringues in a bag and smash (but not too hard) til they're in quite big chunks.
Whip cream.
Chop strawberries in half.
Mix it all together and eat.

[ November 10, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Sugar+Spice ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
bump

Chicken and Rice Casserole

• 7 Cups cooked rice
  • 1 4oz. can sliced pimentos (for color, but I like diced green chiles better)
  • 3 Cups cooked chicken
  • 1 Cup slivered almonds
  • 1 Can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup
  • 3½ Cups chicken broth
  • 3 Tbsp. Flour
Make a paste of the flour and combine with the chicken broth in a 13x9x2 glass casserole dish.
Stir in remaining ingredients.

Bake at 350º for 1 hour.

Serves 6 to 8.

[ April 06, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just made sweet potato fries tonight and they're incredibly easy and so good. All you do is slice a sweet potato really thin and fry it in a skillet with a lot of oil until they get all crispy and brown. It takes a really long time, wait until they are actually brown. Then salt really lightly and you have the most addicting snack food ever.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with your bump skillery, food is a wonderful thing:

Lemon grilled shrimp

you need: butter, lemon, salt, shell-on deveined shrimp

juice the lemon(s)
melt enough butter to equal your lemon juice
mix the lemon and butter
Pour Salt (kosher if you can, table if you must) onto a plate.

take shrimp (I usually buy frozen, if you do too defrost them, make sure they have the shell-on though) and dip into the lemon/butter mix to coat. Take now wet shrimp and drag through salt, covering both sides of shell. After you have all your shrimp covered in salt/lemon/butter, pour any butter/lemon thats left over shrimp.

cook -- I like to do it on the grill with skewers or in a pan, either works well.

Easy Super Bowl Dip:

8oz bacon
8oz sour cream
8oz cream cheese
1 bell pepper
1 bundle green onions

dice bell pepper and green onions.
Put cream cheese and sour cream into pot, put on ultra low heat (dont let it burn/bubble as you do everything else)

Cook bacon, chop up when its all cooked.

Put pepper, onions, bacon into cream cheese/sour cream pot. Add 1/4 to 1/2 of the bacon grease (make sure you scrape in some of the little black stuff on the bottom of the bacon pan to get more flavor)

bring the whole thing to heat.

Dip with tortilla chips/bread(sourdough is good)/or anything else.

Alternative: Serve in a bread bowl. Buy a round sourdough loaf. Cut out top and center and cut this into chunks. Put bowl in oven on low to crisp while you make the dip. When dip is ready, pour into bread bowl, then put in oven broiler to crisp the top of the dip.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slim Jims and coffee.
Breakfast of champions.

Slim Jims and Coke

Lunch of champions.

Slim Jims and Budweiser

Dinner of champions!

dkw, you may want to do the cooking.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Pieburgers

Filling:
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pkg dry onion soup
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pickle relish, or finely chopped pickle (I like dill, rather than sweet)
  • 2-4 tbsp chili sauce
Brown ground beef lightly with salt and onion soup mix.
Add relish and chili sauce and set mixture aside.

Pastry:
  • ½ Cup evaporated milk or light cream
  • 2 tsp vinegar
  • 2 Cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ Cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2/3 Cup Crisco
Combine vinegar and evaporated milk and set aside.
Combine flour, salt, and cheese. Cut in Crisco until the particles are pea-sized.

Make a depression in the middle of the flour mixture, and add sour milk mixture all at once. Stir quickly with a fork to moisten thoroughly. Form into a ball. Divide ball in half.

Roll out half of dough at a time, to form a 12-inch square. Cut into four 6-inch squares.

Place about 1/4 cup ground beef filling in the center of each square. Moisten edges and fold over to form triangles. Press edges together with fork to seal. Prick 2 or 3 times for escape of steam. Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 425º for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown. Serve hot with chili sauce. Also works well when frozen and microwaved.

[ April 07, 2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread always makes me hungry.

My favourite simple chicken recipe:

Chicken breasts
Asparagus
Proscuitto
Cherry Tomatoes
Olives
White wine (or water if you prefer)

Take the chicken breasts. Cut two slices in them so they look like three fingers joined at one end (this allows them to cook faster).
Place chicken breasts in pan. Cover each breast with a slice of proscuitto. Place asparagus in pan around chicken.

Cook. After abuot 5-10 minutes, take the proscuitto off the chicken and fry it in the pan, allowing it to crisp up. The reason it started off on the chicken was to let the chicken steam slightly under the proscuitto.

Turn the breasts once. When they are about done, add cherry tomatoes to the pan and mush them up a bit. Then add a splash of white wine / water and stir - it should all bubble and make a sauce with the tomato and chicken juices.

Finally throw in a few olives. Then tip out of the pan - Chicken, Asparagus and a yummmy sauce in 20 minutes max, only dirtying one pan.

Mmm mmm.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Boneless chicken (this is not truly a recipe)

Preheat oven to (I like 350)
Lightly oil pan
Get whatever spices you think would work well
-> I prefer spices like Parsley, Rosemary, Oregano, Lemon Pepper etc
Place chicken in pan and then in oven
Sometime later turn them over.
Sometime later eat

My youngest sister when I babysat her would never ever eat seconds of our mom's cooking. For some reason she would always eat seconds of the chicken I cooked. My mom was peeved.

Recipes are for people who have no love to cook or just don't know how. Cook from the heart, the food will always taste better

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

GYOZA (Japanese-style pot stickers):

• 64 gyoza skins
  • ½ head cabbage
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 T Soy sauce
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 8 mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 tsp. ginger juice
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • garlic
  • Sauce: Mustard, vinegar and soy sauce
Add cabbage to boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes. Take out the cabbage and drain off most of the water.
Mix together cabbage, mushroom, carrot, ginger juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and pork.
Wrap filling in the gyoza skins. Wet a finger and run it around the edge of the gyoza skin, and then pinch it closed.
Pan-fry until golden brown. Add 1/2 to 1 cup boiling water. Cook until the water all boils away. (When adding boiling water do not pour over the gyoza but rather from the sides.)

Serve with the sauce made of mustard, vinegar and soy sauce.

Notes:

Gyoza skins (wonton skins work too) can be found at either an Asian market, or sometimes next to the tofu in the specialty section of the produce area in a regular supermarket.

I usually add lots of garlic...almost a whole clove.

I get ginger juice the hard way by grating ginger root into a bowl and then squeezing the juice out.

Deep-frying is faster, and baking is healthier.

If you are going to make gyoza as a main course, plan on about 20 per person. Serve with steamed rice. Try a variety of dipping sauces.

[ April 07, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Heat oil over high/medium heat in a pan.

When it's liquidy but not yet smoking, throw in some minced garlic. Immediately add whole mushrooms.

Stir constantly, letting the mushrooms carmelize on all sides. The pan should be just this side of smoking.

When the mushrooms are tender enough to easily push a fork through them, lower the heat and add 1/4 cup good red wine (Shiraz is good).

Simmer until the liquid is reduced.

Serve immediately. Keep lots of napkins on hand to catch the drool.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee- I love cooking mushrooms that way, but instead of garlic, I use ginger. mmmm

My favorite quick meal-
Corn Salad-
1 can corn (fresh cut brand is good)
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped (or use grape tomatoes)
fresh herbs- I've used chives, rosemary, oregano, basil (not all at the same time)

Mix toegether with balsamic vinegar. Add salt, if needed.

You can add any fresh vegetable on hand- I've also used green onions and bell peppers. I've also added cottage cheese to the salad to give it a different flavor/texture.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Red Potato Salad

• Boiled red potatoes, diced
  • Purple onion, diced
  • Cooked bacon, crumbled
  • Sour cream
  • Mayonnaise
  • Dill
  • Salt to taste

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite simple fare is bean burritos, I make a big batch of refritos and Spanish Rice every Monday for supper, and throw the leftovers first into the micro then into an Ezekiel tortilla or two for lunch every day.

My kids fave simple fare is mac and real cheese. I throw some shaped pasta (Trader Joe's organic whole wheat rotelle or penne) into a pot of boiling water. While water boils, I grate or order a child to grate about two cups assorted cheeses. I like a combo of cheddar and mozz. Drain pasta when done, add cheese and dollop of unsalted butter to hot pasta. Stir with a wooden spoon til cheese is melted and well combined.

[ April 08, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Charcoal is better than gas.

IS BETTER, being defined as, 'causes food to taste better.'

I've come around to like my George Foreman Grill. Take the bean burritos above, fold 'em up tight, pop 'em on the GFG-- and you've got chalupas, or whatever Taco Bell calls those things, in no time. Add some leftover steak, some peppers, onions-- hey, it's a Grilled Stufft Burrito!

And quesadillas are a cinch with the GFG. So are grilled cheese sandwiches.

French toast, however, does not work on the GFG. Too bad.

[ April 20, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Pad Thai (as taught to me by my brother)

In a hot, oiled wok quickly cook some chopped green onions (I usually do 2 of those little bunches - including most of the green parts, not just the bottom white part).
Add minced garlic (I like a lot of garlic, so I do about 4-6 cloves) and cook for about a minute (you don't want the garlic to burn) before adding a couple tablespoons each of hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and catsup, and about a tablespoon each of fish sauce (or soy sauce) and creamy peanut butter (the secret ingredient). Stir everything together really well.
Add some (I use about 1/2 a pound for 2-3 people) med-large cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp and some bean sprouts and cook until the shrimp is hot.
Stir in some (I use about half a package for 2-3 people) cooked wide rice noodles (they look kind of like linguine but cook much faster - only a couple minutes in boiling water).
You can, at this stage, turn off the heat and very quickly stir in one beaten egg (you don't want it to scramble, but thicken the sauce), but usually I forget to do this.
Top with some chopped peanuts and serve with lime wedges (the lime juice makes it really good).
You can customize this by using chicken breast or adding frozen mixed vegetables or whatever else you think would make it taste better.

[ April 20, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear Ye, hear ye! I call upon the power of the Almighty BUMP! Let this thread be resureected by the power of French Onion Soup!!!

French Onion Soup:

Needed:

Onions 4 red and 2 yellow
beef broth 2 cans uncondensed
chicken broth 1 can uncondensed
thyme
salt
pepper
red wine or cooking sherry
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 bay leaf
2 tsp butter
splash Ex. Vir. Olive Oil
bread
cheese (swiss usually)

Slice onions (I like to make some really thin and some medium thick.

Put tall stock pot over low heat. Add butter and olive oil. Allow to spread over bottom of pot. Let heat until butter starts to get 'frothy'

Put onions in bottom of tall stock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add Thyme, chopped up.

Let cook until onions have sweated down to perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of original size (maybe 45 minutes) If you want to go faster, turn up the heat to medium. If you turn up the heat, you need to start stirring the onions so they dont turn black.

Onions should now be a brown color. Add enough red Wine/Sherry to cover the onions, add poultry seasoning. Turn up heat to medium. Reduce the liquid until you have a thicker solution (maybe 10 minutes at most) You can also add some brandy or cognad to it if you want (Remember: 1 splash for the soup, 2 swigs for the cook)

Add Broth and Bay leaf. Let soup simmer while you prepeare bread.

Toast the bread. It should be fairly dry but not burnt when you are done (low heat in the toaster for 5 - 10 minutes works)

Grate the cheese fine.

Get out several oven safe bowls.

Turn on broiler in over, (or preheat a toatser oven)

Remove bay leaf from pot. Spoon onions into oven safe bowls, then top off with the broth. Place a slice of the dry bread on the soup in the bowla nd cover with grated cheese. Place bowl in oven under broiler until cheese is melty and turnedin brown.

Eat.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Breakfast:

1 bowl
2 or 3 slices of bread
sugar
milk

put a slice of bread into the bowl and put desired amount sugar on it. Do the same with the other slice(s). pour milk on top.

Lunch:

Ramen noodles

Lunch on the go:

Ramen noodles not cooked but crumbled.

Dinner:

Guinness mixed with hard apple cider (1/2 and 1/2 ratio). Anything with Guinness in it is a meal.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Some tortilla salad thingy I made up while scrounging my dorm room for things to eat:

Take a tortilla. Put some lettuce in it. I use romaine. Add some raisins. Pour on some olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette. Maybe sprinkle on grated cheese if you want. Fold it up like a burrito and eat.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.