FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We have seen Wierd Al in IL! (details on pg 3) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: We have seen Wierd Al in IL! (details on pg 3)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Offline for 24 hours and I miss the deadline?!?

Oh well, I couldn't have had an answer until tomorrow night anyway. [Frown]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Dana! I just checked, though, and there are still adjacent seats available. If you follow the link Anna provided earlier, you should be able to grab yourself a ticket.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I counted only 7 people on the for certain list...is it possible that Vána got ahold of you before the deadline, Tom?
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Dan_Raven and his wife confirmed just below.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Lime (or Vana), I'm going to call when the box office opens (9am). If you haven't already, would you like me to order for you also?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom. I slept for 15 hours last night, and just got a lecture from the nurse at the doctor's office on how I'm supposed to be taking it easy. Mono sucks. I'd better be well by the end of this month though, because I have friends visiting me in succession from the 8th through the 20th and then this on the 23rd. I wish there was something more I could do to kick my immune system into high gear.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, do try to take care of yourself.

On a side not, I can't wait to tell Bill that we've gone from possibly 6 to possibly 10. He's going to faint!

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Got the adjacent seat.

I'm still not absolutely sure I can make it, but I figure the chance to meet more Hatrackers is worth the risk. Plus, of course, the opportunity to see those of you I've already met again.

And count me in for mini-golf as well. [Smile]

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap! What the heck? How did I miss all this?

Oh yeah. Because we're moving offices here, and I wasn't at my desk much.

Crap!

*runs off to call husband*

I'll let you guys know if we can get tickets or not. How do you reqest particular seats? Should I call?

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Call. Tell them you have friends in section OR7, row EE, seats 1-10.
They were very helpful when I did it.

Vána
Member # 3262

Lime's calling right now. Yay! [Smile] I'll let you know what happens.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Alright, we're in row DD, right in front of you, seats 8 and 9. Not bad, huh? [Smile]

Yay!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now how am I supposed to see a thing with Vana right in front of me jumping up and down and getting in the way.

(We be a dirty dozen now. Cool.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

We can't be TOO dirty. Dana's ordained.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh...I'm so jealous of you all...I just bought Poodle Hat last week, I've been laughing myself silly ever since. Running with Scissors is my favorite though (as well as random selections from his great earlier stuff.) [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmmm this brings up the question, should I get the CD before the show to be more familiar with the lyrics and catch all the nuances, or just let it all go sweeping over me in one exposure at the show.

Knowing me, I should probably get the CD so I won't be scratching my head trying to figure out which funny line I missed.

(I've listened to Wierd Al's stuff in the past and like him in general I just haven't listened to his most recent stuff)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Crud!

I'm sorry Dana, I got the tickets immediately when Vána called me and she didn't tell me about you needing tickets, too.

Blast.

Good luck!!

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Read back, Lime. I got mine before you did. [Big Grin]

Edit: and I'm glad you got yours, because I almost called Vana's cell phone before I got mine (still have the # from the first Madison gathering) but I wasn't sure if that was too intrusive for someone I've only met twice. I would have felt really bad if you ended up off in the balcony because I'm neurotic about the telephone. [Embarrassed]

[ July 17, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bump... we are now 24 days away and counting. We should have a spare bedroom available in Rolling Meadows if anyone needs it. It is scheduled to be painted this weekend.

AJ

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I was going to bump this.

We need to decide where we are going to meet, get maps, and of course, figure who goes first on the mini-golf course.

I also have an opportunity to offer.

I am on the brink of going professional with my magic. I don't mean Sigfried and Roy/Vegas professional. I mean Birthday Party professional. However, I need to time my act to make sure it fills 1/2 hour, or figure out how much more of that 1/2 hour I need to fill. To do that I need a real audience to perform in front of.

Do you think we could round up a few people to sit through a small show, maybe 30 minutes, maybe 10? Don't expect disappearing tigers or catching bullets in my teeth. Just simple little tricks that will leave you more giggling than amazed.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd have to have someplace to meet, then, but that sounds fun to me!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

If he can't catch bullets in his teeth, what good is he?
celia60
Member # 2039

ok, my weekend is getting a bit more complicated, as a good friend i haven't seen in a long, long time is going to be in Chicago that weekend. at the moment, we might be meeting you at the door.

for the detailed planning, i'm going to suggest we exchange some email.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Great, I've got some email I need to exchange, 5 different offers to help some poor African diplomats launder money using my bank account. I just need to send my bank account number to total strangers over the internet. What an opportunity.

What can I get in trade for them?

celia60
Member # 2039

if you send me your banking info, i'll take care of that. [Wink]
Vána
Member # 3262

I love you all so much. [Big Grin]

And Dana, I totally understand about being neurotic about the phone - I'm very much the same way (too bad a big part of my current job is calling people on the phone!).

Dan_raven, how much room do you need for the magic show? We could probably all squeeze into my living room - I have a big couch and some chairs, and the floor's pretty comfy. I've never had twelve people in there before, but I've had nine (well, one was a baby, but still) and we weren't cramped. I think we could pull it off.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

And the closer we are to Dan, the easier he is to heckle. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

Will Vána be upset if we throw tomatoes in her living room?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

That will be enough space. Just need to remember to time myself.

And no pestering me on how I do the tricks. Its MAGIC.

Vána
Member # 3262

As long as you help me clean up afterwards, tomatoes are fine.

[Wink]

Christy
Member # 4397

Oh good, and mine are just coming ripe in the garden! (Hey, maybe that's a good use for the ones I've discovered with blossom end rot! *laugh*) Woo!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Why Dan_raven! I see you've been e-mailing The Barrow-Downs with a question about your magic!

Grave Matters

quote:
Dear Grave Matters,

I am an experienced magican, I do lots of card and up close magic. I really enjoy doing magic, but whenever I mess up somehow, there is always that one person who takes advantage of it and makes me look even worse. Do you have any advice on how to handle these people?

Dan

Luckily, Gandalf was able to help you out.

quote:
Dan,

The magical profession can be one of the most satisfying yet most frustrating careers a young man can choose, so it is most important that you learn to deal with your critics early on. I, too, have had my share of detractors, many of whom were openly bent on my ruination. Hopefully your heckler is not quite so extreme in his disparagement, but just in case, here are a few techniques that have worked for me.

Overwhelm them : When an audience member becomes threatening, try stepping back, eyes flashing as you grow taller, and surrounding yourself in menacing shadow. The little blighter will cower back into his seat with a whimper. Works almost every time.

Make them figure it out : If the interruptions cause you to forget the words to your spell, dupe the audience into remembering them for you. Mumble a few tries and then sit in exasperation until one of them blurts out the correct password. Claim that you knew it all along, and it was so obvious that you thought you would let the crowd give it a try. They will be grateful and amazed.

Revoke their power : Occasionally, there arises in your audience a pest who thinks he has more skills than you. He'll work in the background doing his best to foil your efforts. You must march up to his ivory tower, call him forward, and break his staff. If he doesn't have one, simply bash him on the head. Let him put that in his pipe and smoke it.

Sneak Attack: Organize a force of, say, nine people to attack your adversary from different directions. Send in the short guys from behind for the final blow. 13 dwarves and a hobbit is also a succesful formula.

Hope these have been of assistance.

Sincerely

Gandalf

Rather impressive, really. Dan, I expect to see quite a show from you after this!

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump... do we need a more organized itinerary?

AJ

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Yes, we need a well formulated, organized itinerary.

But I'd settle for address and directions where we will meet e-mailed to me.

At minimum we need someone familiar with the area to organize it.

Hmmm, since the fact that many of us owe someone money, and her only chance of seeing it is if we actually meet, maybe....

Good news: My insurance company is sending me new camera to replace ones lost in India. I'll be able to photograph all of you.

Well I think that's good news.

Vána
Member # 3262

If someone else will figure out a good time for us all to meet (we want to play minigolf and eat before the concert, right?), I'd be willing to find directions and stuff (well, okay - get Lime to do it). But I'm just not sure when we should try to meet up.

Did we ever pick a type of restraunt to eat at?

celia60
Member # 2039

let the email deluge begin!

(or at least check yours, i think i got everyone)

Christy
Member # 4397

I didn't get one! [Frown]
celia60
Member # 2039

i decided tom was more important, so i just sent it to him. Vána will also discover that she is more important than lime.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You realize, of course, that you have now practically guaranteed that I'll be doing chores upon returning home, Celia.
Vána
Member # 3262

quote:
Vána will also discover that she is more important than Lime.
[Blushing]

Finally! Some recognition! Some affirmation! It's about darn time, too!

[Taunt]

celia60
Member # 2039

all i can say is, mua ha ha hahahahaha!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

celia would you mind fwding the e-mail to my work addy? aisbell@johncrane.com

unfortunately I can't check yahoo mail from work, the servers are uber virus paranoid.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Have you guys done any e-mailing today and have you gotten a couple of messages I sent from work yesterday? Sometimes my server acts up and I never know if things have gotten through.

Haven't gotten any e-mails today about the picnic.

AJ

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Did not recieve anything today.
Vána
Member # 3262

I have neither given nor received...uh, I mean...

Darn that University Honor Code!

I have neither sent no received any e-mails about the concert, etc. today.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

*relieved*
ok just making sure!

aJ

celia60
Member # 2039

The last email I got was from Dan_Raven yesterday. There are a few email addresses on it that I don't recognize and I am left to wonder who he's sent my phone number to!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

the only e-mails I got at my work account were from you celia

I'll go home and check yahoo.

AJ

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this? Weird Al is on tour??? Where is Rockford in Illinois, and where are you guys? Maybe I could link up with you!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Rockford is on the extreme northern edge of Illinois, and the date and location of the concert is on the first page of this thread. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.